Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Social Network Group in Cork

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭mudokon

Worker wrote: »
    Hi everyone,
    Kinda new to boards.ie and came accross this thread. Am very interested in joining this social club. Have been back in Ireland a few years and my friends are all settled. So the social life is disastrous and want to meet up with new people like myself in the same boat. Hopefully will broaden my social circle! I'm wondering is there certain criteria to join? Would a female, 40, professional qualify?? Who can i contact to get more info?
    colblimp wrote: »
    When's the next meet, peeps? I'm a newly single, 42 year old male who's looking for some friends as the last 6 years have all been about 'her'... :(
    If you here anything Colblimp let me know. Don't know if there is specific criteria to join this group but would be ball game!! Sick of looking at the four walls.

Hi, there doesnt really seem to be that much activity in this thread, there are a couple of other threads that may interest you though. There is the Boards Jan meet up or the Cork social outings threads.

hope this helps :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭colblimp

If you here anything Colblimp let me know. Don't know if there is specific criteria to join this group but would be ball game!! Sick of looking at the four walls.

I'm in exactly the same position - I'm getting cabin fever! It might be worth taking a look at the threads that Mudokon suggested, there might be something good there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 realtin8

AutumnDays wrote: »
    Hey guys

I'm Irish, recently returning back to Cork after several years working abroad. I've just started a social network group, for those like myself returning to Cork after working away, or for anyone else who'd like to expand their social network. So far there are 10 of us, guys and gals, in the 25-40 age group.

The idea is do something casual, meet up a pub in the city once a fortnight, and have some fun. So if you're interested in joining in, send me a PM here and I'll let you know when our next meet-up is.
    :)
    hi,just saw your post. its a great idea. i lived away for a time ,alot of my friends still live abroad or relocated up the country. it would be nice to meet friends in cork! if you can let me know if your group is still active and still meet that would be great. thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 33 dineel

Hi, Is this group still going?..I am female in early 30's moved from Dublin, 5 years ago and since then just finding it impossible to have any regular social life in Cork..Social life non existant with work, and friends all settled so finding my wends are spend in watching the telly.. Really gets to me..Would love 2010 to be the year where this is turned around.. I'd talk to anyone but can be fairly shy at first..so would love to hear from others in a similiar situation in Cork..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭lukin

Hey count me in too!

• Advertisement

dineel wrote: »
    Hi, Is this group still going?..I am female in early 30's moved from Dublin, 5 years ago and since then just finding it impossible to have any regular social life in Cork..Social life non existant with work, and friends all settled so finding my wends are spend in watching the telly.. Really gets to me..Would love 2010 to be the year where this is turned around.. I'd talk to anyone but can be fairly shy at first..so would love to hear from others in a similiar situation in Cork..

Hi Dineel, there never seems to be anybody in this thread except for people asking if this group is still active unfortunately. :(

There are a few threads that may interest you though.
    Feb Boards Meet up
    Cork Social Outings
    Cork Cinema Nights

Feel free to suggest any ideas you have for trips in them.

Looks like Pool (Feb meet up thread) will be happening sometime in the next week or two but that may be a midweek thing.

dineel wrote: »

yeah its a real shame this site dosent seem to be running anymore.i read your post and you sound just like me!! early thirties,female, my friends are either settled or still living abroad and i find weekends hard to get anyone out for a meet up and a laugh,cant spend my life stuck in watching movies!!!!!!
    if the people who still visit this site are interested in keeping it going and organising our own meet ups and see how it goes?? i dont know if anyones interested????

realtin8 wrote: »
    yeah its a real shame this site dosent seem to be running anymore.i read your post and you sound just like me!! early thirties,female, my friends are either settled or still living abroad and i find weekends hard to get anyone out for a meet up and a laugh,cant spend my life stuck in watching movies!!!!!!
    if the people who still visit this site are interested in keeping it going and organising our own meet ups and see how it goes?? i dont know if anyones interested????

I'd be interested depending on what sort of things people are into, I'm a bit bored of the pub scene so would love to hear of things other than that if people are going to them.

mudokon wrote: »
    I'd be interested depending on what sort of things people are into, I'm a bit bored of the pub scene so would love to hear of things other than that if people are going to them.

open to all suggestions but going for a drink is a relaxed atmosphere to start with when people dont know each other, meals, paintballing, cinema ,and any option people give. its open to all people, suggestions and interests

• Registered Users Posts: 5,114 ✭✭✭corkcomp

open to all suggestions but going for a drink is a relaxed atmosphere to start with when people dont know each other, meals, paintballing, cinema ,and any option people give. its open to all people, suggestions and interests

agree with ya there! i am male late 20's, was planning on going to next beers / meet up If I can, never been to one before! .. all new folks should try to go

• Advertisement

I agree that when meeting for the first time a pub is a better place as people can relax a little more especially when trying to find out what people are interested in. So I would still be interested if that is what was happening.

I was talking with one of the other guys from here & it is a shame that there arent more late night cafes (like Tribes) around where there is a nice atmosphere in there & you are able to just sit & chat with people.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,487 ✭✭✭kingtut

realtin8 a lot of those things are already highly active within the Cork forum, you just need to check out these threads to see!

Feb Boards Meet up
    Cork Social Outings
    Cork Cinema Nights

The cinema nights have been organised by Mudokon. On occasion other people organise pub nights and photo walks etc

Pub trips, bowling, pool, dinner etc are usually organised by me. The more the merrier. We had a bowling night last month which 12 people came to followed by 2/3 others who came to the pub with us afterwards.

The plan for this month is to go for dinner and also to have a pool night.
    Check out this thread Feb Boards Meet up for this months event ( I create a new thread every month).

As I am not the owner of this thread I cannot tell you how active / good it is however all are welcome to partake in anything I organise :)

I've noticed a lot of people say "I'd be into doing anything" but nothing ever gets organised! I'm like a few other posters on here, no social life, no real friends to speak of but I want to start meeting people. I went on the recent bowling trip, which was a great night and then the cinema trip last week, which was also good. I just wish there were more events 'organised'.

With that in mind, I propose a swimming trip tomorrow at 14:00 at Mayfield pool. Now I know it's short notice, and not everyone can swim - I'm still learning - but all too often a date is organised that can be 2 - 3 weeks away, which isn't the best.

So if anyone wants to join me for a swim (I use the term loosely!) tomorrow, get yourselves up to Mayfield pool and in the water at 14:00. I'll be wearing a bright yellow swim hat, a pair of black Aquasphere knee length trunks and a pair of Zoggs goggles. So there. :D

I've noticed a lot of people say "I'd be into doing anything" but nothing ever gets organised! I'm like a few other posters on here, no social life, no real friends to speak of but I want to start meeting people. I went on the recent bowling trip, which was a great night and then the cinema trip last week, which was also good. I just wish there were more events 'organised'.

With that in mind, I propose a swimming trip tomorrow at 14:00 at Mayfield pool. Now I know it's short notice, and not everyone can swim - I'm still learning - but all too often a date is organised that can be 2 - 3 weeks away, which isn't the best.

So if anyone wants to join me for a swim (I use the term loosely!) tomorrow, get yourselves up to Mayfield pool and in the water at 14:00. I'll be wearing a bright yellow swim hat, a pair of black Aquasphere knee length trunks and a pair of Zoggs goggles. So there. :D

I cant make that, usual excuses! anybody fancy very last minute boards beers tomorrow night somewhere in town? newbies especially? anyone who is free post back here ..

corkcomp wrote: »
    I cant make that, usual excuses! anybody fancy very last minute boards beers tomorrow night somewhere in town? newbies especially? anyone who is free post back here ..

I knew it! Surely someone has got a spare hour for a swim and a laugh?

kingtut wrote: »
    As I am not the owner of this thread I cannot tell you how active / good it is however all are welcome to partake in anything I organise :)

There doesnt ever seem to be anybody post in this thread though apart from people who ask if the group is still going so maybe they have an active group who know each other by now so dont use this thread anymore.

I think a lot of it is that people are new so dont want to come across to pushy. I've only met a few people here a couple of times. Also it is hard to try to find activities that everybody is interested in.

As we are coming into spring now hopefully we could get some outdoor activities going on. I've been looking up walking tours around Cork or even if there was someone on here that had a good knowledge of good walks around the city. Hopefully we could get some kind of interest in that sort of thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭wispyman

I just sent a PM to AutumnDays but he/she has not posted on here for a while so I have no idea if it will reach them. Is anyone on here involved with their group and if so can you tell me how I make contact??

Regards,

Malcolm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 DLohan

wispyman wrote: »
    I just sent a PM to AutumnDays but he/she has not posted on here for a while so I have no idea if it will reach them. Is anyone on here involved with their group and if so can you tell me how I make contact??

Regards,

Malcolm

I'm wondering if it is still on the go. I have just moved to Cork and I want to get to know the business community. Might be good to setup a Professional Networking group. I have a few ideas.

• Registered Users Posts: 960 ✭✭✭Blueskye

I'm trying to set up a group to get to know more people in Cork as I've only recently moved down here. I'm not sure I can post the link to the group here or not but PM me if you want the details.

I want the details, I want the details!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 48 AutumnDays

There doesnt ever seem to be anybody post in this thread though apart from people who ask if the group is still going so maybe they have an active group who know each other by now so dont use this thread anymore.

Hi guys

Sorry, I have got very lazy - the group grew to a good size, so I haven't been as actively posting. I may have to hang my hat and pass the baton one of these days, as it's running nearly 3 years now.

Anyway, I'll get back to all the PM's now. Next get together will be Thursday, May 6th.

Thanks for all the interest!
    I want the details, I want the details!
    Too cute! :D

AutumnDays wrote: »
    Too cute! :D

Yes, I am. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,251 ✭✭✭Sandvich

I find it hard to meet people in Cork, even online; there's nowhere decent to go.

Having more "social groups" geared towards a particular interest would be really nice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 dmchealy

Hey guys if ye are between 17 and 35 and looking for something social, a way to meet new people while trying your hand at some activities like public speaking, sports (e.g. tag rugby, soccer, Volleyball, basketball etc), performing arts (e.g. one act drama competitions), travel, weekends away etc....why not think about joining Leeside Macra? we're having a bowling night tomorrow night (22nd April) at 9pm in the Mardyke, all are welcome. Macra has traditionally been a rural organisation but there's been a huge appetite to set a club up in the City, so come along and see if it's for you. you can email leesidemacra@gmail.com if you want more details, hope to see ye all tomorrow night for a bit of craic!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Douchebag

Sandvich wrote: »
    I find it hard to meet people in Cork, even online; there's nowhere decent to go.

Having more "social groups" geared towards a particular interest would be really nice.
    yeah, i'm new to Cork and I'm finding it hard to meet people to go on nights out with and stuff.

Finding hard to locate social groups where new people to the city can get involved and meet other newbies and locals.

Leeside Macra, Cork's newest social club is in full swing, if you are between 17 and 35 and looking to meet new people while trying your hand at a range of activities such as Tag Rugby, drama, debating, hillwalking, travel....then come along to the Spailpín Fánach Bar on South Main St. this tuesd 1st June at 8.30pm to meet the gang and see what's coming up over the next few months. We're planning on hillwalking on Galtee Mór on Sunday 20th June and we play tag rugby every sunday at 7.30 in Upper Glanmire behind the hall. you can email leesidemacra@gmail.com for more info or check us out on facebook.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 allbout_bewbs

dmchealy wrote: »
    Leeside Macra, Cork's newest social club is in full swing, if you are between 17 and 35 and looking to meet new people while trying your hand at a range of activities such as Tag Rugby, drama, debating, hillwalking, travel....then come along to the Spailpín Fánach Bar on South Main St. this tuesd 1st June at 8.30pm to meet the gang and see what's coming up over the next few months. We're planning on hillwalking on Galtee Mór on Sunday 20th June and we play tag rugby every sunday at 7.30 in Upper Glanmire behind the hall. you can email leesidemacra@gmail.com for more info or check us out on facebook.

ya need to be a farmer too tho right :eek:

ya need to be a farmer too tho right :eek:

nope you dont need to be a farmer to join macra. thanks for the PM BTW.. very revealing, not :D

There are farmers in Macra but it's basically just a youth club for 17-35 year olds, who are looking for something different and a way to meet new people! Hope some of you can come along tomor night at 8.30pm in Spailpín Fánach Bar on SOuth Main St! email leesidemacra@gmail.com or look at the facebook page for more info.

• Advertisement

corkcomp wrote: »
    nope you dont need to be a farmer to join macra. thanks for the PM BTW.. very revealing, not :D

6f07ba1870f1ed2b0fbaa7b651dbdbd1.jpg

Advertisement