Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Arcade Talk 24/7/365

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,772 ✭✭✭Jack burton

Yeah I know, ah he has to be factoring in people trying to get money off the price because nobody would pay that much for the Neo, even though it is lovely, its not a minter or anything

• Registered Users Posts: 34,369 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

FrancoB has some jamma volt meter thingys available, nice price too.

http://forum.arcadeotaku.com/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=26026&p=357495#p357495

He can also combine this with a headphone jack adapter.

Stupid question but whats the need for the volt metre things?

Master of the Universe

So you can make sure you're not frying/underpowering your boards ;)

Board health check basically.

Ah thats kind of what I thought...and now I know

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,196 ✭✭✭MrVestek

Ah thats kind of what I thought...and now I know

6a00e54ef2e21b88330168e8fcb6e3970c.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭TechnoFreek

o1s1n wrote: »
    So you can make sure you're not frying/underpowering your boards ;)

Board health check basically.

Id prefer to measure from the pcb and not the jamma edge to be sure of the voltage its getting

Master of the Universe

Id prefer to measure from the pcb and not the jamma edge to be sure of the voltage its getting

For £12 I think having a meter constantly attached isn't a bad investment. Sure, you could measure on the board directly, but I can't say I do that myself each time I connect up a board. Far too lazy :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭TechnoFreek

For £12 I think having a meter constantly attached isn't a bad investment. Sure, you could measure on the board directly, but I can't say I do that myself each time I connect up a board. Far too lazy :D

Agreed. Just meant in terms of accuracy!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 5,380 Mod ✭✭✭✭Optimus Prime

FrancoB has some jamma volt meter thingys available, nice price too.

http://forum.arcadeotaku.com/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=26026&p=357495#p357495

He can also combine this with a headphone jack adapter.

I cant login to that page, is this one of the things with the digital display on it? if anyone is buying one and feeling generous grab me one ill paypal you over the money if its £12 ? ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,717 ✭✭✭The Last Bandit

Its a Jamma extension with a LED panel meter fitted.

One like this , you can add to our existing loom if you like.

so you stick in the extension part between the pcb and jamma connector and it has a display attatched? if so thats pretty handy.

• Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭Casey120

With the board attached and working you have an accurate reading of the voltage drop from the PSU and can adjust for it .
    For PCB problems you have to measure further away from the Jamma edge on the board itself but that's not what these are for .

I have a couple of these for some time now but still haven't attached them to the cabs Jamma edges :o

• Registered Users Posts: 8,848 ✭✭✭Steve X2

I might grab a couple of the ones he makes that have the voltage display and also the 3.5mm headphone jack on the one JAMMA connector.

o1s1n, I think you have the headphone jack one. Does it output mono audio to just the one ear or does it come out over both?

Master of the Universe

The one he's selling at the moment is mono at the jack. He includes a little adapter which splits that mono signal out between both headphones. You can see it on the end of the headphone cable in this photo

2013-10-28155150_zps768029fa.jpg

The other one I bought from him (which is far less sophisticated with no button plug or auto switching) is stereo by default. Not sure why!

Master of the Universe

Just to say, these headphone jacks are also great for just muting your cabs. I've been meaning to try adding a CMOY 3.5mm amp to the line to bring in some volume control too.

Would anybody be willing to put a value on my bartop arcade unit?

I really am having a ****ty week... first my phone gets stolen, then I accidentally smash the LCD and entire screen housing of my laptop (hint: don't leave it sitting on top of your TV unit) and now it turns out that I owe the landlord just over three grand in back rent because my bank are a shower of ****.

So anyway yes... I'm sure you're all familiar with my arcade unit at this stage. It has a full hyperspin installation with the majority of mame titles, mega drive, n64, sega dreamcast, nes, snes, gameboy, gameboy colour, few PC games loaded like Sonic Generations, Street Fighter x Tekken, Super Street Fighter 4, Street Fighter 4 the Taito edition... burnout paradise.

It also gomes with an EMS TopGun III with integrated IR sensors. It'd break my heart to have to sell it but needs must at this stage. Besides I can always use the experience to build a newer and better unit.

Anyway... any idea how much it would sell for? Thanks. :-(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Dafuq happened with the bank? Sorry to hear that man

Master of the Universe

Wow, that's some serious bad luck. Broken gadgets aside, I'd be hounding the bank non stop until they sort that out.

Didn't a bartop sell recently enough on adverts for a small fortune?

Wow, that's some serious bad luck. Broken gadgets aside, I'd be hounding the bank non stop until they sort that out.

Didn't a bartop sell recently enough on adverts for a small fortune?

