Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why would an Irish person wear a poppy ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,897 ✭✭✭MagicSean

Nodin wrote: »
    The evils of a colonial army, across the globe, post 1945, acting under direction or protection of the British government. Nothing so colluqial as the black and tans, or as dated.

Ah ok, then replace "black and tans" with "random post 1945 british army atrocity". Does that make you happier?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

MagicSean wrote: »
    Ah ok, then replace "black and tans" with "random post 1945 british army atrocity". Does that make you happier?

Random? The camps in Kenya were policy, the torture policy, the racism policy. This was an Empire, and those aren't maintained with hugs and kisses.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

I think another point that's worth bringing up is that Irish presidents have come to Remembrance Day services at St Patrick's Cathedral. Are they traitors too?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭billybudd

I mean the whole thousands of Irish men who died in the war is very complex, some joined because they believed it was the right thing to do and many more did because it was the only way to feed their family as a direct result of British rule here.

We should show respect for Dead Irish men who fell on the battlefield but not under the umbrella of a poppy movement as its a truly british thing regardless of what other countries celebrate it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,255 ✭✭✭getz

Random? The camps in Kenya were policy, the torture policy, the racism policy. This was an Empire, and those aren't maintained with hugs and kisses.
    you have to get away from your obsession with kenya,in kenya,the kenya armed forces old comrades association[KAFOCA]was established in kenya immediately in 1945 to cater for the welfare of th ex-servicmen of the first and second world wars the{KAFOCA] and the KENYAN GOVERMENT recognize rememberance day you will find plenty of poppies being worn,so much for your anti brit rant, they dont care why do you ?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

billybudd wrote: »
    We should show respect for Dead Irish men who fell on the battlefield but not under the umbrella of a poppy movement as its a truly british thing regardless of what other countries celebrate it.

You say that as if thousands of Irish people (and their opinions) are worthless. My local Church is bedecked with poppies in preparation for the 11th, and most parishioners (Irish people) will be wearing their poppies to commemorate all the local lads who lay dead on/in the Poppy fields of flanders fields . . .

LordSutch wrote: »
    You say that as if the thousands of Irish people who are wearing poppies just don't exist!

I am saying it because they exist.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,775 ✭✭✭Death and Taxes

All true, but Nodin, you have to accept that to many people the poppy, rightly or wrongly, is associated with the dead of WW1 and nothing else.
    Almost all emblems and flags have hidden horrors behind them, ours included.

I am saying it because they exist.

Well we do exist and we do wear poppies (in Ireland) as a mark of respect.

getz wrote: »
    you have to get away from your obsession with kenya,in kenya,the kenya armed forces old comrades association[KAFOCA]was established in kenya immediately in 1945 to cater for the welfare of th ex-servicmen of the first and second world wars the{KAFOCA] and the KENYAN GOVERMENT recognize rememberance day you will find plenty of poppies being worn,so much for your anti brit rant, they dont care why do you ?

Not by people directly affected by those camps.

• Advertisement

Well we do exist and we do wear poppies (in Ireland) as a mark of respect.

You need a poppy to show respect? i dont wear a lilly but i still show my respect for people who died during the easter rising.

In other words i am not confrontational in my respects.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,039 ✭✭✭MJ23

Sure isn't it just like seeing those fellas that go around in Man Utd and Liverpool jerseys.

MJ23 wrote: »
    Sure isn't it just like seeing those fellas that go around in Man Utd and Liverpool jerseys.

No, as far as i know neither of those teams were colonial powers. well not in the war crime sense.

philologos wrote: »
    I think another point that's worth bringing up is that Irish presidents have come to Remembrance Day services at St Patrick's Cathedral. Are they traitors too?

They are in involved with politics, they would show up to an opeing of an envelope if it got them votes.

Anyway for me remembering dead Irish people who died fighting in www1/2 is not being a traitor, its the assosiation with the British establishment that is.

You need a poppy to show respect? i dont wear a lilly but i still show my respect for people who died during the easter rising.

In other words i am not confrontational in my respects.

