Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

12-02-2020, 06:16   #76
I'm in China, AMA
Verified representative

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardinn View Post
Its been a while since questions were asked - how is the situation over there now?
Things are still pretty much at a standstill. If anything, it's gotten more restrictive. Most communities have given residents a pass that allows them to leave the premises every once a day or once every 2 days...2 days in my case. I'm allowed to walk around the complex and collect deliveries at the gate, but that's about it. Seems to be the same for a lot of cities, though the decision to implement it (or not) lies with the local government, rather than it being a nationwide rule. Anyone returning to a city from another province or abroad is subject to a 14 day quarantine at home. My girlfriend returned from a holiday in Vietnam last weekend, she is not allowed out for 14 days.

I've read some western news articles about Chinese people starting to go back to work, that is not the case for 90% of people. Those who can work from home are doing so, otherwise everything is still closed. There are many foreigners here who visited home or went to in places like Thailand, Vietnam, Cambodia etc. for the holiday who are still either stuck there or have been told to extend their stay. There are quite a few teachers who work for our company in that situation, but we've started doing online classes so they can still work while they are away.

So yeah, 3 weeks now of being stuck at home

Quote:
Originally Posted by volchitsa View Post
So is your name scrawled on it in Chinese characters when you pick it up, and is that difficult for the locals, or do Europeans in China all pick a Chinese name to use the way the Chinese pick an English name to use in English?

(Yeah, I know that's a totally frivolous and unimportant question these days, but I guess I'm really that superficial!)
No need for a Chinese name. Food deliveries (including coffee), online shopping etc. will just have your English name printed on it, as well as your phone number. For Luckin coffee, there's a receipt next to your coffee when you pick it up. That will have your name and order number on it. They generally don't ask you your name in Starbucks here like they do in other places, unless the person serving you speaks English.
(3) thanks from:
Advertisement
12-02-2020, 06:26   #77
I'm in China, AMA
Verified representative

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCX BXC View Post
How do you type Chinese characters on your phone? Is it difficult/time consuming to type in Chinese?
I think Yurt! pretty much answered that spot on. It's very easy to type in Chinese as long as you can recognise characters, as each 'word' (when typed in Pinyin that is) will have multiple different meanings depending on the tones used. Though as mentioned it's predictive which makes that easier. I have a Chinese phone so it's very easy for me to switch between English and Pinyin keyboard. Overall, probably sounds more difficult than it actually is.
12-02-2020, 10:37   #78
Hotblack Desiato

Can you see characters largely going by the wayside eventually, and people mostly using pinyin?
12-02-2020, 22:41   #79
Gloomtastic!
Do Not Be Afraid.....

Do Chinese people keep pets or do they just eat them?
13-02-2020, 06:17   #80
Yurt!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hotblack Desiato View Post
Can you see characters largely going by the wayside eventually, and people mostly using pinyin?
Unlikely, dispensing with characters would mean the written word would lose a lot of subtlety and playfulness with double entendres. The Chinese poetry and literary tradition would also be the less for it. As annoying as Chinese characters are for the learner, they lend the language a lot of depth. Chinese people are rightly proud of the continuity of their language from antiquity to now (even if it mostly persists with bastardised simplified characters, which many purists dislike).

I don't know how the Vietnamese language evolved when they dispensed with Chinese characters, but I suspect it wasn't for the better. Korean, like Japanese, used to be heavily infused with Chinese characters. Now that aspect of the language is mostly lost, even if a lot of Korean vocabulary is Chinese derived, there was a spillover effect and the spoken language lost a lot of its classical flavour.
(2) thanks from:
Advertisement
14-02-2020, 00:24   #81
sheepondrugs

hi,

Is every state in China on lock down? i.e are the far western states quarantining people?
Is the Airport open?
What if you have a family emergency or something like that and have to leave China?
are there guards outside your building?
how are you passing the time?

Are the Chinese government/authorities giving regular updates about the situation?

sorry about all the questions. Great AMA, take care of yourself.

(My sister is teaching in Sth Korea , she had just returned there from a trip abroad and was put on 14 day quarantine- but not nearly as restrictive as in China by the sound of it).
14-02-2020, 04:23   #82
I'm in China, AMA
Verified representative

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gloomtastic! View Post
Do Chinese people keep pets or do they just eat them?
Quite a lot of Chinese people have pets. Yes, Chinese are known to eat a larger variety of animals than most western countries, but to be fair so do Vietnam, korea etc. It's a misconception that a lot of Chinese people eat dog, just not true. Yes, some do and there are certain parts of China that are more 'renowned' for it, but the vast majority do not. The only restaurant I've been to that had dog on the menu was a buffet restaurant in a small with in Hunan province. One of the dishes on display was dog and none of us realized until we saw one the chefs walking into the kitchen with a dead dog in the bag. That wasn't pleasant, as I'm pretty sure I ate some of it. Horse meat noodles at a food stall in Guizhou province was another time I ate something without knowing what it was.

Frog is quite common, as is turtle to a certain extent, but that depends on where you go. Donkey meat is also popular in certain parts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheepondrugs View Post
hi,

Is every state in China on lock down? i.e are the far western states quarantining people?
Is the Airport open?
What if you have a family emergency or something like that and have to leave China?
are there guards outside your building?
how are you passing the time?

Are the Chinese government/authorities giving regular updates about the situation?

sorry about all the questions. Great AMA, take care of yourself.

(My sister is teaching in Sth Korea , she had just returned there from a trip abroad and was put on 14 day quarantine- but not nearly as restrictive as in China by the sound of it).
I'm not sure about all provinces in China, as every province has administered it's own version of 'lockdown'. Hubei, of course, is completely shut down. Shaanxi, where I am, is semi locked down in the sense that I can go out, but only every 2 days. There's also nothing open apart from convenience stores and supermarkets. And I've heard from people I know in other parts of China that it's similar for them. Every contact I have on WeChat who has posted something (100's) is stuck indoors.

The airport is open, albeit with more cancellations There are still some taxis around and private drivers who are taking people to and from the airport.

If I had leave, for whatever reason, that wouldn't be a problem. I guess the problem would be finding a suitable flight.

Yes, there are about 8 or 9 guards outside our building. They are always there, but usually spread over the 3 different entrances. No only one entrance is open, so they're all concentrated there. You cannot leave or enter without showing a 'pass' that has your passport number and building/apartment number on it. They write the last date you left the premises on the pass, so if that is less than 2 days ago they won't let you out. It's fine, there are 3 convenience stores inside the complex and I can still order groceries for delivery if I need something in particular. Delivery guy just hands them over the gate.

I am working from home, so that takes up about 7 hours of the day and forces me to wake up early as I have to clock in via my phone. Though today I clocked in and then went back to sleep for an hour Other than work, just walking my dog, reading, binge watching tv shows/movies and lots of cooking.

There's a number of large WeChat groups with hundreds of foreigners in them, so any important updates are usually gotten pretty quickly. I guess the only updates that really matter at the moment, for me anyway, is when people can/should physically go back to work and when this 'only allowed out every 2 days' bo**ox is lifted. I guess the 2 will have to coincide though.

Yeah it's the same for anyone returning to China from abroad, 14 day quarantine. My girlfriend just returned, so she is literally stuck in the apartment for 14 days. If she is quarantined, makes no sense that I'm not, but I'm not going to complain.

Hope your sister is not too bored
Thanks from:
14-02-2020, 09:54   #83
pc7

Great your girlfriend is back and you the company. Are the embassy in touch with you at all?
16-02-2020, 12:15   #84
AMKC

Hello,

Did you have the opportunity to come home at all? Were you tempted?

How worried were you when you first heard of the Coronavirius or as its called now Covid-19?
Advertisement
18-02-2020, 15:31   #85
I'm in China, AMA
Verified representative

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMKC View Post
Hello,

Did you have the opportunity to come home at all? Were you tempted?

How worried were you when you first heard of the Coronavirius or as its called now Covid-19?
Sorry for the delay.

