Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Whats the worst area in dublin?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,556 ✭✭✭Slunk

gurramok wrote:
    Jayzus, you don't know your geography.
    That area was Abbottstown, home of the ATM gang which is half mile from Valley Park.
    Its odd, i live in Valey Park and it certainly is no kip.

I was talking about the general finglas area. Plus, if your referring to the gun incident being on abbotstown, you are partly right. Was on abbotstown road/rathoath avenue area.I too am from the area so I doubt Im wrong

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭nlgbbbblth

LFCFan wrote:
    I'd rather live in an area of sad selfish people then people who will rob me and beat me up :)

well said

someone was bound to say that they preferred skangers to rugger buggers.
    :rolleyes:

do they genuinely believe it to be the case or are they being PC/right on for the sake of it?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,935 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

Born and bred in Ballymun, through the '70s and '80s. Great fun it was. I will never forget the '10 past 4 on the Hill' finger pointing in the Comp :D

Everyone I knew were 'salt of the earth' people as well :p

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,731 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Real B-man

Everywhere are scummers you no when tracey wins the lotto they move to a lovely private estate in glasnevin!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

Um, would someone mind explaining to me what 'salt of the earth' means? Is it just a euphamism for 'Friendly old neighbourhood scumbags' or what?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,935 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

• Registered Users Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

Ah so I take it people here were being sarcastic then.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,695 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

Can we not just skip the lot and say Dublin is a ****hole?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,379 ✭✭✭ando

jonnybadd wrote:
    Yeah i agree with that. I used to live in Raheny, and while Raheny isnt a bad place in itself, its surrounded by Killbarrick, Edenmore, and Donaghmede who frequently meet in the 'neutral ground' of Raheny for gang wars

ah Killbarack is nowhere near as bad as it was about 7 yrs ago (me remembers 'the commitments'). I live between Raheny and Killbarack and since the Flats were knocked down at killbarack Dart station a few years ago, the scum level has reduced a lot

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

eirebhoy wrote:
    I live in the Pearse Street area and until recently very few places would beat it for scumbag-ism.

There are two huge sets of flats Pearse House and Markievicz. Pearse House must have over 20 blocks of flats all joined in a circle (I'd actually say there's more than 20). The flats are now used for most film's and ad's that want to show the rought parts of Dublin (film: "Inside I'm Dancing" and the ad: Eric Cantona "Euromillions ad were the most recent). Markievicz is slightly smaller but still bloody huge.

These two sets of flats are next to each other and put it this way, a poor student wouldn't get away with living there. :) Other flats around the area are Leo Fitzgerald, St Andrews court, Macken Street (this is actually a nice set) and more. The place is full of them.

It has really calmed down now as all the scumbags are older and the younger generation spend their weekends getting barred from pubs. Come Hallowe'en there was no place in Dublin like the Pearse Street area. Every single scumbag in the area would go to the fire (and there was up to 1000-2000 of them ranging from ages 8-108). This fire was enourmous, hundreds of monsterous tires. Every year there would be robbed cars at the fire and the place would be ransacked.

I could go on forever about Pearse Street. The thing about it was, its a big area but everyone around here calls it Pearse street even though most places aren't on Pearse street. Whenever something was in the paper on the area it was in the papers as the City Centre so nobody knew it was this place.

Actually, talking about Halloween. Only 3 years ago the guards and corporation came to take a few tires away as there was too many. The wheels on the police vans were all punctured and the corporation got nothing. The police must have been really riled up as the riot squad came back to the fire at around 3 in the morning and started attacking anyone in sight. They had a talk about it on RTE radio the following morning but they just called it Erne Street as that is where the fire was.

So basically, if this place was put under one big name like Tallaght, Summerhill or Ballymun it would be up there with the top scumbag places in Dublin.
    Just to add to this. A lad was shot dead today in Lucan. He originally lived 20 yards from my house and his family still live there but all the news reports just say he's from the city centre...

The fella is actually decent btw. Far from being a scumbag. He was recently involved in a mini-feud with another family and he hit one of them. A lot of people seem to think thats what its over but I doubt it. I know the other family that was involved and I doubt they'd go that far.

I have a feeling why he was shot but I'm certainly not going to say it on a forum so soon after the incident.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,618 ✭✭✭Civilian_Target

I live in Mulhuddart - and was expecting it to be rougher TBH. Its not a particularly nice part of the world, and I won't be going for a drink in Michael Graces in Corduff any time soon, but its a whole lot safer than some other places I've lived in, and I've never felt overly threatened.

I'd say Thomas St. and the Coombe are still fairly rough...

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,252 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

eirebhoy wrote:

I have a feeling why he was shot but I'm certainly not going to say it on a forum so soon after the incident.

You should not say it anytime.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,388 ✭✭✭Kernel

I live in Mulhuddart - and was expecting it to be rougher TBH. Its not a particularly nice part of the world, and I won't be going for a drink in Michael Graces in Corduff any time soon, but its a whole lot safer than some other places I've lived in, and I've never felt overly threatened.

I'd say Thomas St. and the Coombe are still fairly rough...

In Thomas Street and the Coombe, things are only rough if you are not from around there, in Mulhuddart, they hate everyone! Total kip, full of skangers from the Shanty all the way to the Westies' favourite shopping mall, blanchardstown shopping centre. That river at the shanty smells like **** as well.

