Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Dreamer of the year (Arcade Edition)

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,180 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dr Bob

Oddly enough I was in a tabletop gaming shop a day or two ago (needed to check something , longstory), and felt completely lost .(I've never been in to the "other gaming".
    to paraphrase the guy from the big lebowski , I was out of my element.
    Niche shops (cos we are niche) can be scary and confusing and a bit overwhelming , and if the staff/ regulars arent prepared to be a little paitent and educate newbies , then those newbies will get the hell out of there as quickly as possible.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,094 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I used to collect Warhammer 40K as a kid. Even then Games Workshop was a horrible, disorientating place to visit.

You just needed to grab your copy of White Dwarf and get the hell out of there, lest you be approached by one of the workers.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,528 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Pale, pasty faced young men, who haven't seen the sun, locked away as they are in a dungeon painting tiny figures, but not prisoners, oh no... they asked to be there!

And since when are we niche???
    Doesn't everyone love retrogaming?
    Don't the folk over in the Xbox and PS forum just look here, too intimidated to post?
    Are we not Legends????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Don't the folk over in the Xbox and PS forum just look here, too intimidated to post?
    Are we not Legends????

I think we are legends, almost Sage-like if you will.

But to them, we are but relics, who can't handle 'modern' games & are afraid to embrace the 'realistic' approach & 'evolution' of games these days.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,528 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

But, but,
    I play Halo and I play Super Mario World!

I play GTAIV and Raiden III!

I play Crysis and R-Type!

Why aren't I cool to either camp then??

Why am I still a loser in both... ..sob, sob...

• Advertisement

But, but,
    I play Halo and I play Super Mario World!

I play GTAIV and Raiden III!

I play Crysis and R-Type!

Why aren't I cool to either camp then??

Why am I still a loser in both... ..sob, sob...

You, my friend, like most here, are a fan of games...be they old, new or indifferent. Whether they were released in the 80's, or announced at this years E3, you will still guage & play them by the same standards.

I find 'modern gamers' look upon retro gaming as quaint & cute. Little do they know, that almost all modern games are just poorly done rehashes of established classic formulas & tried and tested methods. Also, most modern 'hardcore' games, would have a poo attack at the difficulty and commitment required for some retro games.

I cleared Blops 2 - I iz hardcore

Ah fugg off, have a bash at Majoras Mask & lets see how hardcore you are

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,801 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I just kicked over the hornets nest in the JRPG forum for posting an article about FFVII which was one of the best retrospectives I've read on the game. Apparently FFVII is a 10/10 game with such huge cultural significance that it's beyond criticism. Like Bladerunner apparently. Ah, kids.

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    I just kicked over the hornets nest in the JRPG forum for posting an article about FFVII which was one of the best retrospectives I've read on the game. Apparently FFVII is a 10/10 game with such huge cultural significance that it's beyond criticism. Like Bladerunner apparently. Ah, kids.

We won't hear anything negative about Bladerunner...

Or you'll be looking for the wheelchair accessible seat on the plane to NYC!
    Me, Dino and Johnny will fix you up good!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,801 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Final Fantasy VII has equal artistic merit as bladerunner :P

• Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭a5y

EnterNow wrote: »
    You, my friend, like most here, are a fan of games...be they old, new or indifferent. Whether they were released in the 80's, or announced at this years E3, you will still guage & play them by the same standards.

I find 'modern gamers' look upon retro gaming as quaint & cute. Little do they know, that almost all modern games are just poorly done rehashes of established classic formulas & tried and tested methods. Also, most modern 'hardcore' games, would have a poo attack at the difficulty and commitment required for some retro games.

I cleared Blops 2 - I iz hardcore

Ah fugg off, have a bash at Majoras Mask & lets see how hardcore you are

What exactly happened to machismo?

I mean its never been an entirely good thing and was always a bit achingly embarrassing to watch if you've even a slight streak of introvert, but when has being able to use a joypad, listen to and scream abuse down a phone line at the same time sign of manliness. And don't forget the post game hazing either.

I think back when idiots had the good manners to murder and poison each other to the death to thin their own numbers it was a kind of progress. Now the EULAs and safety labels have let stuff spiral out of control.

I now hope the next gen have Star Trek tech built in. You know, the kind of kit that has sparks jump out of and kill whoever was near it at the time so you realise shiz is getting real yo, and its totally hardcore.

Please, please make it so. ;)

• Advertisement

The reason I don't play online multiplayer, aside from having no friends, is the first time I played PGR4 online I had a load of crap spouted by some muppet and his mate spoiling the race by tearing around the track the wrong way.... bye bye online multiplayer....

The reason I don't play online multiplayer, aside from having no friends, is the first time I played PGR4 online I had a load of crap spouted by some muppet and his mate spoiling the race by tearing around the track the wrong way.... bye bye online multiplayer....

