Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The Strike is over. What happens now?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭mr.stonewall

Today should have been a battle left to be hammered out around the table.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,113 ✭✭✭✭Water John

No trade union would go into talks, whilst a court threat was held over any of its members. Not having these cases withdrawn prior to talks, is 'bad faith'.

An alternative, to keep some happy would be to put it the first and only item on the agenda of the first day. Again meal mouthed Minister had said, he would do his best to have this done before the meeting. We now see how much respect ABP/C&D have for him.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭ruwithme

Lads with no cattle to sell are hinting of returning to gates. It’s a disaster both ways.

I doubt they ever had any to sell direct to a factory.

Muckit wrote: »
    How is it affecting you? Are they not people trying to ensure they are not made liable for the stand they took for all of us?

Fair play to then l say. I'd like to Thank them for their efforts.

And the same negative nellies thanking your posts. Hang yer heads in shame.

Looks alot like you were looking for a few thanks yourself with that nonsense

• Registered Users Posts: 11,057 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

Water John wrote: »
    No trade union would go into talks, whilst a court threat was held over any of its members. Not having these cases withdrawn prior to talks, is 'bad faith'.

An alternative, to keep some happy would be to put it the first and only item on the agenda of the first day. Again meal mouthed Minister had said, he would do his best to have this done before the meeting. We now see how much respect ABP/C&D have for him.

TBF Processors don't need the talks,They won't care if the meeting is never arranged. they're doing alright, farmers had a chance to be listened to and they blew it.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,628 Mod ✭✭✭✭Siamsa Sessions

There's always going to be a few who won't be happy and will act up like what happened today. But the Minister gave them an easy excuse to act up when he didn't get the injunctions sorted before now.

The protesters today would have had to work harder to justify their actions if the Minister had his ducks lined up in advance. Maybe there might only have 2-3 protesters if he had. Or maybe none might have turned up.

The blame lies squarely with the Minister first, and a few random protesters second.

Trading as Sullivan’s Farm on YouTube

• Registered Users Posts: 13,247 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

There's always going to be a few who won't be happy and will act up like what happened today. But the Minister gave them an easy excuse to act up when he didn't get the injunctions sorted before now.

The protesters today would have had to work harder to justify their actions if the Minister had his ducks lined up in advance. Maybe there might only have 2-3 protesters if he had. Or maybe none might have turned up.

The blame lies squarely with the Minister first, and a few random protesters second.

Creed has been behind the curve on this.

Especially given his own background in the industry.

Must try harder.

• Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭gerryirl

the strike is over what happens now?

That was the question.. well the answer is sweet fook all is whats happening now. Small time charlies like me cant get cattle killed full stop. I'lll hang on but a there are lads with bigger numbers in serious bother

• Registered Users Posts: 1,138 ✭✭✭MIKEKC

gerryirl wrote: »
    the strike is over what happens now?

That was the question.. well the answer is sweet fook all is whats happening now. Small time charlies like me cant get cattle killed full stop. I'lll hang on but a there are lads with bigger numbers in serious bother

Agree over 40 here all just gone overage no sign of getting them away

• Registered Users Posts: 3,862 ✭✭✭Dickie10

only 27 left to kill here getting a few in monday in moyvalley

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭gerryirl

Dickie10 wrote: »
    only 27 left to kill here getting a few in monday in moyvalley

Are they cutting for weight. I rang a factory today and was asked where do I usually kill my cattle that they were only looking out for exsisting customers. thats a load of ****e if there was ever one. needless to say the conversation didnt last long or end well

• Registered Users Posts: 846 ✭✭✭duffysfarm

The factories now have an unofficial quota system in place. They are only killing the bare minimum to satisfy orders and are not filling stores. They have also made a decision not to fill their feed lots as it's cheaper to get the farmers to feed the cattle themselves rather than the factories. They know the farmers have nowhere else to go with the cattle. The factories don't care if you crossed a picket line for them or anything. Whereas before factories where independent and did their own thing, the strike had the effect of bringing them together to organise things to their benefit.

I think between the strike and Brexit beef far9face the biggest clusterfuc in a few years

• Registered Users Posts: 18,152 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

duffysfarm wrote: »
    The factories now have an unofficial quota system in place. They are only killing the bare minimum to satisfy orders and are not filling stores. They have also made a decision not to fill their feed lots as it's cheaper to get the farmers to feed the cattle themselves rather than the factories. They know the farmers have nowhere else to go with the cattle. The factories don't care if you crossed a picket line for them or anything. Whereas before factories where independent and did their own thing, the strike had the effect of bringing them together to organise things to their benefit.

