Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tracking Item from UK

• 29-02-2008 8:13pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 273 ✭✭

I bought an item on ebay last Tuesday, and I was told it was shipped from the UK to me on wednesday.
    I was given a tracking number for Royal Mail but so far all I have received from the tracking system was:
    1. Item posted on 26th Feb;then
    2. Item has been passed to the overseas postal service for delivery in EIRE.

I have been getting this message all day today with no further update. I tried the Tracking Number with An Post (over the phone and online) but they had no record of the item...
    When I rang Royal Mail today they said the item had been handed over in Dublin but they didnt have the name of the company it was handed over to.

Does anyone know who handles Royal Mail packages coming into Ireland? I think it is An Post but if it is shouldn't I be able to track the item with them??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭Macker1

I bought an item on ebay last Tuesday, and I was told it was shipped from the UK to me on wednesday.
    I was given a tracking number for Royal Mail but so far all I have received from the tracking system was:
    1. Item posted on 26th Feb;then
    2. Item has been passed to the overseas postal service for delivery in EIRE.

I have been getting this message all day today with no further update. I tried the Tracking Number with An Post (over the phone and online) but they had no record of the item...
    When I rang Royal Mail today they said the item had been handed over in Dublin but they didnt have the name of the company it was handed over to.

Does anyone know who handles Royal Mail packages coming into Ireland? I think it is An Post but if it is shouldn't I be able to track the item with them??

The agent sometimes used in Ireland is a company called GLS.

http://www.gls-holding.com/

http://www.gls-holding.de/parcel/status.php3

Overall their not too bad but thats only my opinion. If you contact them they should be able to help. The second link is online tracking but sometimes the number gets amended when package is transferred from Royal Mail to GLS.

Hope this helps....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 273 ✭✭Irishdudedave

GLS....oh god no! I did a search on them there...doesn't sound too promising!!!

I take it they don't deliver on Saturdays....(since most people have problems with them delivering even on weekdays!)

I rang Royal Mail and asked was it GLS, but they had no tracking number for GLS.
    When I rang GLS I was told that they couldnt tell me anything about packages without a tracking number.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

If you ring An Post and give them the tracking number, they should be able to tell you if that's a tracking number they handle, or if it goes to another company (GLS). I had this issue before, and as soon as I gave the guy on the phone to first 2 letters of the tracking number he told me that would be sent through GLS. Perhaps the person you spoke to on the phone didn't know so you could try again and see if you get someone more knowledgeable.

It could also be that the item simply hasn't been entered into the system yet too. Maybe wait till Monday and see does it show up, it might just.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,935 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

Sounds like the seller used Royal Mail International Signed For which does not track the delivery.

Royal Mail Airsure will track the delivery

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Stick the tracking number into the anpost tracking site and see what happens.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭StormWarrior

Sounds like the seller used Royal Mail International Signed For which does not track the delivery.

Are you sure? I sent something to America with international signed for a few weeks ago and it has a tracking number.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,935 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

Yes

http://www.royalmail.com/portal/rm/content3?mediaId=22700573&catId=400035
    RM wrote:
    We track International Signed For™ items up to the point they leave the UK and in some cases on arrival in the destination country.

Airsure

http://www.royalmail.com/portal/rm/content1?mediaId=22700571&catId=400034
    We track all Airsure® items until they leave the UK and then the item is handed over to the destination country's postal service as a priority item. In most circumstances you will also be able to get electronic confirmation of delivery

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

You can track uk tracking numbers on an posts tracking site once they arrive in Ireland.

Advertisement