Of course you don't need a poppy to show respect, but please let those Irish people who do, do so without ridicule. You keep banging on about it being a British thing only, and what I am saying is that the poppy is not exclusive to Britain - Its a personal choice here in Ireland too, always has been since the poppy was introduced as a symbol of remembrance.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 702 ✭✭✭goodie2shoes

i would not wear a poppy because it represents british imperialism which was an evil enterprise imho.

those irish men that died during ww1 (and i like most irish people have relatives that served &/or died), were duped into fighting a stupid war between 2 imperialist powers. those that were not duped did it for money, which was in extremely short supply.

as far as commerating the war dead, i for one do not wish to say prayers for the auxies or the black n' tans who murdered, raped and pillaged my country, or for brit paras who quite recently murdered innocent people in derry & ballymurphy just a few miles up the road.

i would remember/commerate those of ww2, which i believe was a just war, fought against the forces of darkness. some wars are worth fighting, some are not.

Of course you don't need a poppy to show respect, but please let those Irish people who do, do so without ridicule. You keep banging on about it being a British thing only, and what I am saying is that the poppy is not exclusive to Britain - Its a personal choice here in Ireland too, always has been since the poppy was introduced as a symbol of remembrance.

It is exclusive to the british army regardless if someone from Paris wears it, he is showing solidarity or respect to former BA soliders. My point is that alot of Irish men killed in the war did not want to fight on behalf of Britain.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

It is exclusive to the british army regardless if someone from Paris wears it, he is showing solidarity or respect to former BA soliders. My point is that alot of Irish men killed in the war did not want to fight on behalf of Britain.
    Poppy wearing actually began in the USA following the First World War in 1918.

Yes i am aware of that, your point?

And actually it is not that common in the states now, in Canada it is still a very popular tradition, but being a common wealth it is understandable.

the american legion still has the poppy as their symbol of remembrance

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

Curious as you constantly harp on about Remembrance, sacrifice of millions etc. Do you also have the same affection for the victims of The Famine of your own country?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,299 ✭✭✭✭later12

I would have absolutely no problem in wearing a poppy, and did so in the UK. In Ireland it's more controversial and perhaps best avoided.

As long as it isn't accompanied by some jingost, nationalist tripe like "support the troops", as I frequently see when I venture onto the ole facebook, then I have no problem.

Like lots of Irish people I had some relatives who died in some silly, some not-so-silly foreign wars and I don't believe there is any harm in that more poignant and human expression of never forgetting. Irishness or Britishness is completely irrelevant to remembering these dead.

gurramok wrote: »
    Curious as you constantly harp on about Remembrance, sacrifice of millions etc. Do you also have the same affection for the victims of The Famine of your own country?
    yes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 222 ✭✭The Idyl Race

later12 wrote: »
    I would have absolutely no problem in wearing a poppy, and did so in the UK. In Ireland it's more controversial and perhaps best avoided.

As long as it isn't accompanied by some jingost, nationalist tripe like "support the troops", as I frequently see when I venture onto the ole facebook, then I have no problem.

Like lots of Irish people I had some relatives who died in some silly, some not-so-silly foreign wars and I don't believe there is any harm in that more poignant and human expression of never forgetting. Irishness or Britishness is completely irrelevant to remembering these dead.

+1 to that. Wearing the poppy seems to be a provocative act to a minority, even if the RBL moneys raised in the Republic go only to ROI based ex-servicemen and their families. I doubt however that fact would be in the minds of those whose sense of Irish nationality appears to be so brittle that they cannot understand those of us who remember. For those who understand, no explanation is necessary. For those who do not, none is possible.

+1 to that. Wearing the poppy seems to be a provocative act to a minority, even if the RBL moneys raised in the Republic go only to ROI based ex-servicemen and their families. I doubt however that fact would be in the minds of those whose sense of Irish nationality appears to be so brittle that they cannot understand those of us who remember. For those who understand, no explanation is necessary. For those who do not, none is possible.

Nonsense.
    i fully understand the reasoning/logic why some irish people decide to wear the poppy. i personally do not agree with this reasoning, which i believe to be flawed and i would also object to much (but not all) that the poppy represents.

you should think things through before you make such silly sweeping statements. just because you choose to wear a paper flower does not give you a monopoly on understanding.

getz wrote: »
    yes

Any commemorations planned? Perhaps fundraising using a symbol?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

well, if you can find me anyone who is still affected by the famine I would gladly help them out.

well, if you can find me anyone who is still affected by the famine I would gladly help them out.

Survivors? Or relatives?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,364 ✭✭✭golden lane

why is it that every discussion about ireland ends up by runnung every other country down......

grow up and take responsibilty for your own actions.....whatever they are......

the world does not care one iota what ireland thinks or does........

• Advertisement

there should be a national day of commemoration for the famine victims.
    it's a disgrace that there is not.

Advertisement