Great spar in the village though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭tom-thebox

Abour Hill.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,963 ✭✭✭SpAcEd OuT

Dublins funny in a way I went up to my mates who live in west finglas and didnt notice any trouble,I was walking through Malahide the other night and saw someone getting their face kicked in,I also remember a few months back on me way to a mates in Templelogue walking through Rathgar seeing a huge amount of pikeys (maybe 15-20) hitting some elder lads coming out of the bookies.

Crumlin deserves to be mentioned alot more than it is,ever been up around sundrive park at night? :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,388 ✭✭✭Kernel

SpAcEd OuT wrote:
    Crumlin deserves to be mentioned alot more than it is,ever been up around sundrive park at night? :eek:

just when I'm buying my drugs. Crumlin isn't as bad as it used to be, the older an estate gets the calmer it gets - people buy the houses from the corpo and then it gets too expensive for skangers to buy.

When they move all the corporation/council houses out to Meath/Kildare/Lucan, we can all enjoy the great capital city again.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,573 ✭✭✭Infini

Dunsink Lane.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭Cat O'Nine Tail

To anyone who says that Ballymun is a 'bad' area of Dublin, let me ask you this: have you ever lived out here?

I do, and have done for the past seventeen years, on and off. And as I type this, there are no robbed cars screaming up and down the road, no gangs of sucmbags fighting, no crowds of people sitting out drinking. In fact, its so quiet, you could hear a pin drop.

There's times where I feel safer walking around Ballymun at night than I would walking down O'Connell Street. My boyfriend, who's originally from Bray, says he feels safer here than he does in a 'nice' area like Bray.

Don't judge the 'Mun if you've never spent any length of time here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭tom-thebox

ffs get out you Munnar!!!

just kidding :)

tom

• Registered Users Posts: 4,107 ✭✭✭John R

There's times where I feel safer walking around Ballymun at night than I would walking down O'Connell Street. My boyfriend, who's originally from Bray, says he feels safer here than he does in a 'nice' area like Bray.

Who ever said Bray was a nice area???

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 34,942 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

It's true though, on any of the few occasions I've been in the 'mun it was eerily quiet, kind of like that scene with the sniper in Full Metal Jacket.

I wonder how many non-Dubliners are reading this and taking it all at face value - downtown Grozny wouldn't hold a candle to Dublin by the sounds of it :D

Worst pub in Dublin? Has that been done before?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,001 ✭✭✭rabbitinlights

jobstown - had a very scary bus journey through there. not a very nice place

• Registered Users Posts: 5,967 ✭✭✭Pyr0

To anyone who says that Ballymun is a 'bad' area of Dublin, let me ask you this: have you ever lived out here?

I do, and have done for the past seventeen years, on and off. And as I type this, there are no robbed cars screaming up and down the road, no gangs of sucmbags fighting, no crowds of people sitting out drinking. In fact, its so quiet, you could hear a pin drop.

I find a bad area to walk around when your fifteen like me would be the gap in the wall leading to Old Town road...A good few scumbags would hang around ..I've been attacked twice around there coming back for lunch from school.....

But most of the time the "Mun" is pretty decent.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 520 ✭✭✭foxybrowne

Donabate is fairly sh1te.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,136 ✭✭✭Superman

got lost in inchicore on a bicycle one night!
    a lot of 'eds round there had to watch.
    but just kept a low profile and got out of there!
    generally most areas are bad if your looking for touble/look rich/have a nice car/are a girl.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,849 ✭✭✭condra

Ballymun is nothing like it used to be. I live beside it. At the foot of ballymun as such heheh. Its pretty run down and theres plenty of scum about. But its actually safe enough to ramble about during the day as long as youre not wearing a bowler hat and a laptop.

Of the places Ive been in Dublin, here is my all time top 5 **** holes:

At 5:
    Hell on earth- its Thomas Street!

at 4:
    Take me down to the paradise city, where the grass is green and the girls are pregnant- its FINGLAS!

at 3:
    Go there- youre darned if you do and youre lucky if you dont- its DARNDALE!

at 2:
    Two men enter, one man leaves- its DOLPHINS BARN!

And at number 1:
    There is something in the air tonight, and it smells like heroin and piss- its SUMMERHILL!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

My boyfriend, who's originally from Bray, says he feels safer here than he does in a 'nice' area like Bray.

depends where in Bray... The old fasseroe estate would have put anywhere in the country to shame in its day...think at one stage i heard something like 35% of all the Heroin addicts in Ireland lived in that estate around 1990.

As for Ballymun, one of my best mates grew up there and he says it's a bit rough ...admitedly he hasn't been there for a couple of years now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭Cat O'Nine Tail

Who ever said Bray was a nice area???

My BF is from the Wheatfield area of Bray, just down the road from the Oldtown estate. The first night he came out to Ballymun, he said he'd been expecting robbed cars and snipers.
    I find a bad area to walk around when your fifteen like me would be the gap in the wall leading to Old Town road
    I live facing that gap, on Shangan. There's not that many scumbags there now, and most of the time(in my experience, anyway) if you don't mind them, they usually leave you alone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 156 ✭✭Unit00

Clondalkin

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

Tha Gopher wrote:
    I know Cavan very well and Id rate their scum perhaps slightly higher than Dublin. Fair enough, there is less of a guns and heroin problem, but they are some hard kunts alot of them
    Longford is even worse :eek:
    Totally agree with that.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement