Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The Outer Worlds - Obsidian RPG

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,283 ✭✭✭fixXxer

hitemfrank wrote: »
    Time is more limited, so an 80 hour walking package delivery game is the answer? ;)

Difference is TOW is fun but Death Stranding is GotY.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,219 ✭✭✭✭Penn

hitemfrank wrote: »
    Time is more limited, so an 80 hour walking package delivery game is the answer? ;)

Ha, fair point. It's more that it feels like a game I can drop in and out of and just do a bunch of wandering/delivering when I get a chance as opposed to trying to picking up loads of side missions, characters, upgrading companions, evaluating perks etc. Plus since I started TOW, I never felt that pull of "I really want to play it today", whereas I'm already getting a bit of that with Death Stranding.

I enjoyed TOW well enough as I played it, definitely seems like a good game. But also kinda feel like I can't be arsed playing it if I do have so little time to actually play something.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭quokula

I'm in a similar situation in that I really want to start Death Stranding and Outer Worlds has been fairly disappointing. But if I leave it I'll never go back so do want to finish it. It's not a terrible game, it's just not as good as I hoped. The setting is uninteresting and the writing isn't brilliant. Without getting too spoilery, there was one big decision moment I had last night where I had to pick a side in a dispute (not for the first time) and condemn one or the other - in previous cases I'd passed stat checks and criteria that let me give everyone a happy ending, but this time it wasn't an option. Somebody was going to die. The thing was, I didn't care about the choice, because they weren't particularly fleshed out characters, and once it was done I moved on to the next mission like nothing had happened, beyond occasional bits of dialog in passing that referenced it.

I can think of moments in Mass Effect and KOTOR (and, while a completely different type of game, Life Is Strange) where I agonised over those kinds of decisions and really cared about them. And that's what I expected from Obsidian. This is much more like a Bethesda game with the trademark empty world devoid of life, with lots of stat checks and different approaches to things, but ultimately I don't care whether I solved a thing with my engineering prowess or my skills of persuasion as the outcome doesn't really matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,777 ✭✭✭Cordell

If it's that thing that you pick from the other bigger thing you can actually not give it to either of them (leave the quest open), or you can mediate them providing you did their side quests. I had to leave it open as either choice seemed wrong (I missed the side quest requited to be able to mediate).

Cordell wrote: »
    If it's that thing that you pick from the other bigger thing you can actually not give it to either of them (leave the quest open), or you can mediate them providing you did their side quests. I had to leave it open as either choice seemed wrong (I missed the side quest requited to be able to mediate).

It is that mission yeah, and I didn't do one of the optional parts of one of their sidequests (which in itself I think might have been a bug as I was supposed to rescue some people while fetching a thing, but I looked everywhere and couldn't find them and it's the only time in the entire game so far that an objective didn't get a marker on the hud), which stopped me mediating.

I guess I could have just left the quest open perpetually but that would be a bit of a cop out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,777 ✭✭✭Cordell

I got so far as being given the quest to mediate only to find out that the NPC doesn't trust me, I don't know what I did wrong but that's life :)
    Let them sort their own problems without me helping any of them seemed like a perfectly good choice then, so this is what I did.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,991 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

quokula wrote: »
    It is that mission yeah, and I didn't do one of the optional parts of one of their sidequests (which in itself I think might have been a bug as I was supposed to rescue some people while fetching a thing, but I looked everywhere and couldn't find them and it's the only time in the entire game so far that an objective didn't get a marker on the hud), which stopped me mediating.

I guess I could have just left the quest open perpetually but that would be a bit of a cop out.

those people you were supposed to rescue were standing outside the front door of the facility you were going to enter - you might have entered from the side door, thereby missing them. (if its the printing press facility that you're on about).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,187 ✭✭✭Fian

I rescues them after I had finished the side-quest - though before i had handed in I suppose, I bumped into them after i had cleared out teh printing press and was getting ready to go and hand in.

Tried to get back into this game but it's making it so difficult
    I chose not to go with Zora and feed amber springs which led me to war with the Iconoclasts. Great I thought, a bit of FPS fun to add to game. I have wiped every living sole on Monarch and....nothing. The "war music" is still playing and the doors to the towns are still locked. Is there really some little fecker out there still alive that I've missed or am I stuck in a bug??!! I have honestly been through the whole frigging planet, not a living sole is left.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

There was 4 groups, 3 groups of 6 and 1 group of 2. The last group (2) were upstairs in the last house before the door.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,458 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

So I only got to finish this over the weekend. Must say I enjoyed it, found the storyline good and they've laid a solid base for a future game in the series.

One thing that did annoy me though was how easy the game felt pretty much throughout the middle to end section of it. Felt it should have been somewhat more of a challenge on the hard setting. It wasn't until the very end that I found myself having to be more careful when in combat.

