Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MotoGP, Superbikes and Road Racing 2021

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭BanditLuke

Can knock the season on the head lads. IF racing goes ahead it will be without crowds i'd say. Pity as had flights and hotels booked for Portimao but such is life :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,767 ✭✭✭Scotty #

BanditLuke wrote: »
    IF racing goes ahead it will be without crowds i'd say.
    I don't think the tracks will have any interest in running races without the gate receipts. Unless Dorna give them the TV money but I don't think that's likely either.

We might see a cluster of races in Oct/Nov where they run two rounds at each? All depends how this virus goes. I see it's just been officially declared a pandemic a few moments ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭h3000

Now before I start I know that there are much more important issues going on right now but......................

Having just paid out for the MotoGP videopass in early March its reall annoying that there are no races happening. It's much worse for people who have booked hotels/flights for races too.

0118 999 881 999 119 725 3

• Closed Accounts Posts: 245 ✭✭Syncpolice

frostie500 wrote: »
    Yep, Glenn will be on the Honda

It's weird , always get the impression he's wary of the road and who could blame him

• Registered Users Posts: 22,938 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Iannone has recieved an 18 month ban.

Wonder if he'll miss any races?

• Advertisement

h3000 wrote: »
    Having just paid out for the MotoGP videopass...
    Videopass is now free until the next race.

pjohnson wrote: »
    Iannone has recieved an 18 month ban.

Wonder if he'll miss any races?
    He won't be back to MotoGP, ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 676 ✭✭✭legrand

I'm not confident we will see any races this year.

Despite statement below has anyone tried to get a refund? I'm assuming under consumer rights legislation it should be possible?

What is the refund Policy for MotoGP VideoPass?
    Except where we offer, at our absolute discretion, an applicable VideoPass exchange or refund facility, VideoPasses cannot be refunded after purchase. We shall not be liable to make any refund or pay any compensation.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,618 ✭✭✭Infoanon

Scotty # wrote: »
    He won't be back to MotoGP, ever.

Aprilla are standing by Iannone - it was found that he did not purposely take steroids but rather ingested them through contaminated meat.

Iannone is appealing the decision.

Infoanon wrote: »
    Aprilla are standing by Iannone - it was found that he did not purposely take steroids but rather ingested them through contaminated meat.

Iannone is appealing the decision.

The FIM have already taken into account the taking was possibly accidental. I don't see the CAS overruling, they have stood by penalties for accidental ingestion's in the past.

So if he losses his appeal, and it's likely he will, he'll miss all winter testing and the first 8 races of the 2021 season so it effectively puts him out til 2022 by which time he'll be hitting 33 years of age. His contract with Aprilia runs out end of 2020. Do you really see Aprilla or any other team offering him a contract then? I don't.

• Advertisement

Scotty # wrote: »
    The FIM have already taken into account the taking was possibly accidental. I don't see the CAS overruling, they have stood by penalties for accidental ingestion's in the past..

They ruled it was not purposely taken so ' possibly accidental' I's out of the equation.
    Aprilla have labelled the decision "Absurd " and are clearly standing by Iannone.

I can see a reduced sentence and Aprillas loyalty seeing Iannone back in moto gp.

I am not an Iannone fan , after the mess he left at Suzuki Aprilla should have stayed a mile away from him but they wanted an Italian (race winning) rider.

In other news Le Man's is postponed with Mugello to be postponed imminently

They ruled it was not purposely taken so ' possibly accidental' I's out of the equation.
    They did not. His lawyers and Aprilia have claimed it was accidental and claimed the FIM believe them but the FIM never mentioned anything of this in their ruling. Read the full statement.
    Aprilla have labelled the decision "Absurd " and are clearly standing by Iannone.
    Well they're going to aren't they? They have a lot of time and money invested in him and don't want to see one of their team banned for doping. But, if he loses his appeal it's arrivederci amico.

I do feel sorry for Ianone. This is a massive blow to his career. By all accounts it was a only a trace amount of the drug that was found and this is probably his best chance of a successful appeal. The Court of Arbitration are not going to care if it was an accidental doping as they've show several times in the past. Sure then they'd have every athlete claiming they ate a dodgy hamburger.
    In other news Le Man's is postponed...
    I knew this was coming but disappointing as I have it booked and it's almost certainly my last chance to see Rossi race again. :(

Mugello and Barcelona now postponed.

Ducatis suggestion of having double headers over two weekends is starting to make a lot of sense as is Aprillas suggestion of using 2020 bikes in 2021.

Just to add to the fun Petronas have said that if there is no 2020 season then Fabio stays with them in 2021.

Iannone - the full decision has still not been issued ,it's assumed Iannone will appeal the 18 month ban

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭DaveD

Great documentary following Dovi throughout the 2019 season available on red bull tv. Much needed MotoGP fix!

https://www.redbull.com/int-en/films/andrea-dovizioso-undaunted-film

• Registered Users Posts: 676 ✭✭✭legrand

always worth re-watching - https://youtu.be/IWiM2EAux0o
    Rossis' 1st motogp win and the mighty Jeremy McWilliams (40bhp down on his rivals).

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭roroliam

Jeremy raced for Ireland that day. Joey Dunlop killed the weekend before , 4 lads in a pub in Co Kildare, small telly put on reluctantly by owner (everyone wants to watch the football). We shouted and screamed for ever lap and we cried at the end. No one was watching the football at the end. The owner bought us a drink and said that we could watch moto gp any weekend on the big telly. 8 years later same 4lads crying in a feild at the NW200 when Micheal Dunlop won the 250cc race two days after Robert ( his father ) was killed.

As expected Assen is now officially postponed to later in the year (or next year.).

Earliest Moto gp can restart is Brno in August.

As an aside - the Moto GP bikes only returned to Europe from Qatar yesterday due to the logistical issues brought about by Covid 19

Update - Assen,German and Finnish moto gp all cancelled now.
    Key word cancelled as opposed to earlier postponements
    Carmelo Ezpeleta spoke to BT Sports on Sunday about a possible European based series starting in July with the season extending to November utilising the Spanish (and the hotter weather ) circuits for the end of season races.

An advantage Moto gp has over eg F1 is the factories have European bases and Dorna are wiling to move the 'circus' by road and minimise the team staffing numbers - engineers etc to the absolute minimum,something which the teams agree to unlike other motor sports.

Brno is still officially the first race of the season for Moto GP.

Dorna and the local government of Jerez have put forward a proposal to the Spanish government to have two races at Jerez (all classes) on the 19th and 26th of July.

If all goes well a WSBK round would take place on the 2nd of August.

Limit on numbers , regular testing etc form part of the plan.

In other news Joan Mir is confirmed at Suzuki and it's reported that Yamaha and SRT are working on the finer details of a Rossi move to SRT (ie the financial details !)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭jelutong

Motorsport Ireland to broadcast RPM TV Programmes on YouTube at the rate of at least one per week starting May 7th. Brilliant news.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,368 ✭✭✭XsApollo

Dorna and the local government of Jerez have put forward a proposal to the Spanish government to have two races at Jerez (all classes) on the 19th and 26th of July.

If all goes well a WSBK round would take place on the 2nd of August.

Limit on numbers , regular testing etc form part of the plan.

In other news Joan Mir is confirmed at Suzuki and it's reported that Yamaha and SRT are working on the finer details of a Rossi move to SRT (ie the financial details !)

I think that will be a nice looking bike when it’s done.

Edit: Rossi’s that is

As 2021 signings are being finalised the big question is what is going on at Ducati.

Ducati had chased the signatures of Vinales and Mir but landed neither.

Discussions with Dovi have stalled and relations between Ducati and Dovi are said to be fractured.

Despite Dovi being Marquez main rival and beating him in head to head battles , the powers that be at Ducati do not believe Dovi has what it takes to be world champion.

Petrucci is highly unlikely to be retained, it looks like winning the Italian GP on an Italian Bike was his career goal and he speaks of maybe winning races but a world championship being beyond him - a move to WSBK seems highly likely.

According to Ducati there are 3 other riders in contention for the factory ride - Miller, Bagnia and Zarco.

None of them are seen as future world champions - is it possible that a 6th rider is in play ?, A race winner with Ducati who left / was let go just as his wining ways returned ,a rider who knows how to be world champion ?, a rider who was going to wild card but finds his way back into a SRT Yamaha ride blocked ,a rider who Ducati wanted to place at Pramac for 2020.....

Will we find Jorge Lorenzo at Ducati in 2021 ?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,938 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Ducati picked Miller for 2021.

• Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭Magown3

Is that the first or last seat filled for the factory Ducati team?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭h3000

pjohnson wrote: »
    Ducati picked Miller for 2021.

Awesome. I'm delighted he got the ride.

0118 999 881 999 119 725 3

Magown3 wrote: »
    Is that the first or last seat filled for the factory Ducati team?

First - Dovi has not yet agreed terms aka $$$.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,905 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Just a heads up for anyone suffering racing withdrawal symptoms.
    MotoAmerica is racing this Saturday in Wisconsin, Elkhart Lake.
    Also probably better known as Road America.
    I know its not MotoGP or WSBK or even BSB but its a lot better than reruns ad infinitum.
    So if you have Eurosport or Eurosport Player have a look at the Saturday Schedule 2100 hrs for live MC racing!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭pablo128

Silverstone and Phillip Island now cancelled.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,101 ✭✭✭Max Headroom

CJhaughey wrote: »
    Just a heads up for anyone suffering racing withdrawal symptoms.
    MotoAmerica is racing this Saturday in Wisconsin, Elkhart Lake.
    Also probably better known as Road America.
    I know its not MotoGP or WSBK or even BSB but its a lot better than reruns ad infinitum.
    So if you have Eurosport or Eurosport Player have a look at the Saturday Schedule 2100 hrs for live MC racing!

...and sunday (tonight) too...;)

Will we be getting any BSB bcd do ya think..??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,905 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

...and sunday (tonight) too...;)

Will we be getting any BSB bcd do ya think..??

I watched the Saturday evening race and then stupidly thought that the Sunday race would auto-record on Sky. DUH.
    So I missed the Sunday session.
    Hard to see the BSB starting any time soon, but you never know what might happen.
    I would think International racing ie MGP and SBK won't happen until much later this year if at all.
    International travel seems to be extremely problematic given the quarantine rules and the whole circus is reliant on moving quickly from place to place, exactly what is not happening right now.

Advertisement