Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Off topic: chat

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭CassieManson

My great grandparents got married a couple of months AFTER the birth of their first child.

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭Garlinge

The age of the couple might have affected date of marriage. Was parental consent needed for under 21 yrs olds to marry? My grandfather married just a few days after his 21st birthday and a child born 3 mths later. His bride was older. Neither parents knew in advance. He was also an apprentice tailor and I think there were rules of not marrying until apprenticeship completed.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,616 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

Open to correction, but I don't think so. Also possibly different laws at different times. You'd need to consult something like Marriage in Ireland for the definitive.

Genealogy Forum Mod

Sorry my case was in UK in 1916.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,651 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Oddest Ancestry message / info request ever - cousin of my partner asking about someone on the stub-tree I have for him; mainly just census records up the surname line because I don't actually know the family that well. Suspect they're trying to do a tree as a surprise for their mother as the question they're asking me is entirely an "ask your mother, she'll know" thing. Its about someone who only died in the late 80s!

Did a quick check on familysearch for post-now-public, pre-58 records for the person in question and found some likelies but not sure its worth dealing with however complicated the GRO are currently for them.

• Advertisement

Absolutely love this Halloween-related story about getting the OAP.

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=4013986485283580&id=224048917610708

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,302 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

I often wonder what were the real stories that prompted these references to the fairies?

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,651 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Did a flying visit to the inlaws today, and was told of a brother of his great greatmother who'd died early in WWI with no body found. Semi common name in all of Ireland; but only one Irish soldier with that name, memorialised rather than a grave, and its the right town - but a really common name for the county.

If I'm willing to trust this is them - and their 1911 census record has a sister with the right name and there's a wedding record for her name to the right name for her husband, with another really common name for the county - this gives me another two generations back because there's a widowed mother living with them in 1901

I still have a horrible feeling I'm adding someone else family to the tree though

Sounds like the facts line up. Can you fan out a bit more and see if can find some more corroborating facts? Try newspapers? Local ones report WWI deaths.

Genealogy Forum Mod

BNA for that area; I'm intending to get a sub imminently as I expect work to be VERY quiet in January and I've a lot of other historical research to do.

Have INA and Irish Times already, but not much of use there.

• Advertisement

Excellent. I love a project like that. Just be careful of the old confirmation bias.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭Mick Tator

Military records should show a next-of -kin, so that would be another bit of evidential proof.

Seasons greetings to everyone; hopefully 2021 will see us getting out and about more regularly and easily. I've a couple of old books to review in the NLI - I'm terrified to conclude a research piece just in case all the indicators I have accepted might have led me to an incorrect conclusion!

I've just found an absolutely surreal coincidence

Searching for a death record for my partners great-great-grandfather, I noticed the probable death record for his son of the same name. Definitely him, and the informant is his brother in law / partners great grandfather.

The record directly above it is the same informant (same address) for the death of his own mother a few days earlier. Confirms her somewhat strange first name and gives me a confirmed census record of the family.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,111 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

I have BNA if you wanted a quick sweep.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,943 ✭✭✭tabbey

Mick Tator wrote: »

Seasons greetings to everyone; hopefully 2021 will see us getting out and about more regularly!

Same to yourself and your family, especially Dick and Tess.

tabbey wrote: »
    Same to yourself and your family, especially Dick and Tess.
    Thanks Tabbey,
    The twins Agi & Iri also send love, as does Uncle Anno. (Due to Covid Auntie Stenu is isolated but I'm sure she'd say "Hi!".)

Got my AncestryDNA results back; lots of matches to work through and a brick wall probably down it seems - only because the person I was talking to on the other side got his father to do a test; who is matching - his own test didn't!

The ethnicity is very, very - almost disturbingly - accurate to where my fathers family are from. Not one element of my mothers; even though I have matches on that side. Is this normal?

Well, see previous discussions, it's taking the county level from trees from your matches, not your actual DNA. Mine shows a bunch of counties that I have confirmed ancestry in too.

Genealogy Forum Mod

I've huge volumes of matches on my mother's side with accurate county info - I'd be expecting Tipperary to have a significant impact from that. Odd anyway.

The match that didn't make it one generation down was 5th (him) versus 4th once removed (his father) so pushing it. His research going back further is not of a documentary standard I'd be happy with doing myself now but better than I'd have done five years ago

I specifically wanted to find a connection to that other user; and now have - slightly dearer than I'd like to have spent but its done now.

I noticed some suggestions (edit: hints system not DNA, they were there already) for someone, no idea what relation, with a putative ScotlandsPeople entry for a marriage for the great grandparents I had most trouble getting further back on. I knew they'd worked in Scotland but never looked for a wedding there.

Has to be them; gives me his mother's much rarer maiden name and I've managed to find a 1901 census record and a few birth and wedding certs - plus someone with his parents on her tree but inchorently, in a manner that'd suggest his father was married five times! Was widow on the wedding cert so twice definitely...

edit: there was a post above this I was replying to, now its gone the start of this post looks very weird!

