Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Arcade & Retro Repairs & Mods, all new recipe, with no added MSG...

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,526 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Big shoutout to Bandit for the repairs to my Veccy, no more random blank screens!
    Hooray!

• Registered Users Posts: 34,370 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Big shoutout to Bandit for the repairs to my Veccy, no more random blank screens!
    Hooray!

Excellent! Fancy a swap? :D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,526 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

o1s1n wrote: »
    Excellent! Fancy a swap? :D

My Vectrex certainly has,
    It's swapped Vector written words left to right, but the gameplay remains the same.
    Seems caps are on the way out.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,717 ✭✭✭The Last Bandit

My Vectrex certainly has,
    It's swapped Vector written words left to right, but the gameplay remains the same.
    Seems caps are on the way out.

Yep needs a cap kit, the mirrored text is a symptom of the X axis out of adjustment :D

What's more unreliable then, Vectrex or pinball machines ? :D

Pinball machines

• Advertisement

Where can I get a metal enclosure on a budget, something suitable to turn into a NES controller.
    I'd love a NES/Fami arcade controller but just don't like the official ones at all.
    It'd be easier just to adapt one of the spare controllers I have into an arcade stick, get proper arcade parts.
    A bit like the stuff ALAN9000 makes.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,073 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

Where can I get a metal enclosure on a budget, something suitable to turn into a NES controller.
    I'd love a NES/Fami arcade controller but just don't like the official ones at all.
    It'd be easier just to adapt one of the spare controllers I have into an arcade stick, get proper arcade parts.
    A bit like the stuff ALAN9000 makes.

Decent looking build quality but it looks too small to be comfortable to use - not much room to rest your hands on and too small a base to be stable. In my eyes anyway.

Andrew76 wrote: »
    Decent looking build quality but it looks too small to be comfortable to use - not much room to rest your hands on and too small a base to be stable. In my eyes anyway.

Classic Game Room have reviewed his stuff and it seems pretty decent and good to use.
    But I see what you mean.
    I'll just have to use a bigger box!
    The search continues!

'Hammond Enclosures' are what you're looking for, they make very good aluminium boxes of all sizes.

Here's a small range from one seller on ebay, but loads more to choose from - not the cheapest though !!

I go idea is to mock in up in cardboard to get an idea of what size you're comfortable with :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,592 ✭✭✭BGOllie

Any one know where I can buy these small bulbs that light up a coin mech ?

• Advertisement

BGOllie wrote: »
    Any one know where I can buy these small bulbs that light up a coin mech ?

http://www.arcadeadventures.com/coin-doors-parts/

Would they be like the type of bulbs car dashboards use?
    If so you might take a look at Halfords site.

these are the ones. GE555 bulbs. I found led replacements on ebay.
    14370427_10154552613393276_2662061941313315114_n.jpg?oh=aa2336ce5817519ce98d2d24779d3f3f&oe=58677FF1

• Registered Users Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭eddhorse

these are the ones. GE555 bulbs. I found led replacements on ebay.
    14370427_10154552613393276_2662061941313315114_n.jpg?oh=aa2336ce5817519ce98d2d24779d3f3f&oe=58677FF1
    Got a link Ollie of the Banjo fame?

lads #555 are pinball bulbs,
    they should be 1/2 e a box of 10

lads #555 are pinball bulbs,
    they should be 1/2 e a box of 10

If you've a source for these at that price I'm interested .
    I did a search for GE555 and ebay came up :)

I'll send you some
    PM your address ;)

here they are anyways at 1.70 for ten + postage but they are for nothing

http://www.bestofpinball.de/catalog/product_info.php/products_id/1739

Edit again

they are just called 555 or #555

The GE must be the makers mark ,general electric

sooo. my arkanoid cab was working fine , been playing it most days but no more than like 20 mins at a time.
    played it for an hour today and it suddenly gave me this.
    14448893_10154554758138276_8911293676043179490_n.jpg?oh=c8a9036844b48f69115b2cfd04d30073&oe=583B4002

anyone any idea what it could be ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭geotrig

sooo. my arkanoid cab was working fine , been playing it most days but no more than like 20 mins at a time.
    played it for an hour today and it suddenly gave me this.
    14448893_10154554758138276_8911293676043179490_n.jpg?oh=c8a9036844b48f69115b2cfd04d30073&oe=583B4002

anyone any idea what it could be ?
    what are your voltages like ?if too high could have fried some components ! Is the connector good and securely fitted still ? If it's a failing chip it might go ok with freeze spray used .....but if not the basics it points moreso to something failing

Try and rule out the obvious problems first.

Let the board cool down and see the if it works again
    Carefully re-seat any socketed components.
    Check the voltages on the board itself and not the Jamma edge with a multimeter.
    After the board has been powered on for a while, check the temperature of each chip with your finger. Anything very hot or cold is a problem.

If its a solid fault then a component has decided to enough is enough and given up the ghost and will need further probing..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭geotrig

As bandit said push on the chips, could be some bad connection solder joints or a damaged bent board.best bet is to rule out all the basics and go from there

thanks guys, I'll check all socketed chips later this evening.

so no luck with re seating the socketed chips. I still get the error. next I'll check the voltages this weekend.
    On a side note I was sent arkanoid blueprints, it seems they're not easy to find so if anyone want them or has a hosting site for them, let me know.

There are many bootleg versions of that so the schematics may not be a perfect match either, but ya they'll be useful place to start.

Welcome to PCB collecting btw :)

Welcome to PCB collecting btw :)

already hate it... no I mean I love it... it's horrible. in a fun way :)

Ordered a working bootleg so I can at least play the cab while i attempt to fix the original

looking for a supergun now, power supply, harness ...
    dammit! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭Mitchomagic

some boots are jamma the original arkanoid was not,so make sure you get the right 1
    I have 2 working originals here if you are stuck.

So a look at the voltages straight off the AR II board shows the +5v outs are constantly shifting between +4.9v and 5.2v . When the board is plugged it this changes between 4.9 and 5v. Before I continue checking voltage down the boards, is this normal ? I would have expected the output to be constant .

Depends on the power supply. Some of them will vary a good bit until a load (i.e. jamma board) is on them should stabilise then.

mm yes, I would assume there is a difference between when it's load free and under load, but it shifts a lot in both cases so I wonder if the unstable voltage fried one of the IC. In which case I should start with fixing that AR II power board first then ?

• Advertisement

Oh its one of those psu. There linear supplies and should be stable alright, given its age the caps are probably dried out. Should be possible to hack it a modern ATX supply into it I'd say.

Advertisement