27-12-2020, 14:37   #556
tabbey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mick Tator View Post

Seasons greetings to everyone; hopefully 2021 will see us getting out and about more regularly!
Same to yourself and your family, especially Dick and Tess.
Thanks from:
Advertisement
28-12-2020, 00:13   #557
Mick Tator

Quote:
Originally Posted by tabbey View Post
Same to yourself and your family, especially Dick and Tess.
Thanks Tabbey,
The twins Agi & Iri also send love, as does Uncle Anno. (Due to Covid Auntie Stenu is isolated but I'm sure she'd say "Hi!".)
Thanks from:
13-01-2021, 15:04   #558
L1011

Got my AncestryDNA results back; lots of matches to work through and a brick wall probably down it seems - only because the person I was talking to on the other side got his father to do a test; who is matching - his own test didn't!

The ethnicity is very, very - almost disturbingly - accurate to where my fathers family are from. Not one element of my mothers; even though I have matches on that side. Is this normal?
Thanks from:
13-01-2021, 16:54   #559
pinkypinky

Well, see previous discussions, it's taking the county level from trees from your matches, not your actual DNA. Mine shows a bunch of counties that I have confirmed ancestry in too.
13-01-2021, 17:04   #560
L1011

I've huge volumes of matches on my mother's side with accurate county info - I'd be expecting Tipperary to have a significant impact from that. Odd anyway.

The match that didn't make it one generation down was 5th (him) versus 4th once removed (his father) so pushing it. His research going back further is not of a documentary standard I'd be happy with doing myself now but better than I'd have done five years ago
Thanks from:
Advertisement
13-01-2021, 20:08   #561
L1011

I specifically wanted to find a connection to that other user; and now have - slightly dearer than I'd like to have spent but its done now.

I noticed some suggestions (edit: hints system not DNA, they were there already) for someone, no idea what relation, with a putative ScotlandsPeople entry for a marriage for the great grandparents I had most trouble getting further back on. I knew they'd worked in Scotland but never looked for a wedding there.

Has to be them; gives me his mother's much rarer maiden name and I've managed to find a 1901 census record and a few birth and wedding certs - plus someone with his parents on her tree but inchorently, in a manner that'd suggest his father was married five times! Was widow on the wedding cert so twice definitely...

edit: there was a post above this I was replying to, now its gone the start of this post looks very weird!

Last edited by L1011; 14-01-2021 at 09:57.
Thanks from:
14-01-2021, 10:00   #562
pinkypinky

That is great - Ancestry has given me a couple of very valuable hints abroad over the years.

Finding a marriage in Scotland is wonderful since they give so much detail.
Yesterday, 12:11   #563
L1011

Using some down time while waiting to see if any DNA matches reply to me to find certs that would have cost money and/or been impossible to track down in the past (common names)

I'm able to track my great-great-grandfathers career in the DSER via his kids birth certs - ticket collector - clerk - assistant station master - station master. I'd intended to go to the IRRS to see if they had records but I may have found as much info via certs as they could give me!
(2) thanks from:

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion