Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Your Body Shape?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭MissElle

What type of shape do you have to your body?
    I'm pretty much straight up and down, a pillar shape I think?

Are you happy, or at least content, with your shape?
    Not really happy, I'm just under 8 stone and 5'6, wouldn't mind gaining another half stone. Ever since I had a colostomy bag reversal a couple of years ago, trying to gain weight has been difficult.

Are you more concerned or bothered by your body shape, or your general weight? More concerned that I look a little thin, but I don't mind my shape overall.

Do you find it difficult to get clothes to fit, or look well because of your shape? No I generally find clothes shopping ok, I just can't wear anything tight across the stomach as I get awful pains. Still trying to find a good pair of jeans :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭Censorsh!t

Sometimes I'm happy with my shape, but mostly not.

I'm quite slim, average height, and about 8-9 stone. However, I don't like my shape, most of my weight seems to be down by my hips and my ass and my tummy, while I have pretty small boobs then on top. I think if I made the effort and worked out, then I would be a lot happier....but I just never seem to get around to it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,215 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Damn, I'd love an hourglass figure - Kelly Brook and her out of Mad Men are two lucky gals!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,058 ✭✭✭✭Abi

Another hour-glass. I've got big boobs, and have some hips and tushy. I've a flat tummy though (thankfully). When I was younger I wanted to be taller, but I love that I'm not now. I'm 5"2 and happy out :)

Body confidence wise, yeah I suppose I'm fine with it. finding clothes are a nightmare though. A flat tummy is wasted on me because I've to constantly buy bigger clothes to account for the boobs or there is horrible gappage. I'd be happier if I was down to a B or a C.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭doctorwhogirl

I'd say a peary hourglass. I am smaller on top than on bottom but have a relatively defined waist. Not majorly so but enough to give me that in out thing.
    I'm 5ft 4. I have big boobs really, 34DD dd. My legs are short, would wear a 30" trouser mostly and they're big my legs! I've a big backside really too!

I wear a size 10 on top and in dresses but usually a 12 in trousers but it depends on the trousers/jeans!

My shoulders/top part of my back is my leanest part really and while my arms still have fecking bingo wings, they're toned enough. Not skinny but toned.

I used to be 16 stone and am now just over 10 stone which was a huge thing. Am a year at this weight now. I do like my shape in clothes but I do think I still look tubby/chunky a lot particularly because of my bigger bottom half. I have curves anyway which I like but sometimes I wish I was taller with a longer body (legs/back) etc...

I much prefer myself from the front than from the side. Hate how wide I look from the side.

Are you more concerned or bothered by your body shape, or your general weight?
    More my body after losing weight really. I do like my new body but losing weight changes your body and as we all know your body doesn't always spring to the way it was. I'm only 24, which helped. Above my belly button and my lower tummy I have paunches. From the side it's like a small bump where I would have carried a lot of weight. They're never going to be flat and the skin all tight because they carried weight for so long. I'm learning to live with that. Same with my boobs. They were HUGE, a 40 F or so and so they're not that nice anymore really :( But I'm at a healthy weight which is really important and in clothes I can look nice. I just wish I could be happier with my body out of clothes.

Do you find it difficult to get clothes to fit, or look well because of your shape?
    hard to get boots as I have largish calfs.
    Most things fit around my boobs now but it can be a problem at times.
    Annoyingly when I'm getting dresses and I need the 10 on top and if it's a fitted dress I may need a 12 on top so I either have a loose fitting top on the dress or a tight bottom round my arse! :rolleyes:

Holdy in knickers help with the tummy area in tight outfits but don't really like wearing them. I remember reading a comment on here from some guy saying he felt that spanx and the likes could be brought to the small claims as they were false advertisement. :mad:Unfortunately that comment has definitely adding to me being more conscious of using them!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23 Catherine!

I'm probably the envy of lots of women! I'm a size 8 or 10 in most things, and only weigh about 7.5 stone which is in the healthy range for my height, but I have curves as well. My bottom half is more curvy than my top half, though, and I don't really have a cleavage at all.

I don't really need to make any effort to stop myself putting on weight.

Overall I'm happy with my body shape. It's barely changed since I was about 12, but I've read that women tend to naturally put on weight/get more curvy in their 20s (I'll be 20 in 3 months).

Catherine! wrote: »
    I'm probably the envy of lots of women!

Wow

• Registered Users Posts: 31 listen to me now

but to have other women envoius of u then u need some cleavage.... i`m not talkin jordan stupid big just normal

• Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭loalae

I find it really difficult to find any clothes that I feel comfortable in. I'm slightly pear shaped and I always feel frumpy.

I'm not overweight, but my thighs and bum look bulky and I can look like I have a spare tyre when my clothes don't fit properly.

I hate reading about what pear-shapes should wear because it's always about what needs to be covered or disguised or balanced. There doesn't seem to be anything positive to say about this particular shape.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

Lia_lia wrote: »
    All this talk about larger chests not fitting into dresses...I have a small chest and also find it difficult to find dresses to fit! Anything with a wrap-over type top always hangs off me. And most satin-ish material shift dresses. And strapless dresses are just a no! Only things that work are usually the really clingy ones.

I agree. I'm a 32F/FF and I've never found it that hard to find clothing that fits me. Not harder than anybody else anyway. Clothing isn't made for any one body shop, everybody sees clothes they love that don't look good on them because the shape is off.

Fashions make it easier and harder for people in cycles, too. I wasn't a huge fan of the empire lines and tunics that were all over the place until a year or so ago. I'm short and hourglass so something that hung from my boobs made me look shorter and over-weight/pregnant. But now that various styles of shift dresses are the style du jour (thank you Mad Men and Christina Hendricks) I find it a lot easier, whereas women who don't suit that style will have it tougher for a while and then it will be on to something else.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31 listen to me now

j lo is pear shaped and one of the sexiest women in the world. be happy wit who u are but if ya wanna change just work out hard for a few months, get ure desired shape then maintain it

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭Ouchette

Built like a boy with boobs. Sort of point-down triangle shaped. Size 8ish (can be 6-10) on the bottom half and 12ish on the top half (34C) but with quite a broad back and shoulders for the rest of my frame. Only a 7-8inch difference between my hips and waist, so definitely not an hourglass.

Yup. I count myself very lucky in that there are no bits of me that I hate. That's not to say that if I could just wave a magic wand, I wouldn't change anything: I'd make myself a couple of inches taller (I'm 5ft 4) and unflatten my bum (although running is doing wonders for that. :D)

Neither bother me really, although I can see myself getting concerned about body shape more easily than weight because that'd happen if I suddenly didn't fit into my jeans anymore. I don't even know my weight. I've got a friend who's a recovering anorexic and if I don't know my weight then she can't find it out and get all competitive.

Do you find it difficult to get clothes to fit, or look well because of your shape?
    Trousers fit ok as long as the shop hasn't gone overboard on vanity sizing, except in Zara where I have to take them up about 5 inches. Tops are a pain because if they fit over my boobs, they're like a tent around the waist, and I completely avoid blouses or those tops with the line 'under' the bust. Dresses are difficult and normally I have to compromise by getting a size 12, so it's a size too big on the lower half and a size too small on the top half. Normally only wrap dresses, dresses with a deep V or belted 50s-style dresses work at all, and then full skirts don't work with my legs for some reason! But my real problem is finding clothes that suit me. Cap sleeves, any shoulder detail, high necklines, any chunky detail around the neckline... it all makes me look like an American Football player! At least my usual jeans and vest top is fine.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,715 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

5ft 7.5 inches, size 8 to 10 on the bottom, 28" for jeans, 32 DD boobs, about 9.5 stone now I think?

I am. And I feel happy and lucky yo say that. I was putting on a few lbs (could see it on my face, the worst place to notice it first :p ) there about six months ago and it was making unhappy. Having taken a two year break from ballet, I returned to classes and started walking/Couch to 5K. I was total quitter at Cto5K but I'm back on it again! Like many other posts in this thread, I wish I was more toned. Working on it! I do have a bit of hate with my thighs, but that can be worked on. Actually, being in NY for the summer and dealing with the heat means I'm wearing shorts every day. I'm getting far more comfortable with my legs being out there!

Sometimes I'd just mentioned oh, I'm going on a diet, or I've started exercising more to mates and they start on the "No way you don't need to don't be silly". When I say diet, I think they think I mean starving myself. No, I mean having a bit more control on what I put in my mouth (I'm a big eater, love my food and cooking). As for exercise, I'm not doing it to get thin, it's to get fit, toned and maybe get those thighs a little slimmer ;) To me, they're pretty bad attitudes to food and exercise. Both can be fun and can make you feel fantastic.

I would be more concerned about my weight. I'm happy enough with my shape now, and having put on some weight last year, I know where it goes, so if I don't want to add anymore there, I know how to control myself. Stupid face and tummy getting excess weight!

Like everyone else it seems, I have trouble with the boob department! I have to say though, splashing out on a few good bras makes a world of a difference. I got fitted for a strapless bra recently and wow, I can looks great and feel comfortable in a bandeau dress. Some things are unavoidable though. Got a lovely 1950s style day dress recently. The 8 fit my waist but squashed my boobs and the 10 fit the boobs but looked too big on the waist. I went for the next size up and cinched it with a belt.
    Shirts can be a problem as well, but a good bra can help with that, and a sneaky safety pin sometimes!

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Twee. wrote: »
    Got a lovely 1950s style day dress recently. The 8 fit my waist but squashed my boobs and the 10 fit the boobs but looked too big on the waist. I went for the next size up and cinched it with a belt.

Yeah, or it would be easy enough to get the dress altered so that the waist was size 8 and the boob part still size ten. :)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,715 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

Yeah, or it would be easy enough to get the dress altered so that the waist was size 8 and the boob part still size ten. :)

It's quite a full skirt, so a stitch wouldn't do it as it would mess up the line. Can't be affordin' to be paying someone to do it properly :p

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Catherine!

Wow
    but to have other women envoius of u then u need some cleavage.... i`m not talkin jordan stupid big just normal
    Whoops, maybe I sounded a bit big-headed in my post yesterday! The things some people might envy are being both slim and curvy, and that I can stay at this size with not much effort at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Mogget

Well I'm 5ft 4ins with a size six waist and 32B/C chest so I take an 8 in top clothes. I currently weigh 48/50kgs. I'm very athletic so everything I have is toned,toned,toned!

I love my body and as its one of my best features I work hard at keeping it that way (lots of exercise,good food etc)

Nope,wouldnt change it for the world

Sometimes. In Pennys especially I have to try on loads of the same thing as they all fit differently. I find that River Island fits my frame the best and their size 6's fit like a glove
    One great thing is that I can buy kids clothes/shoes so saves money:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,522 ✭✭✭Kanoe

5 4" , 8-10 and 9st. I weighed in at 8 1/2 st when exercising a lot and my period stopped and I started suffering fatigue so under doctors orders I've put weight back on and stopped strength training until my body figures itself out. Can't imagine what it would be like to be under 8st, but for me it would be unhealthy.
    I tend to look taller than I am until people get closer and realise I'm much smaller which probably says more about my build.
    I've broad shoulders, not much of a waist and small boobage but my thighs are chunky or more shapely, I think anyway (I was a swimmer). So I haven't a clue what category I would fall into.
    I know women complain about how difficult it might be to buy clothes for the bigger chested but I find its the opposite, so many gorgeous tops out there that are made to reveal bustyness and that just don't sit right unless there's something to fill them and I'd rather cut off my arm than wear an enhancing bra to suit. My daughter ends up wearing a lot of my tops and they just look so much better on her as she has cleavage...but then she complains that she'd rather not have it. ya just can't win.

happy enough but would prefer to be a bit fitter (and healthier) although I do miss muscles. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭omah

some great ideas here - thanks everyone!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 559 ✭✭✭Miss Olenska

Pear-shaped type body shape. My current measurements are 36C-28-39 on a 5'3.5" medium frame which makes me an on-the-nose size 12.

Yes, content but am in the process of getting down to an 8-10. But yes, I'm happy, I'm a healthy weight.

Weight more than shape definitely, I like my natural shape but want to drop about 10 pounds to bring me to approximately 8st 9lbs. I used to hate being pear-shaped, but now realise outside of hourglass, it's the best shape to be. At least the fat is where it should be!

No, my boobs are just slightly bigger than average so I usually never have problems, maybe occasionally with shirts or empire lines with a non-elastic seams. Bizarrely, I always take size 10 on top and always have done even before vanity sizing became rampant, even though I should be a 12. :confused: Take 12 on the bottom though at the moment.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭LeeHoffmann

What type of shape do you have to your body? I don't know. I've tried to figure it out a few times but can't. I'm average height for an Irish woman (5'5), I have a waist -i.e. not straight down, and I have a chest. I'm fairly proportional I think but my shoulders are just too big. I tend to lose weight from my legs and ass and put it on my tummy first.

Are you happy, or at least content, with your shape? it's ok. I feel a little squat - like I should be taller for how wide my shoulders are - I feel like a giant hand came along and just squashed me a little! :pac:

Are you more concerned or bothered by your body shape, or your general weight? My weight's ok. I'm in the healthy range. I'm a size 8-10 so I know I'm grand but I'm not toned at all so that side of 'weight' bothers me. I think what bothers me more than anything though is the shoulders so I guess shape bothers me more than weight.

Do you find it difficult to get clothes to fit, or look well because of your shape? I think you just have to know what clothes suit your shape. It doesn't matter what shape you are - there are clothes for you; you just need to know what to look for. I don't know what shape I am (hour glass, apple etc) but I know that floaty fabrics don't work on me - they just hang and make me look like a block or a tent. I need structure, tailoring, well-defined lines in clothes.

