Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

La Flamme Rouge **off topic discussion**

Options

Comments

On the disc wheels , I think it's more a factor on MTB's than road bikes but if using existing rotors you should double check compatibility before getting a new wheel.

• Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭MangleBadger

dahat wrote: »
    Level 5 extended until March 5th according to Twitter leaks. This is just depressing in regard to the 5km limit, surely solo exercise can be permitted.

Radio was on in the background during my physio appointment so not sure of the channel/show. But they read out a text saying the 5km was too lenient and should be brought back to 2km. First time I have heard that argument.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,421 ✭✭✭joey100

@Cramcycle, like others have said you buy seperately. Just check and see if the wheels you bought are centrelock or 6 bolt, both are the ways you secure the disc rotor to the wheel and you need to match the rotor to the wheel type.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,742 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

Attempt to calculate effects of use of active travel on greenhouse gas emissions:
    Daily mobility-related life cycle CO2 emissions were 3.2 kgCO2 per person, with car travel contributing 70% and cycling 1%. Cyclists had 84% lower life cycle CO2 emissions than non-cyclists. Life cycle CO2 emissions decreased by -14% per additional cycling trip and decreased by -62% for each avoided car trip. An average person who ‘shifted travel modes’ from car to bike decreased life cycle CO2 emissions by 3.2 kgCO2/day.
    https://www.researchsquare.com/article/rs-39219/v2

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,446 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Sold separately.

In saying that and not wanting to start something but I've got less braking performance on my disc braked bike than I did on my exalith braked bike
    I have found the same on the road. Also the lack of warning when they do wear through.
    joey100 wrote: »
    @Cramcycle, like others have said you buy seperately. Just check and see if the wheels you bought are centrelock or 6 bolt, both are the ways you secure the disc rotor to the wheel and you need to match the rotor to the wheel type.

Centre-lock disc mount. 6 bolt disc adaptors included. From the website, I presume that going straight for center lock rather than adding in an adaptor is better. Thanks for the help to a rim brake aficionado.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,708 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Should that not be low calorie beers? :confused:

Probably should be, though the problem with alcohol for me is it undermines my determination to keep away from other goodies in the snack cupboard of an evening. Also one or two low alchohol beers is plenty, one or two regular beers leads to one or two or three more ;) Loving the Lervig alcohol free grapefruit at the moment.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,708 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

I had a chat with my coach today, he's said if I want to fight I need to stop drinking and eat chicken and veg for the next 3 months.... sigh

Major night out on the lash afterwards makes it all worthwhile. Back when I was competitive I found Wim Demeere's book on nutrition for fighters to be excellent. Three months can feel like a very long time.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,429 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

smacl wrote: »
    Major night out on the lash afterwards makes it all worthwhile. Back when I was competitive I found Wim Demeere's book on nutrition for fighters to be excellent. Three months can feel like a very long time.

Have been on a bender since the last one ha. Just bought the kindle version of that book thanks.

Was in the shed this evening and seem to have lost the locking off my cassette ffs

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,852 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Sorry for tweet dumping but this is a positive step (then all we would need is for them to actually enforce it)...

https://twitter.com/ccferrie/status/1354728573710573568

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭NamelessPhil

Fancy being a citizen scientist and conducting a traffic count from your front room window? Follow the link www.telraam.net

There are a few of them around Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,854 ✭✭✭Rogue-Trooper

This video from 'It Could Be Me' in the States was made as they felt that some drivers have stopped seeing cyclists as human.

They say they are 'on a mission to change the current narrative and re-humanize cyclists and all vulnerable users of the road'

• Registered Users Posts: 3,121 ✭✭✭daragh_

Somebody robbed his water bottles. Bet it was yer man in the SUV.

eeeee wrote: »
    What?!!!! Is there gonna be a ban on car radios now? Are deaf people not allowed to cycle? Sake
    :rolleyes:
    On the contrary, driving is going to get more interesting...

https://twitter.com/OConnorOisin/status/1354758692873392128

• Registered Users Posts: 449 ✭✭RobbieMD

Thankfully drivers can’t play while the car is being driven.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,429 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

That's the same fella that was having a go at Gardai on twitter for stopping a lad from driving while stoned. Stating they shoud go after real criminals. His POV is usually somewhat skewed

• Registered Users Posts: 8,050 ✭✭✭buffalo

Sorry for tweet dumping but this is a positive step (then all we would need is for them to actually enforce it)...

https://twitter.com/ccferrie/status/1354728573710573568

It seems this is a move from clamping to on the spot fines that are easier and quicker to issue, and also don't result in a vehicle blocking a route (until owner returns, pays fine, clamper arrives and removes clamp).