All in all a good game though, would recommend for anyone looking for an RPG to see them through the holiday season.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,345 ✭✭✭Homelander

Yeah, that problem plagues all games of this type. By the end of Fallout 3 and Fallout 4 you were almost invulnerable unless someone hit you smack-bang with a nuke, even on the hardest difficulty. I liked the hardcore mode in New Vegas, very challenging but also well implemented.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭H3llR4iser

Sooo, picked this back up last night - I'm still in Byzantium, going to talk with Clarke. Went to talk to the guard outside, he "carelessly" suggested a way I could get in. I went away, procured the McGuffin I needed (no killing involved, not even B&E!), went back...now the guard attacks me on sight? Just that specific guard, all other Board guards just chat amiably with me...WTF?

Will need to go back to an older save :/

So after a couple of weeks away I came back to this and completed it today. Enjoyed the last few hours, having heavily invested in non combat skills I barely needed to fire a bullet from arriving in Byzantium to seeing the credits roll, as I talked and hacked and engineered my way past every obstacle.

This was one of the things that had annoyed me for most of the game prior to that point, as it implies you can find other ways through situations but 90% of the game before Byzantium involved endless Marauders and beasts that had no solution other than combat.

I do wish there had been more to do in Byzantium, and more of the main story in general as it all felt a bit rushed at the end and the major characters never really got well fleshed out. The game was the right length overall, but it could have done with 50% fewer monarch fetch quests and 50% more story progression.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 79,997 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Nearly at the end of this, I really enjoyed it got the
    dumb ending where you drive the ship into the sun LOL!

Trying to wrap this game up but it's breaking my heart with all the crashes when transitioning. Is there anything I can do about it? I'm on game pass version. I think I'm really close to the end but
    cannot get onto the hope
    it just keeps bombing out to desktop on me.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Glebee

Trying to wrap this game up but it's breaking my heart with all the crashes when transitioning. Is there anything I can do about it? I'm on game pass version. I think I'm really close to the end but
    cannot get onto the hope

Same was happening me I think, when you opened the door the game crashed. Had to access the room through a window or something like that I think.

Finished it at last. Decent game but I have to say by the end of it I just wanted to get it done and ticked off the list.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

Finally running Windows 10 so I was able to install this from the XBox whatsit. Played for about 30 mins before going to bed last night, off to a great start, can't wait to be properly stuck into it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭H3llR4iser

So after a couple of weeks away I came back to this and completed it today. Enjoyed the last few hours, having heavily invested in non combat skills I barely needed to fire a bullet from arriving in Byzantium to seeing the credits roll, as I talked and hacked and engineered my way past every obstacle.

This was one of the things that had annoyed me for most of the game prior to that point, as it implies you can find other ways through situations but 90% of the game before Byzantium involved endless Marauders and beasts that had no solution other than combat.

I do wish there had been more to do in Byzantium, and more of the main story in general as it all felt a bit rushed at the end and the major characters never really got well fleshed out. The game was the right length overall, but it could have done with 50% fewer monarch fetch quests and 50% more story progression.

Yeah I can't complete it really, trying and trying but I always end up playing a couple of hours then forgetting about it for weeks.I had the opposite issue - I arrived in Byzantium having invested a lot into combat skills, because when you start encountering the first marauders and realize it takes like 10 bullets to kill a single one, that tends to happen. I the arrived in Byzantium as a Mantiqueen melting powerhouse, only to realize I needed other skills - so I went on to do pretty much all side quests.

cannot get onto the hope

Check you've got all the Windows updates, especially 1909 installed. I came back to the game over the week end only to find it wouldn't start due to some botched update from the store. Had to uninstall it and reinstall it again - but caveat, the installation FAILS for some reason if you don't have Win 10 ver.1909. Got a single crash to the desktop fast traveling to Stellar Bay from Fallbrook after that.

The game has been rock solid before the updates frown.png

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

Just started to properly play this now and I have fixed my space ship. It's really enjoyable so far, can't wait till I'm off work next week and I can get a proper uninterrupted run at it.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,104 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Also getting it Friday. This'll be my Christmas game so hoping it's good.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

I seen they are releasing story related DLC some time in 2020.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭hitemfrank

RopeDrink wrote: »
    This is a game I've been seriously tempted to splash out on, but any time I look at the Epic Store, I see that 60euro price-tag for what people have branded a 20hr story with plenty of optional filler. I've no doubt it's good, and I'm sure it has plenty to keep you busy beyond the story, but I think I'll wait with this one, especially with RE3-R in the works, PoE2, Diablo4 and many other titles I want to get my hands on (even if most of them won't be out for ages).

I only have Epic because of Borderlands 3. It'll be heading to Steam once the initial release dies down, but I suspect they'll throw it up there at full-price as well for a good while before there are any sales.

Just get the Xbox Game Pass for PC a month for 4 quid and play it that way.

You can cancel after that if you think it's not worth 4 Euro a month for the catalog they have.

It's definitely not worth 60euro.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,104 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Got it for €37 from Amazon.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 79,997 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Is it possible to speed run the game on super nova difficulty and still get the super nova achievement ?

Is it possible to speed run the game on super nova difficulty and still get the super nova achievement ?

Are you talking about doing the dumb ending to get it? Doesn't count. There were another 2 achievements that were an either or thing so you'll have to pick up which ever you didn't get the first time on a second run also.

Advertisement