• Advertisement

That is great - Ancestry has given me a couple of very valuable hints abroad over the years.

Finding a marriage in Scotland is wonderful since they give so much detail.

Genealogy Forum Mod

Using some down time while waiting to see if any DNA matches reply to me to find certs that would have cost money and/or been impossible to track down in the past (common names)

I'm able to track my great-great-grandfathers career in the DSER via his kids birth certs - ticket collector - clerk - assistant station master - station master. I'd intended to go to the IRRS to see if they had records but I may have found as much info via certs as they could give me!

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭kanadams123

I have just compiled a list of 134 first cousins of my Great- grandmother from county Cork!
    I was lucky to be provided with some hand written information from a 3rd cousin of mine. The information on these pages - was provided orally by one of the brothers of my great-grandmother many years ago to his son - who wrote it as he spoke.
    It took a while - but I found records to confirm all the information - and I was quite surprised with the accuracy of the verbal information. It is great as there is some information on the notes that would be impossible to find out via BMD records or census records etc.

My great grandmothee's mother came from a family of 8 - each married with at least 10 children each. Similar situation with her paternal side.

I plan to now compile the information into a book and provide it to as many relatives as I can!

Can you imagine finding all the requisite records in

a: the RootsIreland pay per view, pay per search era or even worse,
    b: the pre-Internet era of GRO paper indices, search fees and cert fees

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭kanadams123

L1011 wrote: »

I would never have been able to do that with this particular family! Mother's side was the surname Sullivan/O'Sullivan - father was McCarthy !! Popular names of the cousins include Ellen, Mary, Con, John , Denis etc. ! Could the names get any more common ?!!
    In some cases I had to browse through 70/80 records on irishgeneaology before finding the right one!

It goes to show how lucky we are to have these records on irishgeneaology available to us at a click !
    I am forever grateful for this and the work put in to have these available!

L1011 wrote: »

I fully agree. Were I to have paid €5 per BMD cert looked at since Christmas I’d have spent well more than €1,000. Add to that my views of the Will Calendars and the Censuses and it’s probably near the same again. (Well, I would not have done it were it not free!:))

However, it has been a fascinating bit of research – I’m working on a family story that dates to the 1870’s – a widow, somehow ancestrally related to my mother’s line, who married as a second husband my 2nd great uncle, was again widowed and subsequently remarried twice, the issue of the third marriage also intermarried with distant cousins. What I've discovered so far is the complex web of relationships that existed within a trade (victuallers), local community and an extended family grouping in the second half of the 19thC.

That sounds like it would make a great article or presentation!

I just finished some work for a client where one of the ancestors was married four times. 2 of his wives were sisters. At least 13 children. The last wife outlived him.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭mindhorn

Speaking of articles/presentations, has anyone ever tried their hand at putting together some sort of family book? It would be nice to put what I've researched so far into some digestible format instead of family tress/reports/etc. Feel free to post links to other public examples as I'm looking for a bit of inspiration at the moment.

Good topic! A subject I have struggled with... There are a few 'stand out' characters and a family tree chart does not do justice to their lives. I have thought of doing a novel type approach for them? Again pure luck to have discovered extra information on their lives. Thus perhaps unfair to highlight them as others had their stories too. Just to have survived to pass on life to next generation, sufficient to honour them, especially when you see the rough times the relatively poor had in 19th century and the millions who died in wars of the 20th century.

• Advertisement

mindhorn wrote: »
    Speaking of articles/presentations, has anyone ever tried their hand at putting together some sort of family book? It would be nice to put what I've researched so far into some digestible format instead of family tress/reports/etc. Feel free to post links to other public examples as I'm looking for a bit of inspiration at the moment.

There are several ‘family history’ examples online - the. best link to them is through links on this blogspot. (It’s a good portal for other sites also.)
    Turtle Bunburry has a few on there and you can see how he tackles it. Many of the books are dated, rather Victorian in language/format but you will get ideas.

I’ve made a start by preparing a timeline of historical events – start at your earliest ancestor and describe what was happening in Ireland at that time with emphasis on the area in which they lived. For example (for 1900 onwards-
    1903 The Wyndham Act
    1905 Foundation of Sinn Fein
    1906 Home Rule / Redmond
    1914 / 18 The Great War
    1916 The Easter Rising
    1920 The War of Independence The Black and Tans
    1921 The Treaty Departure of the British
    1922 The Army Split and the Civil War

Loads of stuff to cover there,

I then took the key biographical detail of as many individuals as possible and working them up into a ‘brief bio’ format. For an idea of this have a look at the IGRS site – about 50 historic stories/bios by members.

Next I interwove those stories into the timeline, outlining their roles (if he/she had one) in particular events. Don’t forget to put in photos, maps, etc. where possible. Readers love the salacious stuff, premarital pregnancies, petty sessions reports, crimes.

Still a work in progress, a long way from finished.

Advertisement