Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

hardy Bucks - Season 2 - RTE 2 Monday nights

• 15-11-2011 9:54am
    Registered Users Posts: 14,930 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Saw the first episode of the second season of the Hardy Bucks on RTE2 last night.

I have to say it was a vast improvement on the 3 episodes that were on last year.

It was far less contrived, it was more back to basics , just Eddie and Buzz feckiin around the town really.

And there was plenty of focus on Buzz too, who is by far the best character in it.

Loved The Boo giving the martial arts class to the only ladies too, loved the close up of one of them practising her jabs.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭The Scientician

That's good to hear 'cos the shows on telly in the last series weren't a patch on the web-based stuff they did previously.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,930 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

That's good to hear 'cos the shows on telly in the last series weren't a patch on the web-based stuff they did previously.

Still not as good as the youtube originals but getting there

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

Still not as good as the youtube originals but getting there

I think that sums it up.

It's a huge improvement on the three episodes last year, which were muck.

There were some brilliant lines, loved Buzz's tales of the MILF and the Boo's martial arts classes were quality.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

Massive improvement on the first series.
    Can't wait to see Buzz's Milf.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Frank Funk

I don't know, it wasn't obnoxious cringe bad like last year but it was a looonng bloody half-hour. It's nice that they have the focus of the web series back, and the lads are likable again but I didn't laugh once. The youtube stuff had me breathless from the laughing.

The one or two set-pieces they had that could have been amazing just fell flat. Eddie Durken at an AA meeting; watching it I was thinking, this is a great idea; why isn't it funny?

• Advertisement

It's like a sex tap. You turn it on and all the sex comes out.

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭duiggers

ronnie3585 wrote: »
    It's like a sex tap. You turn it on and all the sex comes out.

The only line that really made me laugh in the episode, hopefully we'll get a few more LOLs in the next episode

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

It was alright but the production is a bit lazy, it's a bit fair city in it's camera angles and editing. Visually it's very dull.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 845 ✭✭✭yupyup7up

I've about as much chance of getting a job as Stephen Hawking has getting trials with AC Milan

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 256 ✭✭coniosumadre

Scumlord,what a twat...Do you even know what your talking about???what do you expect,James Bond visuals???avatar????Get a grip its the Hardy Bucks for christs sake!!!!Have to say it was a very good episode....

• Advertisement

ScumLord wrote: »
    It was alright but the production is a bit lazy, it's a bit fair city in it's camera angles and editing. Visually it's very dull.

I think that sort of thing adds to it, it's a mocumentary remember, a camera crew follwing a few lads 'up town'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 884 ✭✭✭spider guardian

The bit with Eddie and Buzz drunk in the chinese at the end really made me laugh. As did Eddie's ode to the beautiful pint at the AA meeting.

Just picked up on the buzz quote "sur listen if ya cant hear me your thick" when noleen says "what?" in the chinese restaurant...Funny stuff...IMO thats as good as any of the best web episodes..

• Registered Users Posts: 8,357 ✭✭✭squonk

I agree they've finally started getting more focused again. I liked the episode. It wasn't laugh out loud funny but very enjoyable overall with a few very funny bits, the chinese at the end and the AA meeting, as well as them going on the piss with one of the AA lads on the bank's credit card.

I suppose the thing is that the web eps were 10 minutes long. They were a lot more condensed and the events were closer to each other so overall things seemed funnier. I thought the current episode is on a par with the web episodes given they've to fill 25 minutes.

squonk wrote: »
    I agree they've finally started getting more focused again. I liked the episode. It wasn't laugh out loud funny but very enjoyable overall with a few very funny bits, the chinese at the end and the AA meeting, as well as them going on the piss with one of the AA lads on the bank's credit card.

I suppose the thing is that the web eps were 10 minutes long. They were a lot more condensed and the events were closer to each other so overall things seemed funnier. I thought the current episode is on a par with the web episodes given they've to fill 25 minutes.

I would really like to think that after last seasons average shows the original creators (Tordoff etc) were given a bit more free reign this time round and thus the improvement we saw on Monday.

In fcat it may have happened late last year as the 2010 Christmas special was an improvement on the earlier three shows, and the Christmas special was filmed in Nov at the earliest, it was actually snowing during the shooting

I hope that is the case but only time will tell.

Think so,It also seems a third more experienced writer,not in anyways connected with the Bucks came on board sometime around the christmas special.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

I thought last Mondays episode was very good and better then last years ones,they seem to have gone back to basics with the storyline,I hope it continues to improve

• Registered Users Posts: 2,258 ✭✭✭MayoForSam

Pretty decent effort overall, big improvement from some of last season's dross. They could have condensed the really good bits into about 10 minutes though.

"Eddie Durcan, never workin"

"If there was a job going in the bed, he'd be sleeping on the floor"

"Women and biscuits"

"Glass with curves like a Belgian model"

The Viper is very annoying, what is he playing at?

It was funny recognizing some of the locals they used as extras.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭magentas

Gotta love the viper! Eddie durkin, never workin:D

Buzz is getting more airtime too, in AA with the wino is awful funny
    Re: being an alcholic "Fair play to ya"

and when they're drinking fat frogs in the pub "this gets worse with age so ya'd want ta drink it as soon as ya buy the shtuff"!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

"Stephen Hawking has more of a chance getting trials with Inter Milan then I have getting a job" :D

• Advertisement

magentas wrote: »
    Buzz is getting more airtime too, in AA with the wino is awful funny
    Re: being an alcholic "Fair play to ya"

I thought that was the best line in that episode:D

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

I think that sort of thing adds to it, it's a mocumentary remember, a camera crew follwing a few lads 'up town'.
    Any documentary you see these days puts some effort into making it look more appealing, it makes it look less like a documentary by not doing these things. That episode was very like Fair cities style of stand in front of the camera and say our lines.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,595 ✭✭✭Giruilla

Wow massive improvement on whatever that was last season. The seem to have free reign to curse when they want, and you can tell they are way more comfortable without any constraints.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,318 ✭✭✭Fishooks12

SimCard at the AA meeting: "can I stay for the craic?" :D

Massive improvement on the first TV season and back to the old style.

Looking forward to next week

ScumLord wrote: »
    Any documentary you see these days puts some effort into making it look more appealing, it makes it look less like a documentary by not doing these things. That episode was very like Fair cities style of stand in front of the camera and say our lines.

Not surprising seeing as may of the people involved are just people from around Castletown.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,318 ✭✭✭Fishooks12

Not surprising seeing as may of the people involved are just people from around Castletown.

*Swinford :)

By the way, the whole Fair City comparison is ridiculously irrelevant

• Registered Users Posts: 1,364 ✭✭✭paddyismaddy

big improvement from last season good opener

• Registered Users Posts: 764 ✭✭✭floutingmaxims

The preview for the next ep is looking good :)

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭Flashdean

Will it be on again this weekend i missed it last monday?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭Flashdean

Mup its on tonight at 10.55

Advertisement