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/consumer/motorists-in-dublin-city-could-face-fines-instead-of-clamping-1.4470366

Great observation from Christy Burke on doing less clamping, that we need to be careful not to be “putting extra money in the pocket of clampers”. :pac:

I could be completely wrong, so feel free to mock, but is the DCC clamping contract not a paid expense. So in theory they shouldn't get more money from clamping more, they are paid to do the job, much like speed vans. Or is it actually that bad that there is a paid incentive and I am a fool?

Personally, ticket wardens with access to the Gardai mobile app to check a reg, insurance, tax and whether it was ever a write off would be far easier, cheaper to do and far more effective. Just walk around, any car parked illegally, not only ticket but run it through the database and if its got any other issues, ring up Pearse St. and ask one of the beat cops to lift the driver as they return if possible, or tow and crush immediately, alongside fines to the last registered owner, or the scrap yard if they signed it off.

Christ on a bike, you could actually just have a camera vest mount with VPRN do it automatically for all cars in the city and highlight it to either the gardai or a private towing company who can recoup the cost from the fine if found to be valid.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,629 ✭✭✭Wildly Boaring

CramCycle wrote: »
    I could be completely wrong, so feel free to mock, but is the DCC clamping contract not a paid expense. So in theory they shouldn't get more money from clamping more, they are paid to do the job, much like speed vans. Or is it actually that bad that there is a paid incentive and I am a fool?

Personally, ticket wardens with access to the Gardai mobile app to check a reg, insurance, tax and whether it was ever a write off would be far easier, cheaper to do and far more effective. Just walk around, any car parked illegally, not only ticket but run it through the database and if its got any other issues, ring up Pearse St. and ask one of the beat cops to lift the driver as they return if possible, or tow and crush immediately, alongside fines to the last registered owner, or the scrap yard if they signed it off.

Christ on a bike, you could actually just have a camera vest mount with VPRN do it automatically for all cars in the city and highlight it to either the gardai or a private towing company who can recoup the cost from the fine if found to be valid.

In the uk they have private cars with reg recognition.

Park up at a busy spot.

Checks every car passing.
    Automatically issues fine / points for tax, insurance and MOT.

I bought a secondhand car over there. Drive it to site untaxed. All the boys on site were warning me that it'd get lifted if I drove the 2 hours home. They are that strict.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Recently, SDCC have added protected cycle lanes in the Templeogue area. While I personally don't really see any need for it, I'm sure there are plenty of cyclist who welcome the additions.

I've no problem with the protected lanes in general but I don't like the setup at the roundabouts - I'd sooner see the bollards removed and a broken white line replace the solid line.

Am I just being picky here?

SDCC promo video

• Advertisement

First of all, way better than anything there before but, and don't shoot me for saying it, the video itself highlighted the main issue (which I don't have a solution for off the top off my head that won't be shot down). At the roundabouts, the way the cyclist popped out, is the way I would as well, but I imagine, only confident cyclists are going to be able to manage that. I can see motorists ignoring cyclists indicating there if they are in the lane because they are segregated.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

CramCycle wrote: »
    First of all, way better than anything there before but, and don't shoot me for saying it, the video itself highlighted the main issue (which I don't have a solution for off the top off my head that won't be shot down). At the roundabouts, the way the cyclist popped out, is the way I would as well, but I imagine, only confident cyclists are going to be able to manage that. I can see motorists ignoring cyclists indicating there if they are in the lane because they are segregated.

I agree with you entirely and my issue is what's highlighted in bold - especially at the smaller roundabout at Templeville Road. Probably segregated too well!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,050 ✭✭✭buffalo

crosstownk wrote: »
    Recently, SDCC have added protected cycle lanes in the Templeogue area. While I personally don't really see any need for it, I'm sure there are plenty of cyclist who welcome the additions.

I've no problem with the protected lanes in general but I don't like the setup at the roundabouts - I'd sooner see the bollards removed and a broken white line replace the solid line.