I think between the strike and Brexit beef far9face the biggest clusterfuc in a few years

Like a lot of your anti BPM posts it full of miss conceptions. Ya the processor are killing the bare minimum since the strike ended they are killing 38K/week just as they did last year as lads threw cattle at them in the fear of the perceived fodder shortage. I be surprised if processors want another picket, yes they know its unlikly until after Christmas but the powers that be will be alienated if another strike happens over the next 6-12 months by processor actions.

Farmers never had anywhere else to go with there finished cattle but into factories the processors and retailers have a nomad cattle rule in place. So that is rubbish as well. Are processors filling there feedlots, its hard to know. However yes they may wait until later to do it as there is an overhand at present. However they are not dropping the price at present the agreement is holding.

Most of this protest was farmer driven, yes BPM lit the fuse but the protests at individual factories were driven local by local farmers grouping together. This was why it was so hard to get pickets removed.

And your statement about factories being in Independant is just more rubbish. Over 70% of the kill is controlled by the big three, Kepak, Dawn and ABP. The SRM disposal is controlled by ABP. For the last 4-5 years there has been more and more centralized control of the industry and pricing reflects that.

There si more misconceptions being thrown around by other posters such as that The BPM has undermined what is a price recover across the EU at present. This started to happen in mid August just as the Irish strike reduced supply. The strike forced a floor under beef prices as Irish beef dropping in price was continually forcing the EU price down. Yes we have not benefited yet but we will.

The other misconception is that those that produce beef for finishers have no right to protest at factories. This is more rubbish by other posters. The issue of profitability in beef lies with the processors/retailers. The EU budget is limited and any support is miniscule compared to the price reduction we have suffered over the last 3-4 years. These price reductions are dropped back onto store/weanling producers. The big problem is a cohort of midsized and larger finishers were happy with the cartel action as the there margin was uneffected and they had compeditive advantage by receiving 20c/kg more. These are the lad now going around claim that the price is lower since before the strike maybe because the 20c/kg has disappeared. This is similar to 3-4 years ago when they got a guaranteed price from Early August-Mid October while the processors dropped the price to the rest of us and then the processors dropped the price to them as well.

The biggest clusterf@@k was that when this strike started was that all farmers did not get behind the action. This is where the fault lies for the inability to push the agenda further.

Slava Ukrainii

thanks for taking the time to read my posts. i agree with you that there is no prospect of any protest soon - the majority of the protesters who are part time farmers are nice and worm in their full time jobs and there is no way they are going to go out and protest in the winter months.

in terms of been anti BPM - I have 30 acres. Every year i have made a small profit that paid for a family holiday. this is the first year that I am running at a loss and unlike some people i cant blame Larry for that. i do know who i would blame but it most definatley is not larry.

in terms of all farmers not getting behind the strike - its a good job that some of them can think for themselves.
    Like a lot of your anti BPM posts it full of miss conceptions. Ya the processor are killing the bare minimum since the strike ended they are killing 38K/week just as they did last year as lads threw cattle at them in the fear of the perceived fodder shortage. I be surprised if processors want another picket, yes they know its unlikly until after Christmas but the powers that be will be alienated if another strike happens over the next 6-12 months by processor actions.

Farmers never had anywhere else to go with there finished cattle but into factories the processors and retailers have a nomad cattle rule in place. So that is rubbish as well. Are processors filling there feedlots, its hard to know. However yes they may wait until later to do it as there is an overhand at present. However they are not dropping the price at present the agreement is holding.

Most of this protest was farmer driven, yes BPM lit the fuse but the protests at individual factories were driven local by local farmers grouping together. This was why it was so hard to get pickets removed.

And your statement about factories being in Independant is just more rubbish. Over 70% of the kill is controlled by the big three, Kepak, Dawn and ABP. The SRM disposal is controlled by ABP. For the last 4-5 years there has been more and more centralized control of the industry and pricing reflects that.

There si more misconceptions being thrown around by other posters such as that The BPM has undermined what is a price recover across the EU at present. This started to happen in mid August just as the Irish strike reduced supply. The strike forced a floor under beef prices as Irish beef dropping in price was continually forcing the EU price down. Yes we have not benefited yet but we will.

