Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Dublin stockists of historical minis (28mm)?

• 29-06-2020 9:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭

Anyone know of any stockists of historical minatures in Dublin? Gamers World on Jervis Street is, I understand, just doing Games Workshop product these days. Mark's Models do vehicle kits and the like, but no minis.

Actually, a steer towards any bricks n' mortar shop in or near Dublin that does non-GW 28mm stuff, whether historical, fantasy of sci-fi, would be most welcome. Variety is the spice of life (heresy in the Imperium!).

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Ancient gamer

I'm afraid Gamer's World is the only one I know of in the city. In the last 12 months they had Perry 28s (Medieval and Naps) and some bolt action stuff in stock, but now sold out I believe. They restock these items very irregularly.
    Across the river on James's street the model shop sells a lot of 1/72 and very occasionally the odd box of 28mm historicals. That's your lot I'm afraid!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭corwill

I'm afraid Gamer's World is the only one I know of in the city. In the last 12 months they had Perry 28s (Medieval and Naps) and some bolt action stuff in stock, but now sold out I believe. They restock these items very irregularly.
    Across the river on James's street the model shop sells a lot of 1/72 and very occasionally the odd box of 28mm historicals. That's your lot I'm afraid!

Online it is, so. I take it there's not much of a historical wargaming scene around, either?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭MarkHall

There's Some DBM players knocking about the city.

Best suggestion I have for finding players is contacting the IGA and see if they can point you in the right direction.

An the Wild Geese are good for the Historical wargames.

And Prince August have a range of Historical minis that may suit your needs. They are well worth a visit if you are ever around Cork.

Hopefully this helps you out.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Ancient gamer

Not sure if there are any historical players still in Gamers World or at the Thomas House games nights. I am strictly a home wargamer these days!

Thanks folks. I'm dipping my toe back in the water of mini.s after a quarter century, having been distracted by drink and girls once I got to an impressionable age.

Might give WH40K Kill Team a go, less potentially financially ruinous than full fat 40K. Skirmish are really all I'll have the time or the funds for, at this stage in life!

• Advertisement

corwill wrote: »
    Thanks folks.

Might give WH40K Kill Team a go, less potentially financially ruinous than full fat 40K. Skirmish are really all I'll have the time or the funds for, at this stage in life!

When the world reopens you're more than welcome to sample the universe of Battletech with our group some evening. You need nothing but your best set of dice. As we can provide all items for playing.

MarkHall wrote: »
    When the world reopens you're more than welcome to sample the universe of Battletech with our group some evening. You need nothing but your best set of dice. As we can provide all items for playing.

History is great and all, but who doesn't love giant war robots? Where is a good starting point to get a feel for lore, minis, painting guides, etc? Anytime I've done a quick Google, I've been a little bamboozled, seem to be a good few variants and what have you.

Battletech is full of the history.

We even have some Historical books dating back to the distance future of 2750

https://bg.battletech.com/new-to-the-board-game/
    couple of solid downloads there.

I'll pm you a link to some other bits if you want to read a little more of the fluff.
    The Quick start rules are a solid Starting point and the base ruleset just adds a little more detail.

MarkHall wrote: »
    Battletech is full of the history.

We even have some Historical books dating back to the distance future of 2750

https://bg.battletech.com/new-to-the-board-game/
    couple of solid downloads there.

I'll pm you a link to some other bits if you want to read a little more of the fluff.
    The Quick start rules are a solid Starting point and the base ruleset just adds a little more detail.

That would be great, thanks very much. If you can point me in the direction of minis also, that would be super, as a bit of painting cool stuff is my main focus in the short term.

Advertisement