Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Interested in Japanese for JC/LC or GCSE/ALevel

• 27-10-2014 12:24am
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Hello!
    I'm 19 and I'm very interested in learning japanese, and getting qualifications with them. I live on the north/south border (Newry/Dundalk)and already have several GCSE's/ALevel's and would love to work my way up to getting a japanese one, because I'm so close to the south I could also do it for JC or LC.

The only problem is that I don't know how! So far I've been using Memrise and i've got a VERY basic understanding. I've done some online research and haven't been able to find anything so far. Any information will be helpful.

So my questions for you are:
    1) Is it possible?
    2) Where would I need to go? such as if I was to take an exam where usually would you do that?
    3) Are there any tutors around my area?
    4) How much will it cost?

Thank you! :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,164 ✭✭✭Konata

A school qualification in Japanese isn't going to count for much and is most likely more hassle than it's worth if you're not actually in school anymore and/or looking for the grades to get into university.

If you want a qualification in Japanese start studying for the JLPT (Japanese Language Proficiency Test). It takes place once a year in Dublin in December. All the info for the test is here. It's definitely what you should aim for rather than a school qualification though.

You can self-study obviously but you could also look for a tutor in your area. Is there anywhere nearby that runs Japanese language classes or anything?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,905 ✭✭✭Aard

The advantage of doing it for LC is that you might be able to attend free classes, most likely in Dublin. Otherwise it's not worth it, as Konata says. Better do self study if you're motivated enough.

Advertisement