Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

RTE Gold discussion thread

Options

Comments

A 96k stream would use about 42MB an hour. Not too excessive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭Phat Dick

Is it true gold isn't on any other television platform apart from saorview ? If so it's a big handicap as I'd imagine most of the younger housewives who like Will Leahy are paytv users

• Registered Users Posts: 5,991 ✭✭✭Declan A Walsh

Phat Dick wrote: »
    Is it true gold isn't on any other television platform apart from saorview ? If so it's a big handicap as I'd imagine most of the younger housewives who like Will Leahy are paytv users

No, RTE Gold is on Virgin Media's digital radio selection as are all of RTE's radio stations.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,767 ✭✭✭griffin100

A 2002 song from Justin Timberlake on Gold, seriously? I can hear that on 2FM.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭MikeyTaylor

griffin100 wrote: »
    A 2002 song from Justin Timberlake on Gold, seriously? I can hear that on 2FM.
    Haha. 2.5FM, we need you!

• Advertisement

Fast becoming my favourite oldies station,I used to listen to BBC R2,Gold (UK),Absolute 60s,70s & 80s but this station is brilliant and I am hearing some old Irish tracks that would never be played on the UK stations.I like Will Leahys show,he is great in the morning.Just wish the station was more accessible for the car (outside of DAB coverage),relying on 4G to play it via the car radio is good but its chews up the data!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭George Sunsnow

4 G radio streaming of gold does not chew up data
    Maybe 25 Mb an hour
    It would take two days continuous streaming to use up a gig

So 4 hrs a day in the car would use a gig in a month

zorro2566 wrote: »
    Fast becoming my favourite oldies station,I used to listen to BBC R2,Gold (UK),Absolute 60s,70s & 80s but this station is brilliant and I am hearing some old Irish tracks that would never be played on the UK stations.I like Will Leahys show,he is great in the morning.Just wish the station was more accessible for the car (outside of DAB coverage),relying on 4G to play it via the car radio is good but its chews up the data!
    Good to hear! Will has a good taste in music.

Good to hear! Will has a good taste in music.

Did my ears deceive me or did he played U2's latest single this morning - Get Out Of Your Own Way.

Enjoyed this mornings live stuff form Paul Heaton and Jacki Abbot. Have seen them live a couple of times and they are fantastic.

Big fan of the Housemartins and the Beautiful South so I enjoyed this mornings show too! Love that Blackwater Banks song!

• Advertisement

zorro2566 wrote: »
    Big fan of the Housemartins and the Beautiful South so I enjoyed this mornings show too! Love that Blackwater Banks song!
    Paul Heaton is a great songwriter.

Will was at it again this morning, two new releases played between 8 and 9. Don't think he gets the 'gold' concept. Rick has been excellent to date with some good music choices - I do like the relatively obscure country songs he has a penchant for.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,423 ✭✭✭ford fiesta

griffin100 wrote: »
    Will was at it again this morning, two new releases played between 8 and 9. Don't think he gets the 'gold' concept. Rick has been excellent to date with some good music choices - I do like the relatively obscure country songs he has a penchant for.

I think the point of his breakfast show is aiming towards the 'Gold' listener... not just playing 100% 'Gold' oldies.
    So new releases from 'Gold' or established artists will feature on his show. Those artists who wont get played on 2FM though would probably be playlisted by Radio 1.

I think the point of his breakfast show is aiming towards the 'Gold' listener... not just playing 100% 'Gold' oldies.
    So new releases from 'Gold' or established artists will feature on his show. Those artists who wont get played on 2FM though would probably be playlisted by Radio 1.

So contemporary music from established acts that aul fellas might like, now I get it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭radonicus

Too much chat in the morning, the kind of nonsense - the time is.../ what's in the papers/ on this day etc, read by the now ubiquitous bubbly female - that you get on every other station.

A pity as generally the music is good.

Rory Cowan was on on Xmas Day.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

Rory Cowan was on on Xmas Day.

I hope that's not the thin end of the wedge.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭Mr Snow

sligojoek wrote: »
    I hope that's not the thin end of the wedge.

Rorry is back on new years day at 1

Any recommendations for presenter-free 'gold' style music, either on app or radio?

I can't listen to Gold anymore unfortunately, too much drivel.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,714 ✭✭✭✭Andy From Sligo

wife left on BBC Radio 2 this morning (sunday) was going to turn it over but thought I would give it a listen. - haven't listened to Radio 2 in years.

not bad , very high brow/posh - very random song playlist

1. Send in the Clowns
    2. Dedicated follower of Fashion
    3. Jeff Waynes war of the worlds
    4. howard keel song from pacific?

was lovely not to be bombarded with Adverts ...

I realised after a while for the random music, it was Elaine Paige on Sunday playing show tunes and news from Stage and shows.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭Mr Snow

radonicus wrote: »
    Any recommendations for presenter-free 'gold' style music, either on app or radio?

I can't listen to Gold anymore unfortunately, too much drivel.

have you try gold in the the uk they have 1 dj on the weekday and the weekend

Mr Snow wrote: »
    have you try gold in the the uk they have 1 dj on the weekday and the weekend

Thanks, will have a look.

Currently listening back to Gold 'through the night', via the app. Good tunes and none of that guy's nonsense.

Absolute 60s and 70s are great as well!

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Mickey Mike

From what we know of RTE Gold and the rest of the RTE digital radio channels are to be switched off next month, I wonder if Gold could merge with one of the other national channels, it would be ashamed to see it go entity.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,714 ✭✭✭✭Andy From Sligo

From what we know of RTE Gold and the rest of the RTE digital radio channels are to be switched off next month, I wonder if Gold could merge with one of the other national channels, it would be ashamed to see it go entity.

is that for sure now next month? - i thought RTE were going to extend it at the moment because of the amount of people that are confined to home at the moment with the coronavid ?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,898 ✭✭✭thesandeman

Gold is going to be merging with Radio 1 on weekend afternoons for the next few weeks anyway.
    If it gets enough support from new listeners who probably didn't even know it existed it can only be a good thing.

Gold is going to be merging with Radio 1 on weekend afternoons for the next few weeks anyway.
    If it gets enough support from new listeners who probably didn't even know it existed it can only be a good thing.

so are the current Derek Mooney, Michael Cahill shows instead of Saturday / Sunday sport going to be on both stations?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,898 ✭✭✭thesandeman

Other way around by the looks of it. I'll miss Mooney if he's taken off again.

Will and Rick on from this weekends 2pm

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Mickey Mike

A pitition was had to save Gold recently but has fallen on deaf ears by senior RTE management. Wikipedia saorview page states its switch off during April 2020. Something is going to give with RTE cost cutting and the digital radio channels are first and foremost to go.

Advertisement