Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

What's your phobia?

1101112131416»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭zzfh

i have a phobia of large posters of dinosaurs/godzilla/sharks etc

this has only really gotten to me in the last 2 yrs,if there is a new film of the sorts in the cinema,and i want to see something else,i wont go and avoid the place until they are removed or whatever.

any ideas what this is called?about?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭OldNotWIse

I freak out at the sight of something under water. Shipwrecks obviously, but even if I saw a plastic deck chair down the bottom of a pool I'd feel terrified :(

• Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭Viva La Gloria

Ok, does anyone else share a phobia of railway viaducts? Eugh, even the thought of them make me want to curl up and cry!

• Registered Users Posts: 45 Just Janice

Rubbing the edge of a broken plate against my two front teeth while chewing my back teeth (with fillings) on a piece of tin foil. YAAAA

• Registered Users Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭Greenmachine

Bovfaephobia. shiny penny for the first to translate.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭Kevin the Kid

Seeing broken bones in sports. Freaks me out. Since I saw the kickboxer clash ankles, shatter his leg and then try and put his weight on it only to see it go 90 degrees the wrong way. Oh god...... i need a lie down.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭Zanablue

My biggest phobia is spiders or anything crawley with lots of legs. Even the thought makes me shiver.

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭evilberry

That's pretty strange, but at some stage (maybe it's somehow relevant - after I lost two very close people in a short period of time like within two weeks, one incident was very tragic) I was afraid of gravity that it would stop working and I would "fall up" the sky. Then it transformed into me afraid of being in a building (sic!), like I would freak and get a panic attack out while at work (I worked on a fifth floor). :D

That's pretty strange, but at some stage (maybe it's somehow relevant - after I lost two very close people in a short period of time like within two weeks, one incident was very tragic) I was afraid of being a part of the universe and gravity - that it would stop working and I would "fall up" the sky. Then it transformed into me afraid of being in a building (sic!), like I would freak and get a panic attack out while at work (I worked on a fifth floor). Then it transformed again into a general altitude fear but now im ok again. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭OldNotWIse

I have trypophobia. I can't stay in the same room as a honeycomb or a speckled hen etc. Makes going out to clubs a nightmare :P

• Advertisement

That's pretty strange, but at some stage (maybe it's somehow relevant - after I lost two very close people in a short period of time like within two weeks, one incident was very tragic) I was afraid of being a part of the universe and gravity - that it would stop working and I would "fall up" the sky. Then it transformed into me afraid of being in a building (sic!), like I would freak out and get a panic attack while at work (I worked on a fifth floor). Then it transformed again into a general altitude fear but now im ok again. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭descheness

4 years ago I was in a car accident and I still get anxiety while driving as a result of it

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭SepTomBer

rats and frogs

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭Vernonymous

lizard

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭descheness

I'm scared of most bugs. They just creep me out!

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭Chrome342

scared with cockroach

• Closed Accounts Posts: 738 ✭✭✭scrimshanker

Large vehicles (juggernauts, buses etc.). Heights. I've been known to faint due to heights.

How small we are in the universe, somehow it freaks the everloving crab out of me to think that we are actually just sitting on a ball traversing space and I shiver in terror looking up on a starry night knowing how far away the stars actually are.

So picture that date when yar man wants to go all romantic on me and wants to watch the stars. Cop the fek on, take me to a pub!

...apart from that I like to think I'm a pretty normal girl actually, sometimes.

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭ballinasloex

Electric stairs (don't know the proper name for them) fell on one when I was about 12,,, haven't been on one since :L

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Urbex

Cardboard, I hate how dry it is and the sound it makes when I touch it.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,997 CMod ✭✭✭✭Fathom

Acrophobia. Now cured. CBT worked.

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭forestgirl

Butterflies,orange and black ones.Anyone else not like them?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,997 CMod ✭✭✭✭Fathom

Friend with fear. Unusual. Mountain lions. Can you name phobia?

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭mark_jmc

Health anxiety
    I've had it since I was in my mid teens, I'm 37 now.
    Last year I was diagnosed with cancer, had surgery, treatment and now i have regular surveillance for 5 years.

The weird thing is that the cancer/ treatment etc didn't phase me so much. It's the unknown that really stresses me out.

Butterflies
    A horrid yoke of a butterfly just flew into my kitchen and I flew out.I'm extremely lucky my husband came to the rescue.I can't believe I am still alive after that incident

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,466 ✭✭✭Lumi

Wasps!! (Spheksophobia)
    And it's a full-blown, proper phobia with pounding heart and blinding panic - the works! I literally can't be in the same space as one, even if it's not close by or bothering me. This time of year is the worst :(
    I know it's completely irrational, especially since I've never been stung. I did watch a few of my friends getting badly stung after they disturbed a nest and the wasps swarmed so that might be the root cause of it, though I seem to remember being terrified of wasps even before that incident.

I can never remember not being terrified of butterflies,it's really bad today.I am looking forward to the rain because it will give me a bit of reprieve for a few days.it is difficult for my family today because butterflies seem to be everywhere

Advertisement