No I've been here the whole time, never considered leaving, mainly because I have a dog. To be honest I never felt in any danger, as long you take the proper precautions there's not a whole lot to worry about. The fact that everyone is under a semi-quarantine gives you extra comfort.

Nobody was worried at first, it was just a localized outbreak in one city. It wasn't until maybe the 24th that people started to take notice and take precautions. In my 4 years here I've never once worn a mask until the 24th of January.

The good thing is that things are starting to look up. Outside of Hubei, the number of new cases is significantly down, and even down overall. The bad news is there are people losing their jobs left, right and center. Quarantine has it's upsides and it's downsides.
(2) thanks from:
18-02-2020, 19:11   #86
Gloomtastic!
Do Not Be Afraid.....

It must be having a considerable affect on the Chinese economy by now. Read today that we’ll start to notice it next week when the ships don’t arrive here carrying what they normally do.

You say people are losing their jobs. Can you expand on that a bit with more info please.
Thanks from:
20-02-2020, 11:19   #87
up for anything

Hi OP, if you wouldn't mind could you do a quick update on your situation and the general situation regarding work and new cases? Are you getting the same information from the Chinese authorities as we are here and does the information they're giving out gel with what we are told? Please and thank you. I hope you, your girlfriend and the dog are doing well.
20-02-2020, 20:43   #88
iamstop

Interesting AMA. Didn't realize how much they had shut down and restricted.

Just read this article about how the virus has made China cut their CO2 emmisions by up to a quarter! Crazy.

https://www.carbonbrief.org/analysis...s-by-a-quarter

So the question is, do you notice any improvement to air quality? Is it bad normally?
22-02-2020, 03:48   #89
I'm in China, AMA
Verified representative

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gloomtastic! View Post
It must be having a considerable affect on the Chinese economy by now. Read today that we’ll start to notice it next week when the ships don’t arrive here carrying what they normally do.

You say people are losing their jobs. Can you expand on that a bit with more info please.
Many companies have let people go, including the company I work for. It really depends on the industry, but the reality is if a company is not making money then it can't continue to pay all its staff every month. Some have been put on unpaid leave, some have been let go.

Companies are cutting costs wherever possible. Small example, but phone allowance in our company has been cut. Granted, it's only 200 RMB a month. Also, no bonuses are being paid and no new staff can be hired.

Quote:
Originally Posted by up for anything View Post
Hi OP, if you wouldn't mind could you do a quick update on your situation and the general situation regarding work and new cases? Are you getting the same information from the Chinese authorities as we are here and does the information they're giving out gel with what we are told? Please and thank you. I hope you, your girlfriend and the dog are doing well.
No real change to be honest, though things locally seem to be getting slightly better. One of the districts in the city I'm in have had the 'allowed out once every two days' rule lifted, so I expect that to be city wide over the next few days. There are plenty of WeChat groups with updates, so any local news from the government is shared pretty quickly. New infections are going down outside of Hubei, and a handful of cities have lifted all restrictions.

Word is that they expect everything to be back to normal by mid March, end of March at the lates. Only time will tell if that actually happens. I'm still working so that keeps me busy. More than anything, I can't wait to go outside whenever I want Once every 2 days is a royal pain in the a**.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamstop View Post
Interesting AMA. Didn't realize how much they had shut down and restricted.

Just read this article about how the virus has made China cut their CO2 emmisions by up to a quarter! Crazy.

https://www.carbonbrief.org/analysis...s-by-a-quarter

So the question is, do you notice any improvement to air quality? Is it bad normally?
Haven't really noticed to be honest, probably as I haven't been outside as much. Air quality in the northern half of China is generally 'bad' during winter. Usually comes in spells, few bad days, few good days, not constant by any means. Why is winter worse? North of a certain geographical point in China (people say the Yellow river), heating is mandatory and government controlled. When I say mandatory I mean it must be installed, you still have to pay to have it turned on. Heating megacities with millions of people takes a lot of energy, and a good portion of that is still done with coal. There is a noticeable change in air quality from November to March/April. So while emissions may be down, heating is still on.
(2) thanks from:
24-02-2020, 10:13   #90
JoeFritzl

Can you actually eat a dog in China?

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size