The standing order wouldn't process every couple of weeks and this mounted up.

I wouldn't have thought to check up on it to be honest with you. Apparently though even though the landlord was audited and knew that I owed him €1,000 last year he didn't bother to tell me and is only now telling me a year later.

Whether it's the bank's fault or not though they're not just going to give me back the money they failed to transfer as it wasn't credit in the first place, it's cash that I've already spent thinking that I had it spare.

I'm ready for Scarlet Johanssen to turn up at my door now begging me to take her... I'll have to have some serious amount of good luck to make up for this week.

Worst... week... ever...

So yeah anyway... how much you reckon it'd sell for? I think I'd probably have to get the marquee done aswell, unless somebody fancies having a bartop called 'MrVestek Arcade'.

• Advertisement

Achilles wrote: »
    Would anybody be willing to put a value on my bartop arcade unit?

I really am having a ****ty week... first my phone gets stolen, then I accidentally smash the LCD and entire screen housing of my laptop (hint: don't leave it sitting on top of your TV unit) and now it turns out that I owe the landlord just over three grand in back rent because my bank are a shower of ****.

So anyway yes... I'm sure you're all familiar with my arcade unit at this stage. It has a full hyperspin installation with the majority of mame titles, mega drive, n64, sega dreamcast, nes, snes, gameboy, gameboy colour, few PC games loaded like Sonic Generations, Street Fighter x Tekken, Super Street Fighter 4, Street Fighter 4 the Taito edition... burnout paradise.

It also gomes with an EMS TopGun III with integrated IR sensors. It'd break my heart to have to sell it but needs must at this stage. Besides I can always use the experience to build a newer and better unit.

Anyway... any idea how much it would sell for? Thanks. :-(

That sucks dude.
    Whats the actual hardware specs of whats inside the bartop? You cant charge a whole lot extra for the roms or hyperspin really as I'm sure you know(a few quid extra for the PC games unless they are the "El Dodge" versions).

So you are charging for the hardware you put into it, the time you put into it and also how the finished product looks.

I wouldnt be handing over 3k in back rent,
    I'd talk to your land lord a come to an agreement about paying a little extra every month.

urbanledge wrote: »
    I wouldnt be handing over 3k in back rent,
    I'd talk to your land lord a come to an agreement about paying a little extra every month.

Yeah well technically it is my fault as I should have been on top of what was happening with the bank.

I'm going to call him up later on and have a chat about it.

I know that I can't charge for the Hyperspin roms etc, I meant that the artwork etc and preview videos for them are all there.

The PC games are all legit but they're tied to my origin / steam accounts. Didn't think about that until just now.

Ugh...

The hardware is as follows:
    120gb SSD as boot drive
    500gb Sata 6Gb/sec hdd for roms / games
    8Gb RAM
    Motherboard: M2N68-LA
    Processor: AMD Athlon 11X215
    GPU: Club3d Radeon HD 3870, 512mb

Master of the Universe

So a guy over on AO posted pics of his gamesroom and had this amazing looking glass display case. I've seen something similar in arcade type photos, shops have them with their gear on display but it's locked.

Scrapedside.jpg

Scrapedsiderepair.jpg

Turns out they're from Ikea. Fairly reasonably priced too. Would look fantastic if it were full of your fancier collectable gaming stuff.

http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/catalog/products/10011055/#

Was out in Ikea about a month back and seen them, my brother has two of them with a load of comics and collectably stuff in them, look really well.

keithgeo wrote: »
    Was out in Ikea about a month back and seen them, my brother has two of them with a load of comics and collectably stuff in them, look really well.

Are they sturdy or would I need to secure them to a wall etc?
    Seems like an ideal candidate for some collectables and some IKEA dioder LEDs.

Seemed sturdy enough, think they have a heavy wooden base, i dont think my brother had them secured to the well to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,206 ✭✭✭unky chop chop

I don't know, you got to think about space.
    How much room am I wasting on one of those that could be space utilized with another cab:)

I use that method for everything in the house now...washing machines, do I REALLY need one?

Master of the Universe

I don't know, you got to think about space.
    How much room am I wasting on one of those that could be space utilized with another cab:)

I use that method for everything in the house now...washing machines, do I REALLY need one?

Women used wash boards for years ... just sayin' :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,206 ✭✭✭unky chop chop

Haaaaaa...She'll love that, I'll try use it tonight :)
    Man your onto something...also lose the diswasher for more cab real estate and she can wash the stuff in the sink.

feck it lose the sink as well and she can wash it in the bath while she's having one..bingo

Advertisement