Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Clothing 101- recommendations

Comments

I can't comment on Galibier but I'm a big guy (6' 4" and 87kg) and large in Siroko fits me perfectly.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,858 ✭✭✭cletus

If it helps for comparison, I'm 6'1", and probably the same weight as dancinpants, and I take an XL in Galibier jerseys and jackets.

Having said that, I mostly went for the XL because of chest size. I'm a large in their shorts.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,629 ✭✭✭Wildly Boaring

More comparison if helps for bigger people. 6'3 and 100kg. Mega long arms, like 6' 6 or 6' 7 wingspan.

XL in galibier. There was one pair of shorts, regal I think, I was XXL. But other shorts and bottoms XL is perfect.

It's worth reading their clothing description on whether it's race fit or relaxed. For example the Mistral jacket is a little loose on me but I'm happy with it as I tend to wear it on really miserable days so relaxed fit is fine.

Might as well ask a question here myself.

I'm looking at Galibier's Energie 2 bib tights. I have a pair of their bib shorts, in large. It fits really well, but I'm concerned about the leg length.

I'm relatively tall, with a 34" leg, but there's no leg length measurements on the website, just waist, which puts me at a large

• Registered Users Posts: 848 ✭✭✭gn3dr

I only have their Mistral tights in large. I have a 32" leg. I take a large in their shorts.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 848 ✭✭✭gn3dr

Just the right length. for me. Usually will be wearing them with overshoes anyway. Last weekend I wore them outside the overshoes so that water would run down the outside rather than into the overshoes. The only thing about them is the ankle cuff is a little loose due to not elastic materials (windproof I assume) down there.

I'd say for a 34" leg they might be a bit short maybe in Large. If they had loops under the foot like Assos ones do that might be a different story.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,805 ✭✭✭Alkers

Anyone recommend a helmet for commuting year round? I have a MTB lid with removable chin guard but without being naff it looks odd on a spin into work. Similarly want to avoid a full on race style helmet either!

Comfort and protection also important, obviously!

I've them in XL and I have 34 inch leg (well 34 to 35) too. Fit me very well but do have a little bit extra length. I'm 100kg so need the XL.

I'd email and ask them....

• Registered Users Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

I'd agree with emailing them and asking them. I had the Mistral bib tights and found them a bit tight, I emailed before buying the Énergie ones and they said not to size up. They are my favourite tights too

• Advertisement

Thanks for the replies, folks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,161 ✭✭✭JMcL

Just ordered the Galibier as well, though it's worth noting that Merlin are having a big sale in Castelli at the minute (posted in the Bargain Alerts thread a couple of days ago - at the time they had a pretty much full selection of sizes in stock) should nothing less than a scorpion on the bottom do!

What's the sizing like in castelli. XL in galibier equals XXL or XXXL in castelli?

I would say 1 size up for castelli.

Galibier XL = xxl castelli

Cheers, looked at the sizing and went 2 up.

44 to 45 inch chest looked big for XXL.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,716 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

I have one of these, does the job and has a built in light - if you can wait, sign up for their mailing list and get it when it's on sale, often at half price.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,264 ✭✭✭Macy0161

I haven't really gone wrong on any site trusting the sizing chart (even Ali and DH Gate!).

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,234 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

ordered the galbier stuff (the grandtour sentinel jersey, and a pair of gloves) on thursday night, they've just arrived. the top is a perfect fit for me, but that's no use to you guys above as i'm an M in pretty much everything.

I emailed Galibier, and got a reply. The large in the Equipe tights is designed for 33/33 waist and leg. The XL is 34/34. They are also "high stretch" according to the reply, so if you're a 33" waist and don't have big legs*, then the large would be the best option.

*I can't quantify what might constitute big legs, but I'm a 33" waist, and closer to a 33" leg than a 34, so I'll order large. I'll post on here re. sizing once I order and receive them

Judging by how the XL fit me I have large legs. But then most 6' 3, 100kg fellas probably do, unless they're Johnny Bravo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,627 ✭✭✭✭dahat

5ft 11 & 100kgs and wearing large across all Galibier bibs. I like mine super tight though.

• Registered Users Posts: 678 ✭✭✭wheelo01

Not exactly a clothing recommendation needed, but what does everyone use for Chamois cream, and where are you getting it from?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,079 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

I wear a Galibier Mistral pro 2 jacket in an XL so what would be best size for there barrier base layer?

My other two current base layers are dhb Merino Long Sleeve in large and Föhn Merino Long in medium.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,783 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

I used to use Assos but more recently I've been using Muc Off's Luxury CC. I bought it because that was all my LBS had at the time but I really like the smell and have since bought more.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,627 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Veloskin Chamois cream. Changed from Assos a while back and find it a better product with less needed for same results. I get it via Amazon & the Mrs prime account to avoid charges from buying direct.

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭lissard

Assos Chamois cream - the clue is in the name ;-)

Vaseline

Is there a distance threshold above which people start using arse cream?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,705 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

More time and terrain for me. If I think I'll be on the road for more than 3 hours or gravel for more than 2, I'll use chamois cream. If I'm likely to be out for more than 6 hours, I'll stick the small spare tube in the saddle bag.

• Advertisement

Similar say 2, 2.5 hours. Lower end on wet cold days.

I do have one pair of very old shorts that i throw a bit on the chamois regardless. They should probably be in the bin but they're a great fit.

Advertisement