Is it so hard for racing game programmers to have the foresight to disable collision detection on cars driving the wrong direction around a track for more than a few seconds? That and chat privileges.

Hell, after 60 seconds make their cars invisible, no collision detection and incapable of reactivating collision detection and placed joint last. Trolling exterminated on online racing. The End.

This should not be an issue. :confused:

After 60 seconds may the AV cables reach out and throttle the tossers.
    Actually, there is a setting on your profile, you can preclude events with rule breakers from appearing on your game list in the lobby. My bad.

After 60 seconds may the AV cables reach out and throttle the tossers.
    Actually, there is a setting on your profile, you can preclude events with rule breakers from appearing on your game list in the lobby. My bad.

That's just another part of the problem.

There shouldn't be a setting, it should simply be a disappointment and frustration for anyone attempting to troll, and it should require absolutely no consideration on the part of anyone else who's there to participate. A sort of "it just works out of the box" thing.

Similarly, there should be a filter that automutes anyone praising the CDi, (or at least increased the price they have to pay next time they want to buy a Live Subscription. Can't get rid of trolls? May as well tax them! :D).

wtf??
    someone posts saying rightly that its worth about 60 quid max
    some numpty then offers 140
    thats ignored!
    a month later someone offers 110
    thats accepted
    time passes
    someone asks if its still for sale
    yes
    how much ?
    140! (which for a start is wrong anyway as lowest accepted offer is now the max price ..also 140!!!!?!??!
    the offers come from valid (seemigly) accounts

frakin madness!

Dr Bob wrote: »
    wtf??
    someone posts saying rightly that its worth about 60 quid max
    some numpty then offers 140
    thats ignored!
    a month later someone offers 110
    thats accepted
    time passes
    someone asks if its still for sale
    yes
    how much ?
    140! (which for a start is wrong anyway as lowest accepted offer is now the max price ..also 140!!!!?!??!
    the offers come from valid (seemigly) accounts

frakin madness!

That ad is basically a zeitgeist for Adverts

That ad is basically a zeitgeist for Adverts

yeah
    I put that up for 50 I'd get
    offer 20/bag of crisps/swap for my ads(all for empty bags of crisps)
    its just depressing

Maybe he wants to keep it, but forces unknown to us have coerced him into posting it on Adverts....
    Frantically trying to figure a way out, a way to keep his beloved PS2, he comes up with a plan...
    The plan is to over price the machine by a factor of three, thereby ensuring that the console stays with him....

The only problem????
    What if some moron comes along and offers the asking!!!
    Then the nefarious interlopers will have achieved their enigmatic goal, the sale of the PS2 and the misery of the alleged seller.....

Or he knows how much it's worth and thinks he can fleece some fool....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,332 ✭✭✭valleyoftheunos

Maybe he wants to keep it, but forces unknown to us have coerced him into posting it on Adverts....
    Frantically trying to figure a way out, a way to keep his beloved PS2, he comes up with a plan...
    The plan is to over price the machine by a factor of three, thereby ensuring that the console stays with him....

The only problem????
    What if some moron comes along and offers the asking!!!
    Then the nefarious interlopers will have achieved their enigmatic goal, the sale of the PS2 and the misery of the alleged seller.....

Or he knows how much it's worth and thinks he can fleece some fool....

I'd say he is part of the the "this cost me €200 new" brigade, they generally have no idea of the market value of anything and want loads of money for everything.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,410 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Feck sake, just back from almost 5 days away in a field with absolutely no internet access. I am suffering extreme Arcade and Retro forum withdrawls - so much to read!!

Nice to see you're all still giving out about adverts anyway :D

• Registered Users Posts: 34,410 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Hahahahaha.

At those prices, you can pretend you've traveled back in time about 10-15 years and are buying all that crap new. All that's missing is the Punt.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,848 ✭✭✭Steve X2

What does one have to do to get a VGA 100 rating? I mean if something is new and in mint condition with absolutely no marks on it should it not be rated 100?

Just wondering as I might get my Rise of the Robots collection graded* :D:D:D :pac::pac::pac:

*Not really, I'm bad but not that bad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

• Registered Users Posts: 3,911 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

nuxxx wrote: »

I'm not defending the posting, but hasn't it become Adverts standard to inflate your prices just in the hopes of getting something remotely near your actual asking price? Such is the level of pathological haggling to be seen.

I remember Steve SI sold a 3DS virtually new, at a heavy bargain and before the price drop, and the ad was still pebble-dashed with haggles. I know it's idiotic to complain about chancers, I'm as guilty as anyone, for whinging and partaking in it, but Adverts seems to specialize in this unique brand of haggler that transcends to age-old tradition, and comes out the other side being slightly insulting.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

Agree with alot of what you said, but SF2 is worth 5e and DKC1 10e, even having 50e as a "haggling" price seems bizarre to me

Advertisement