Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

So, what you playing at the mo? Retro Edition

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,908 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

I haven't played a video game since Wednesday! Egads!

(I did finally pick up El Shaddai though - 15 buckeroons in HMV, which was impossible to resist - which I am excited to finally get into once Skyward Sword's final dungeon is complete!)

That wasn't new, was it? I laid down 20e for a used copy in CEX on Friday, amongst many other purchases.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,031 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Yeah, 'twas new! Thought I was taking a risk holding off, but knew it was one of those games that would just keep going down in price.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,524 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I'm finding El Shaddai to be mind numbingly boring.
    The combat is way to simple and the so called amazo-visuals are just odd palette choices and poor collision detection.
    Not fun imho.
    Needed to have more Bayonetta DNA in there, but no...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,846 ✭✭✭Steve X2

I came across this abomination last night while setting a few things up on my hyperspin pc.

It's a game based on the band "Journey"(Glee stole their most famous song).
    The game was released in 1983 and its one of those weird MAME games you come across every so often. I ended up playing it way longer than I should have :o

• Registered Users Posts: 5,771 ✭✭✭Jack burton

They are some awesome versions of journey songs!

• Advertisement

They are some awesome versions of journey songs!

Yeah :)
    Apparently the last level is them on a stage and you have to use a bouncer to keep the groupies off the them. It plays a real recording of Separate Ways (Worlds Apart) during that level.

journey1j.png

journeyo.png

The 80's were just cool really.

Yeah I was just watching a video on youtube, and if the people get in they steal all the guitars and drums and run off haha

It actually has a cassette deck inside the cab hooked up to the pcb :eek:

journey_resto04.jpg

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,035 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

Might be a stupid question this but does Mame support save states? I've only ever used them once before with a Snes emu, never with Mame.

Trying to play Raiden every night now to improve the scores a bit. I used to tackle lvl 1 with the Red ship and breeze through it with a score of 124,000 or so I think, the superplay score with the Blue ship is approx 130,000, big difference over one level. You seem to get more enemies playing as Red so it's a bit harder to play but easier to get a half decent score. But Blue is easier to play because of the faster horizontal speed and less enemies (on the first lvl anyway) but harder to get a better score. Trying to get close to that 130,000 with Blue is really hard, you play the level completely differently - now it's about killing certain enemies slowly with your normal spread weapon rather than letting the missiles do the work.

On average I can get to the lvl 1 bosses about 500 off the superplay score which will do me but dragging out the fight to max the score is so much more difficult than killing them quickly.

Anyway that's the reason for the save state question - I want to practice the boss fight on the PC via Mame so as not to have to sit through the entire level each time.

yep, the 80's were awesome!

• Advertisement

Andrew76 wrote: »
    Might be a stupid question this but does Mame support save states? I've only ever used them once before with a Snes emu, never with Mame.

Trying to play Raiden every night now to improve the scores a bit. I used to tackle lvl 1 with the Red ship and breeze through it with a score of 124,000 or so I think, the superplay score with the Blue ship is approx 130,000, big difference over one level. You seem to get more enemies playing as Red so it's a bit harder to play but easier to get a half decent score. But Blue is easier to play because of the faster horizontal speed and less enemies (on the first lvl anyway) but harder to get a better score. Trying to get close to that 130,000 with Blue is really hard, you play the level completely differently - now it's about killing certain enemies slowly with your normal spread weapon rather than letting the missiles do the work.

On average I can get to the lvl 1 bosses about 500 off the superplay score which will do me but dragging out the fight to max the score is so much more difficult than killing them quickly.

Anyway that's the reason for the save state question - I want to practice the boss fight on the PC via Mame so as not to have to sit through the entire level each time.

Shift F7 and pick a number and then F7 and pick the same number to load the state.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,035 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

Steve SI wrote: »
    Shift F7 and pick a number and then F7 and pick the same number to load the state.

Ooh excellent stuff thanks!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,702 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Time for another stab at castlevania.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭DinoRex

Just started on Catherine... There doesn't seem to be any way to turn the pointless subtitles off, that's really annoying. I'm not fecking deaf!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,702 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

**** Frankenstein in this poxy game!

****ing hell this game is tough, probably the toughest I've ever played. I'm giving up on stage 6 which I think is the final stage. It's just insane and it's way too late. Frankenstein was a horrible boss but they really trumped him with the next boss, the Grim Reaper. My god I spent nearly an hour and a half trying to beat him, I failed so much I know the stage before him inside and out. And that's nothing compared to the final stage. I didn't even make it to the final boss.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,031 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Yay finished Skyward Sword! Damn fine game but ended up a timesink at just under Fiddy hours. Unfortunate the last few bosses rely on frantic, imprecise Wiimote action but other than that a truly great game.

Now: to El Shaddai and Blissful Death (the latter of which is hardcore even by DoDonPachi standards!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,328 ✭✭✭Pyongyang

1cc'd Darius Burst iOS last night. Just went for the 1cc on the the top route. Now I'm learning more about how the other ships work, boss milking and score mechanics. The Second Prologue mode is even weirder for scoring.

Not an easy game at all, even on easy mode.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭ghostchant

1cc'd it myself the other day, though not sure if it counts as I went a route that led me to the piranha boss, which was pretty easy. My first attempt lead me to the sperm-whale boss, who proceeded to smash me to pieces.

DinoRex wrote: »
    Just started on Catherine... There doesn't seem to be any way to turn the pointless subtitles off, that's really annoying. I'm not fecking deaf!

I always leave subtitles on for some reasons but you can turn them off in the start menu I think. I remember seeing an option for it

• Advertisement

I always leave subtitles on for some reasons but you can turn them off in the start menu I think. I remember seeing an option for it

Only seem to have an option for vibration and camera angles. Very odd, wouldn't have liked to have had the option for Japanese too, then the subtitles would be useful.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,283 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

4 and a half hours into RE Revelations. Great mix of gameplay in it. Can't put the thing down. It really does show off what a little power house the 3DS is. It's mad seeing shadow and lighting effects on a handheld like that.

I'm also (shock shock horror) beginning to like the circle pad pro attachment. It looks like absolute ass, but I found the 3DS was a bit small for my hands - this is a far more comfortable.

It really shows up how lazy other developers have been with the 3DS, doesn't it?

Other than RE, I haven't seen much on the console that couldn't really have been done on the DS.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,328 ✭✭✭Pyongyang

At the moment I'm playing hitting F5 on the DoDonpachi Maximum teaser site... :D

http://www.cave.co.jp/gameonline/maximum/en/

• Registered Users Posts: 8,930 ✭✭✭Doge

Pyongyang wrote: »
    At the moment I'm playing hitting F5 on the DoDonpachi Maximum teaser site... :D

http://www.cave.co.jp/gameonline/maximum/en/

Even when you're not playing shmup's you're still firing with buttons!

"Maximum Bullet Simulator" WTF!

:pac:

Castlevania, we meet again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 phurryphace

I'm playing Train Sim

Just mopped up the last star medals in Mario 3D Land. Well, all except the random mystery box ones! Really is a stressful, surprisingly difficult game towards the end.

I love that they have a special soundbite for
    when Luigi saves Peach
    :P

• Registered Users Posts: 3,908 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

Finished Rayman Origins last night, reaches such heights of quality it can only be expressed through interpretive dance.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,525 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

Just got the space shuttle in tetris!

Where does NASA put the money of all you need to successfully launch a shuttle is to get the 25 lines on level 9 height 5.
    Probably trying to get a complete boxed Snes collection.

Advertisement