Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Habitable room

• 12-08-2020 11:13am
    Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭

I am about to put for sale a 3 bed house with garage conversion to a kitchen dining room. It as sold to us as a lean too. I’ve engaged an architect for a compliance cert and he was happy enough but did say in report they the dining room floor to ceiling is under 8ft so Technically not habitable room. So do you think I will have issue. Otherwise house is in great condition I just need a four bed and extra bathrooms which is why I’m moving

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Housebuying

I am about to put for sale a 3 bed house with garage conversion to a kitchen dining room. It as sold to us as a lean too. I’ve engaged an architect for a compliance cert and he was happy enough but did say in report they the dining room floor to ceiling is under 8ft so Technically not habitable room. So do you think I will have issue. Otherwise house is in great condition I just need a four bed and extra bathrooms which is why I’m moving

Same as yourself I guess, sold as storage. I would get the EA to mention it to serious buyers. Save you going to contracts and it coming up as an issue. Attics are sold across the country as storage when they are clearly bedrooms with walk-in wardrobes and the likes

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,427 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Did you carry out the conversion or was the room there when you bought the house?

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭Littleredcar

It was already converted I did a bit of internal work

It was already converted I did a bit of internal work

Did you not get a certificate from the people you bought it from?

No bought as lean to

• Advertisement

No bought as lean to

So you converted it?

I’m confused now??,,,

No the sale papers instead of looking for planning said it was a lean too extension but it was a kitchen diner but it was in a bad Staten we insulated rewire put in new floors new roof new windows and a new kitchen

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,278 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Unless you comply with building regs- it doesn't matter how elaborate a refurb you did on it- its storage, full stop.

The compliance report says everything else fine but adds “technically” it’s not habitable as just short of 8 feet.
    If worse happens we would have to reroof or maybe if we took extra insulation out and had the ceiling redone we could do it

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,278 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

The compliance report says everything else fine but adds “technically” it’s not habitable as just short of 8 feet.
    If worse happens we would have to reroof or maybe if we took extra insulation out and had the ceiling redone we could do it

Most people will overlook the fact that it is classified as storage- and take it for what it is. You bought a 'lean-to' after-all? I wouldn't invest anything further in it- as frankly, you'll not get the money back. If a subsequent purchaser wants to regularise the situation- they will be aware of what they have to do. For now- I'd just proceed- with reasonable caveats regarding the status of the kitchen/diner to any prospective purchasers.

• Advertisement
Advertisement