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭Cottontail

What type of shape do you have to your body? II'm not sure what shape I am, possibly a pear shape.

Are you happy, or at least content, with your shape? It's what I got so I have to make the most of it! Generally I'm happy enough, although I wish my thighs were skinnier. At the moment though I'm pregnant and feel huge some days but at least that's only a temporary condition!

Are you more concerned or bothered by your body shape, or your general weight? i'm not overly bothered by either to be honest. My Weight is fine, i'm usually 8.5 - 9st and i'm 5'7". As I mentioned earlier, I'm not mad about my thighs but I can't complain about anything else so I consider myself lucky.

Do you find it difficult to get clothes to fit, or look well because of your shape? No, I'm usually a size 10 and don't have many problems with clothes, although I accept that skinny jeans will never happen to me :D.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Da Shins Kelly

I'm quite happy with my body shape. I don't know what kind of body shape it is. I think it's possibly closest to hour-glass. It's not perfect, and I do have moments when I feel self-conscious, but overall I don't have much to complain about. I'm quite short, but I'm petite. I'm slim, I think my legs are pretty toned, although my stomach could do with some work (that I'm not going to do), and I have a small waist and hips. My boobs are quite big, but not out of proportion to the rest of my body I don't think. My bum is normal - not very big, but not flat.

I feel OK about my weight. I'm definitely not over-weight, or anything approaching it. I weigh about 8 1/2 stone or thereabouts. I'd like to be more toned though, I think.

Clothes-wise, I don't have too much trouble. I'm a size 8-10 and skinny jeans seem to be best for me. I think I'm too small for maxi-dresses and things like that, I just feel swamped in them. This kinda makes me sad, cos I love maxi-dresses and I'm kinda jealous of girls who can pull them off. I have to go for shorter dresses and skirts, or just skinny jeans and tank-tops. Long, flowing dresses are a no-go area for me.

I think I'm too small for maxi-dresses and things like that, I just feel swamped in them. This kinda makes me sad, cos I love maxi-dresses and I'm kinda jealous of girls who can pull them off.

Don't! Maxi dresses are mank! :)

Don't! Maxi dresses are mank! :)

in your opinion!

in your opinion!

Obviously. It was a jokey post.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭reap-a-rat

Kya1976 wrote: »
    I am a lot happier with my shape now than I ever was when I was younger. You have too many silly hangups when you're younger(or I did anyway). Especially when it comes to weight issues etc.

I never have any problems finding clothes really, I'm normally a size 12 or so, so an easy size to find in shops:) But of course you pick as 'flattering' clothes as possible when you go shopping, it doesn't matter what size or shape you are.:)

So you're the one who's been stealing all the 12s...:mad:!:pac:

What type of shape do you have to your body? I'm not really sure what all the shapes are about! I'd love to get the hourglass, which I think I can because I'm a 34C and I'd be a size 12 on bottom, but at the moment I am sporting some stellar love handles and a little too much of a belly!

Are you happy, or at least content, with your shape? As I said, I'd like to lose the flab on the belly! I'm really happy with my boobs and my ass, mainly because they give me control over my boyfriend:p! I am a lot more confident though since I got my beau, and I even get more attention from fellas just being more confident in my shape!

Are you more concerned or bothered by your body shape, or your general weight? Again, it's not the weight I'm bothered about. Some people could b way heavier than they look due to muscle mass etc. When I turn sideways and I'm really delighted with what I see, without "sucking in", I'll feel almost perfect:cool:!

No, I know what will look good or bad on myself, and I've plenty of folks around to tell me if I'm looking a bit on the chubby side or not;)!

All in all, I'm happy enough, but sure there's no harm striving to be better :D!

Obviously. It was a jokey post.

sorry, so was mine!!! damn lack of smiley....
    :o

sorry, so was mine!!! damn lack of smiley....
    :o

Sorry, my posts may have come across as bitchy too, not my intention. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,281 ✭✭✭Valentina

I'm 5'7", hourglass shape with a long torso.

Happy enough I suppose. I've been very inactive this year due to a couple of injuries and have noticed I'm getting a bit 'soft' so I'm looking forward to toning up again.

Not really. I'm more concerned with my overall fitness and health. I would take more interest in the size of my waist etc than what the scales says.

Because of my long torso I find it hard to get tops to cover my lower back and I can't wear low rise jeans (which seems to be all shops ever have!) as they move down when I sit. The clothes I have though, I think, they look well. I try to invest in quality pieces that fit properly as they can be few and far between.

Advertisement