The other misconception is that those that produce beef for finishers have no right to protest at factories. This is more rubbish by other posters. The issue of profitability in beef lies with the processors/retailers. The EU budget is limited and any support is miniscule compared to the price reduction we have suffered over the last 3-4 years. These price reductions are dropped back onto store/weanling producers. The big problem is a cohort of midsized and larger finishers were happy with the cartel action as the there margin was uneffected and they had compeditive advantage by receiving 20c/kg more. These are the lad now going around claim that the price is lower since before the strike maybe because the 20c/kg has disappeared. This is similar to 3-4 years ago when they got a guaranteed price from Early August-Mid October while the processors dropped the price to the rest of us and then the processors dropped the price to them as well.

The biggest clusterf@@k was that when this strike started was that all farmers did not get behind the action. This is where the fault lies for the inability to push the agenda further.

thanks for taking the time to read my posts. i agree with you that there is no prospect of any protest soon - the majority of the protesters who are part time farmers are nice and worm in their full time jobs and there is no way they are going to go out and protest in the winter months.

in terms of been anti BPM - I have 30 acres. Every year i have made a small profit that paid for a family holiday. this is the first year that I am running at a loss and unlike some people i cant blame Larry for that. i do know who i would blame but it most definatley is not larry.

in terms of all farmers not getting behind the strike - its a good job that some of them can think for themselves.

If beef prices were 3/kg you be making a loss anyway unless you intended to transfer all losses onto store/weanling producers

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 2,927 ✭✭✭yosemitesam1

The kill is usually around 35-38k a week this time of year, how long is it going to take the backlog to be worked through at that rate?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭Panch18

If beef prices were 3/kg you be making a loss anyway unless you intended to transfer all losses onto store/weanling producers

If protestors like yourself spent more time dealing with reality rather than what ifs then all farmers would be in a better place

The simple fact is that price is recovering around Europe and because the factories have such a huge supply in front of them they have no need or desire to raise prices abound the 3.45 base, why would they

The simple fact is that the beef “plan” has actually made it right easy for the factories this year. Ye literally handed cheap cattle to them on a plate whilst putting fellas with cattle to kill under enormous financial pressure, additional pressure on top of what was already there

I said it at the start but the timing of this protest was nothing short of pure insanity, and nothing has happened since to make me think otherwise

I think calling it a clusterf@@k is actually an understatement

thats a very general comment. how do you know how much i paid for my cattle and what i need to get? i could have cull cows, bulls, bullocks or heifers. I could have calves that i raised from a bucket or a mixture of all of the above.

in terms of transferring a loss to sore or weanling producers i never protest at their gate or a mart gate making them sell to me. i let them make up their own mind as to what way they run their business and do not impose my beliefs on them

• Registered Users Posts: 3,168 ✭✭✭Good loser

thats a very general comment. how do you know how much i paid for my cattle and what i need to get? i could have cull cows, bulls, bullocks or heifers. I could have calves that i raised from a bucket or a mixture of all of the above.

in terms of transferring a loss to sore or weanling producers i never protest at their gate or a mart gate making them sell to me. i let them make up their own mind as to what way they run their business and do not impose my beliefs on them

Points well made.

Every farmer had the option of selling his animals in the mart, instead of the factory. Who then could he blame for low prices or poor returns?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,425 ✭✭✭kk.man

Panch18 wrote: »
    If protestors like yourself spent more time dealing with reality rather than what ifs then all farmers would be in a better place

The simple fact is that price is recovering around Europe and because the factories have such a huge supply in front of them they have no need or desire to raise prices abound the 3.45 base, why would they

The simple fact is that the beef “plan” has actually made it right easy for the factories this year. Ye literally handed cheap cattle to them on a plate whilst putting fellas with cattle to kill under enormous financial pressure, additional pressure on top of what was already there

I said it at the start but the timing of this protest was nothing short of pure insanity, and nothing has happened since to make me think otherwise

I think calling it a clusterf@@k is actually an understatement

That's just pure Mll spin. The factories were heading for 3 euro per kg and fast, till the strikes came about. They now have a a sea of cattle in front of them. Why are they not dropping the prices? Because they are afraid. The biggest mistake Larry made was downing the IFA when they were on their knees (I am not an IFA fan after the Smith affair). You were left with a crowd of uncontrollable people to deal with. The Mll has plenty of opportunity to alieve some farmer grievances at the former beef Forum but decided to ride rough shot over what they thought was a disjointed farmer group of unions.

• Advertisement

Good loser wrote: »
    Points well made.

