Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Strange phobias

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 Beibhinn20

I am absolutely terrified of shellfish-crabs and lobsters give me nightmares...

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭ButterflyGirl23

- Wasps freak me out the most, if one comes near me I run around screaming until he's gone.
    - I can't stand spiders, especially the big ones. I can't even really look at pictures of them.
    - The hull of a large ship in the water coming towards you, even when it's on TV it makes me feel very uneasy, I have no idea why!
    - I have a fear of drowning.
    - I don't like sharks either, I always keep an eye out for them when i'm in the water.
    - I don't like big holes in the ground or those weird glass things on the ground in town that leads down to cellars, I always think that I will fall into them!
    - My worst fear is of needles, I faint every time I get an injection and fear ever been put on a drip!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 Cloudinsane

I actually have a really horrible fear...I don't think I'll post cos, well, it's a really odd phobia.

Over the years I've managed to be OK in certain situations, but if it's in anyway official I'm gone beyond reason - I'll zone out, my heart will literally pound out of my chest, I'll get really warm and just completely lose my train of thought/focus.

It's an unavoidable phobia, so it's a ****ing nightmare on a daily basis!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,504 ✭✭✭SpitfireIV

Sheet glass, mirrors etc, I HATE handling them, I'm afraid they'll suddenly break, or slip and rip my hands to shreds!! :(:(

Pressurised containers, you know like the yellow gas cylnders or compressed air tanks, hate them!!! I have this terrible feeling that they'll suddenly explode or something!! :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,122 ✭✭✭LadyJ

I actually have a really horrible fear...I don't think I'll post cos, well, it's a really odd phobia.

Over the years I've managed to be OK in certain situations, but if it's in anyway official I'm gone beyond reason - I'll zone out, my heart will literally pound out of my chest, I'll get really warm and just completely lose my train of thought/focus.

It'll probably be a far more common phobia than you realise. That's the funny thing about this forum. You're never alone.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 33 Cloudinsane

Well, no-one has mentioned it yet (read every post); but I do appreciate that people are in the same boat.

Well, no-one has mentioned it yet (read every post); but I do appreciate that people are in the same boat.

You might find if you post a thread about it that people will come out of the woodwork!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 MDob

I have a very odd phobia - i am afraid of fruit and vegetables. I cant have anything to do with fruit, but I eat potato and spinach no problem. But everything else makes me freak out. i can drink orange juice, but cant have an orange, I love the sauses eg pasta sauses but cant eat a tomoto. Have had this since I was 2 years old! I am slowly growing more tolerant of things, as in they can now be on my plate and I can just move them out of the way, but no way can I eat or touch them still.... I am a pain too cook for!

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭MissIT

Custard really freaks me out :(.. odd i know

• Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭spectre

Can't stand mashed potatoes. Even the thoughts are enough to make me gag. I think the issue arose through childhood trauma from getting sick as I was eating them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,758 ✭✭✭✭JPA

My girlfriend has something like the fear of things underwater people have mentioned. But it's kinda just stuff sinking that freaks her out.

Like if a car drove into a river in a film and started sinking she would have to look away or when Titanic sank.

Anyone else out there?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,171 ✭✭✭af_thefragile

^Just don't like sea weed and crabs. Was once bitten by a crab in the sea so thats the reason, though it was just a tiny pinch. Sea weed is all slimy and kinda gross.
    I feel scared of open waters though. I'm not a very good swimmer and i can barely float either so i feel i might get drowned into the abyss if ever find myself in open waters. Also same goes for in large deep swimming pools.

That is not physically possible though...

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭nowimtalking

My best friend is terrified of statues especially if they are ones of people sitting down, she cant stand sitting beside them!

Those sitting down ones are kinda creepy in the distance because you never know if it's a real person or not. The one by the Royal Canal always creeps me out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 AlRocks

Well it's not quite a phobia but I'd like to know does anyone else get anything like this.

