Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brexit issues / bike24.com

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 45 macapaca

Plastik wrote: »

True - but Chain Reaction ships from UK and I suppose thats the open question here as to what rules apply its them.

I've a wheel set ordered from CRC - so that's a few quid - if the VAT and duties etc are going to be collected at delivery what options are there. Does it get retuned to sender if I've refused to take/sign for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,197 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

I have a Sigma Sports order on the way with DHL. Couldn't find a rear Shimano disc caliper on any EU site. Added in a set of tires to get the free shipping & was hoping it might sneak through before the deadline. Looking at 30€+ on that order so I'll be sticking to European sites if I get hit. I've even started using the French & German versions of Hot UK Deals

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,366 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

Planet X wrote: »

That's a kick in the balls my crc order may be refused as it exceeds the €150 sports equipment cut off. I'll be driving passed the store in Belfast next week wish they did a click and collect.

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭Kevincavan83

iwillhtfu wrote: »
    That's a kick in the balls my crc order may be refused as it exceeds the €150 sports equipment cut off. I'll be driving passed the store in Belfast next week wish they did a click and collect.

I ordered mine before 31st Dec so it should be exempt for any duty or VAT. If you bought something from an EU country at time of purchase they can't add it on when delivered

I ordered mine before 31st Dec so it should be exempt for any duty or VAT. If you bought something from an EU country at time of purchase they can't add it on when delivered

I bought mine on the 27th also so I guess all may not be lost. Still no sign of it on fastway tracker mind :rolleyes:

Any idea how to obtain that exemption thought?

macapaca wrote: »
    Any idea how to obtain that exemption thought?

I'm sure that if you can prove your purchase was before the UK left you should be ok

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,168 ✭✭✭secman

Is it not at point of entry from 1st January ? Revenue don't mention an order date , only mentions goods arriving from UK on or after 1st January ??

secman wrote: »
    Is it not at point of entry from 1st January ? Revenue don't mention an order date , only mentions goods arriving from UK on or after 1st January ??

Got this from chain reaction

UPDATE ON BREXIT AND YOUR ORDERS

As the UK Government has now approved the trade deal agreed with the EU - the terms within it will come into effect from 11pm on Thursday 31st December. This means there will be new regulations governing shipments between the United Kingdom and the EU, including the Republic of Ireland.

We would like to reassure you that we are working to minimise any disruption to customers, including:

• Ensuring no additional customs charges will be due as your order arrives in the Republic of Ireland, as all taxes and duties are already included in the price. The price you see is the price you will pay.

• Making sure any changes to normal delivery times will be transparent and shown throughout the check-out process.

• Where possible, providing a range of delivery options, although these may fluctuate whilst we work through any initial disruption.

• Keeping our current 365 day returns policy unchanged.

If you would like any further information, please view our delivery FAQs

We'd also like to take this opportunity to say thank you for continuing to shop with us at Chain Reaction Cycles.

Happy New Year.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,482 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

Doesn't tell us much other than CRC will include the applicable charges into the retail price of the item now - so everything goes up proportionally.

Same model Amazon are using, and at least it takes away the mystery for the consumer...along with the deal of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,030 ✭✭✭CheGuedara

I shot Bike24 an email a few days ago enquiring about when/if they'll resume sales to Ireland and got a reply today. Short story: temp COVID restrictions --> no shipping --> working to restore as soon as possible.

I think the best option for anything from them might be using a German reshipper address for the foreseeable somehow.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,457 ✭✭✭lennymc

update from wiggle:

UPDATE ON BREXIT AND YOUR WIGGLE ORDERS

As of 1 January 2021, new terms came into effect for the agreed trade deal between the UK Government and EU. This means there are new regulations governing shipments between the United Kingdom and the EU, including the Republic of Ireland.

We would like to reassure you that we are working to minimise any disruption to customers, including:
    All taxes and duties are already included in the price ensuring no additional customs charges when your order arrives in the Republic of Ireland. The price you see is the price you will pay.
    Any changes to normal delivery times will be transparent and clearly shown throughout the check-out process.
    Where possible, providing a range of delivery options. However, these may fluctuate as we work through any initial disruption.
    Ensuring our current 365 day returns policy remains unchanged.
    If you would like any further information on this, please view our Help Pages here

We look forward to helping you stay active in 2021.
    The Wiggle Team

• Registered Users Posts: 6,457 ✭✭✭lennymc

interesting experiment
    EU based delivery cannot currently buy bikes from wiggle (and i suspect CRC)
    I can add bike parts to my cart, and with a 10 spd tiagra cassette, was charged EUR 22.99. When I updated delivery to UK, it was shown as EUR 28.19

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,907 Mod ✭✭✭✭Planet X

A quick Google.

If you refuse to accept goods bought from UK at the door because the Import taxes etc etc are too much, apparently......apparently.......you can refuse to accept them and they will be returned to sender in 21 days......I assume for a total refund to yourself.

Talking to a CR guy on "eGain Chat" the other day and he hinted same, refuse to take them. They will be returned.

Anyone tried this?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,926 ✭✭✭letape

Thanks Plastik. Happy that it’s clear how vat at 21% is assessed.

The revenue.ie link above was last updated on 22 December, before the date of the trade agreement and is vague in terms of what import or customs duty is payable.

The section dealing with importation of cars was updated on 4 January and confirms that no customs duty is payable but vat at 21% is.

https://www.revenue.ie/en/importing-vehicles-duty-free-allowances/guide-to-vrt/registration-of-imported-used-vehicles/vehicles-imported-from-gb-and-ni.aspx

In terms of duty being payable on bicycles imported from the UK, my reading of this is that the rate applicable is 0%.

https://ec.europa.eu/taxation_customs/dds2/taric/measures.jsp?Lang=en&SimDate=20210106&Area=GB&MeasType=&StartPub=&EndPub=&MeasText=&GoodsText=&op=&Taric=8712003090&search_text=goods&textSearch=&LangDescr=en&OrderNum=&Regulation=&measStartDat=&measEndDat=

I do stand to be corrected as this is quite technical and difficult to find information on. It’s of particular interest to me as I’m in the process of buying a second hand bike from the UK.

Edit: country of origin is obviously also a factor -

The Brexit trade deal means that Goods “originating” in the EU-UK free trade area will not be subject to customs duties.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭peter kern

MojoMaker wrote: »
    Doesn't tell us much other than CRC will include the applicable charges into the retail price of the item now - so everything goes up proportionally.

Same model Amazon are using, and at least it takes away the mystery for the consumer...along with the deal of course.

given that the pound is projected to lose in value the deals are not really gone for bike parts outside the EU, as most are 4.7 % duty and could be even less depending from which country they come from.

for complete bikes that is a bit different with 14% duty but a frame is still 4.7 %

https://www.bike-eu.com/laws-regulations/artikel/2010/04/import-duties-on-non-eu-bicycles-1018983?_ga=2.149142707.441795343.1610012875-150293856.1610012875

• Registered Users Posts: 1,489 ✭✭✭hesker

That implies that even for low value items where no VAT or Custom charges are due An Post or courier can apply a handling charge. The example shows a €10 charge but notes it can vary.

I’ve bought quite a few items of low value from Aliexpress and never had a handling charge applied by An Post.

Anyone ever get charged for this?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,600 ✭✭✭muddypaws

I didn't realise that CRC had been bought out and ordered from them purely because they're in Northern Ireland. Got an e-mail to say my order was dispatched on 1st January, Fastway tracking number but it is still showing no scan, so I guess it's coming from GB. They're not responding to e-mails and live chat seems to have been turned off. Very frustrating

muddypaws wrote: »
    I didn't realise that CRC had been bought out and ordered from them purely because they're in Northern Ireland. Got an e-mail to say my order was dispatched on 1st January, Fastway tracking number but it is still showing no scan, so I guess it's coming from GB. They're not responding to e-mails and live chat seems to have been turned off. Very frustrating

Same here dispatched on the 27th but no sign of it or scan from fastway. Tomorrow is 10 days so have to fill in lost package report and await a refund. I'd say they just stalled all deliveries ordered around that time to see what charges were due.

I read a post by someone this morning that had gotten a parcel from DPD delivered only for the driver to return and ask for the parcel back as there was a customs bill outstanding on it.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,813 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

Where you get the lost parcel form iwillhtfu? I am in the same situation and have not come across yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭Max Q

Same situation for me. Order placed with CRC on 31st Dec, got a dispatch notification on Jan 2 and as of today it's still not had a scan with Fastway so assume it's stuck somewhere..

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,907 Mod ✭✭✭✭Planet X

iwillhtfu wrote: »
    Same here dispatched on the 27th but no sign of it or scan from fastway. Tomorrow is 10 days so have to fill in lost package report and await a refund. I'd say they just stalled all deliveries ordered around that time to see what charges were due.

I read a post by someone this morning that had gotten a parcel from DPD delivered only for the driver to return and ask for the parcel back as there was a customs bill outstanding on it.

Is 10 days the cut off when you can claim a refund from CR?
    Is that on their site?

eeeee wrote: »
    Where you get the lost parcel form iwillhtfu? I am in the same situation and have not come across yet.

I'm not sure myself, I was talking to one of the guys that works there and he said wait ten working days and then fill in the lost parcel form. I'll update tomorrow when I've been in touch with them again. A nuisance :rolleyes:

Planet X wrote: »
    Is 10 days the cut off when you can claim a refund from CR?
    Is that on their site?

Yep according to their FAQs although it doesn't specify a refund. I'll know more tomorrow hopefully. https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/ie/en/customer-service/order-problems#myorder

• Registered Users Posts: 6,867 ✭✭✭G1032

Max Q wrote: »
    Same situation for me. Order placed with CRC on 31st Dec, got a dispatch notification on Jan 2 and as of today it's still not had a scan with Fastway so assume it's stuck somewhere..

Same here. This is painful. Is VAT owed if it was ordered on Dec 31st?

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭Max Q

G1032 wrote: »
    Same here. This is painful. Is VAT owed if it was ordered on Dec 31st?

I'm hoping if the purchase was made before 23:59 on the 31st (while the UK was still in the EU transition period) that you'd be ok for VAT but if the goods are imported into Ireland after the 1st Jan, which they will be in this case, will duties be payable if above the thresholds?

• Advertisement

Similar to above. Order placed 28th. Dispatched Jan 2th. Fastway tracker number not showing up anything yet.
    Getting annoying now.

Advertisement