Am I just being picky here?

SDCC promo video

You could probably take this to the 'Cycle infrastructure planned for south Dublin' thread.

First impression is not great - as Cram pointed out, as a driver I'd be expecting cyclists to stay behind the bollards, not pop out to cross the roundabout like the video shows. Either it's bad infrastructure, or the person isn't using it as designed.

The zebra crossings look better, in that you could stay protected and cross with the zebras until you got to your exit.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,718 ✭✭✭Large bottle small glass

buffalo wrote: »
    You could probably take this to the 'Cycle infrastructure planned for south Dublin' thread.

First impression is not great - as Cram pointed out, as a driver I'd be expecting cyclists to stay behind the bollards, not pop out to cross the roundabout like the video shows. Either it's bad infrastructure, or the person isn't using it as designed.

The zebra crossings look better, in that you could stay protected and cross with the zebras until you got to your exit.

The protected lane on roundabout is only for cyclists taking the first exit. A cyclist taking any other exit needs to take the driving lane well before entering the roundabout, a safe design would give them priority when doing so and making it really obvious to motorists.

Having cyclists out of the way and hidden until the major conflict point is not a good idea if the conflict point doesn't protect them.

The problem with any cycle infrastructure comes at junctions especially major ones. Sticking in protected lanes along straight sections of road is all dandy and looks great, but the major high risk areas are always junctions/roundabout etc.

Without a radical rethink on their design, and all that will go with that from other non cycling lobby groups, it is really hard to build safer cycling infrastructure where it matters most.

Experienced cyclists will adapt and figure it out it's the occasional cyclist who will struggle in these redesigns

• Registered Users Posts: 36,164 ✭✭✭✭ED E

buffalo wrote: »
    Either it's bad infrastructure, or the person isn't using it as designed.

Woeful infra.

Possibly it’s a late reaction to that poor woman crushed under a hgv nearly 4years ago there. Just at the roundabout at the end of that video at Templeville road / Whitehall road, but on the other side of the road. I see the inquest jury made recommendations re provision of cycle lanes.
    There was a really high concrete kerb and the path jutted out a bit. I was always on high alert there anyways. It was part of my cycle to school in secondary and then to work for years. I live around the corner and had collected my kids from school just before it happened.

https://www.google.ie/amp/s/www.thesun.ie/news/3077457/cyclist-died-collision-dublin-roundabout-inquest/amp/

The core problem is that the infrastructure for cyclists is designed by people who don't cycle and this design is done after the infrastructure for cars & trucks is done.
    The priority has always been to ensure that cars are able to move as freely as possible with minimum delay.
    It needs a whole new approach to infrastructure design by way of putting vulnerable users first.
    That roundabout above is a perfect example. For cyclists not taking a left, it has probably put them in a more dangerous position than had there been no bollards.

The core problem is that the infrastructure for cyclists is designed by people who don't cycle and this design is done after the infrastructure for cars & trucks is done.
    The priority has always been to ensure that cars are able to move as freely as possible with minimum delay.
    It needs a whole new approach to infrastructure design by way of putting vulnerable users first.
    That roundabout above is a perfect example. For cyclists not taking a left, it has probably put them in a more dangerous position than had there been no bollards.

To be fair they put in high ramps and then a few weeks later painted them in zebra stripes and put the flashing lights there. So now cars have to come to a very deliberate stop there, and can’t just blast through like before. I know from cycling it and driving it myself, the new design works better at that roundabout for cyclists. There used to be two lanes just at the entrance to the roundabout for cars. Now there’s only one, and the cycle lane is “protected” by the wands.
    Being cynical I also imagine SDCC just wanted to get something done re the inquest recommendations to tick a box somewhere.

But the protected cycle lane only offers protection if you're taking the left. If you're taking any other exit off the roundabout you're at a disadvantage now.

• Advertisement

But the protected cycle lane only offers protection if you're taking the left. If you're taking any other exit off the roundabout you're at a disadvantage now.

True but that’s the same for every roundabout. You’re always at the mercy of the driver being attentive, at least here now, the driver has to knock a lot of speed off before going off the ramp entering the roundabout. Not perfect by any means, but it means only one lane of motorists instead of two at the roundabout and lower speed. I’m reasonably happy with that.

Advertisement