Sometimes when I'm holding a glass of water, the glass will feel really irritating on my fingers, especially stained glass. Also, sometimes paper feels weird to touch, it's kinda like the nails on a black board thing. I have to shake my hands after touching these things. It's not all the time it happens though, it's only sometimes. I'm not sure what the deal is with it. It happens with other stuff like, cardboard and certain plastics and metals. Anyone ever get this weird feeling.

Oh and sleep paralysis disorder is a feckin nightmare so it is :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,063 ✭✭✭Miaireland

I am scared of lightbulbs. Particularly turning them on and changing them.

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭pixiestix

i recently found out that i am petrified of the deep fat fryer, it was the 1st time i ever used one on wednesday and i was nearly reduced to tears cos it scared me so much.
    could turn out to be a good thing, might help me lose weight. but is it normal to be afraid of that kinda thing?

"Normal" is a terrible word. People are afraid of all sorts of random things. It is "normal" to be afraid of things full stop. Just because you've never heard of someone having the same fear, it doesn't mean that there aren't others out there who do.

Different people fear different things for different reasons but generally it's to do with how our brain processes information and forms associations between fear and objects or animals or [insert phobia here]. Don't worry about seeming strange. Seriously, I have heard more surprising admissions of fear!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,063 ✭✭✭Miaireland

pixiestix wrote: »
    i recently found out that i am petrified of the deep fat fryer, it was the 1st time i ever used one on wednesday and i was nearly reduced to tears cos it scared me so much.
    could turn out to be a good thing, might help me lose weight. but is it normal to be afraid of that kinda thing?

I actually will not have a deep fat fryer in the house and will not use anyone elses. Hate the things.

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭miss.lost

I have a fear of collarbones? Is that strange?! Especially my own or anything touching it and also anybody elses! Think its the thought of it breaking maybe?

Oh and i forgot earlier, Hate tomato ketchup, i can smell it within a 100 foot radius and it always makes me gag

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 795 ✭✭✭Pocono Joe

Fear of President Obama’s agenda here in the US. :eek:

Actually... a fear of touching pens that have fine groves... The feeling in my fingertips goes right through me. I refuse to handle them when offered to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭Caked Karen

dont know if its strange but Frogs...hands down am petrified of them

if i see one i freeze up cold sweats and heart is racing with me nearly fainting...i dont think ill ever get past it...im screwed when i go travelling :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 ryan7

I have a friend who is terrified of clowns or anything clown related.

I have a phobia of commitment, marriage etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,367 ✭✭✭✭watna

dont know if its strange but Frogs...hands down am petrified of them

if i see one i freeze up cold sweats and heart is racing with me nearly fainting...i dont think ill ever get past it...im screwed when i go travelling :(

Why are you screwed when you go travelling? I have never seen a frog on any of my travels - just lots of lizards!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,514 ✭✭✭Sleipnir

snorlax wrote: »
    One of my friends is terrified of balloons!

That's quite a common one. While I don't have a fear of balloons themselves, I can't stand to watch someone blowing one up. Makes me very uncomfortable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,048 ✭✭✭✭Snowie

the foam in that they use in dryed flower's and the foam in couchs it makes my skin crawl/..... even thinking of the dried flower foam is horrible the noise it makes... ewwwwwwwwww

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭mumhaabu

I have a fear of Horses, this is my first time ever admitting it anywhere. I am simply petrified of them as they are so large and uncontrollable in my eyes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 ger47

hi
    has anyone on here got a big fear of vomiting, i have ot for 40 years now so hard to deal with, im looking for anyone who has this phobia maybe we can e mail ,
    thanks geraldine:mad:

ger47 wrote: »
    hi
    has anyone on here got a big fear of vomiting, i have ot for 40 years now so hard to deal with, im looking for anyone who has this phobia maybe we can e mail ,
    thanks geraldine:mad:

This thread may be of some help to you.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=56844010&highlight=vomitting#post56844010

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭Innervision

I'm one of the buttons people :o Used to be much worse when i was a kid, i don't really mind buttoning a shirt or something now but if the button falls off i can't touch it. My little bro is the exact same as me, but he was worse as a kid, he had to wear t-shirts to school!

Advertisement