Every farmer had the option of selling his animals in the mart, instead of the factory. Who then could he blame for low prices or poor returns?

BS the price of cattle in the marts is dictated by finished cattle prices that factories pay. Poor returns are because of poor factory prices. It not like processors will compete for farmers cattle in the mart

Slava Ukrainii

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,034 Mod ✭✭✭✭K.G.

There's a good few yards around here that you wouldn't want to mention the blockades if you want to walk out of them again. Fellas have been put through some awful hardship and still in the thick of it due to bpm

• Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭manjou

K.G. wrote: »
    There's a good few yards around here that you wouldn't want to mention the blockades if you want to walk out of them again. Fellas have been put through some awful hardship and still in the thick of it due to bpm

why are they blaming the blockades. all started because prices were dropping and farmers were going to lose money. whether they achieved anything only time will tell but if cattle prices were good and people were making money they would not have happened.
    having been to accountants and having the figures down in black and white in front of me last june for last 3 years the only figure that stands out is cattle sales figures that have dropped and this he said is only reason profitability has dropped so unless something changes price wise I can't see me staying at farming as it is. so if these farmers looked at where factory prices are at the moment that's where problem lies.

K.G. wrote: »

I have a few of these bullsh!tters as well. I have laid it out in black and white and when I mention the 20c/kg extra most of there were getting up until the present strke ended most shut the f@@k up. I have made it plain to them if they had put there shoulder to the wheel as well it would not have lasted as long as it did.

I can get real thick as well and do not stand for bullying or BS either

Slava Ukrainii

kk.man wrote: »
    That's just pure Mll spin. The factories were heading for 3 euro per kg and fast, till the strikes came about. They now have a a sea of cattle in front of them. Why are they not dropping the prices? Because they are afraid. The biggest mistake Larry made was downing the IFA when they were on their knees (I am not an IFA fan after the Smith affair). You were left with a crowd of uncontrollable people to deal with. The Mll has plenty of opportunity to alieve some farmer grievances at the former beef Forum but decided to ride rough shot over what they thought was a disjointed farmer group of unions.

Christ do you actually think this is some kind of victory or something??

WOW

I have a few of these bullsh!tters as well. I have laid it out in black and white and when I mention the 20c/kg extra most of there were getting up until the present strke ended most shut the f@@k up. I have made it plain to them if they had put there shoulder to the wheel as well it would not have lasted as long as it did.

This ****ing 20 cent you keep on about. How do you know who’s getting or who isn’t?

You don’t. Your just guessing

The only ones doing the bullying are those who stood on factory gates totally against the will of most beef farmers. A cohort of loud mouthed f@@kers who had nothing to loose themselves but we’re more than willing to sacrifice beef finishers. That’s a simple fact for yiu

well said. and as for the 20 cents extra, i got one animal away this morning to Eurofarm Duleek and took 20 cents lessa kg than any other factory was offering. the only reason that i took 20 cents less was because Duleek was the only place that would take her off me!

Panch18 wrote: »
    This ****ing 20 cent you keep on about. How do you know who’s getting or who isn’t?

You don’t. Your just guessing

The only ones doing the bullying are those who stood on factory gates totally against the will of most beef farmers. A cohort of loud mouthed f@@kers who had nothing to loose themselves but we’re more than willing to sacrifice beef finishers. That’s a simple fact for yiu

well it there was a problem at the factory gate then the protests made it worse. i am telling ya, larry came up with the protest idea in the first place. who else would be that stupid to protest at that time of the year.
    manjou wrote: »
    why are they blaming the blockades. all started because prices were dropping and farmers were going to lose money. whether they achieved anything only time will tell but if cattle prices were good and people were making money they would not have happened.
    having been to accountants and having the figures down in black and white in front of me last june for last 3 years the only figure that stands out is cattle sales figures that have dropped and this he said is only reason profitability has dropped so unless something changes price wise I can't see me staying at farming as it is. so if these farmers looked at where factory prices are at the moment that's where problem lies.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,113 ✭✭✭✭Water John

With that kind of conspiracy theory, you should be over on the Trump thread.

We all know the're were two prices. As some one in the business said to a family member, 'I thought you were being looked after'.
    When my family member said all he ever wanted was a fair price that everyone should be getting, said man realised the big error he had made.
    So this is not heresay.

• Advertisement

i would have thought you thats always posting figures would have realised it was a 8 cent a kg increase.

Advertisement