Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Apartment in block with no management company and vacant lots

• 12-08-2020 10:16am
    Registered Users Posts: 12

I want to put an offer on an apartment which seems to suit my needs, however there are some issues.

It is in a block of 8 apartments, only 4 of which are occupied. The other four (on one side of the building) are owned by NAMA and have been vacant for a number of years. There is no management committee (although residents of the occupied apartments have organised bin collection between them). So this means any maintenance work would, for now, have to be carried out individually by myself.

The apartment itself is of a higher standard than anything I've seen so far for the price, and it's in a good area of the city suburbs. But I have misgivings regarding the vacant units and the lack of management committee. Can anyone give any advice, or think of questions I should be asking? They currently want a bit more money than I was hoping to spend, and I'm wondering if it's worth it.

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

In the absence of an OMC (assuming there is none), who is going to pay for any major maintenance works that will be required over the coming years?

Think along the lines of roof maintenance, painting the entire block, fire safety equipment etc...

An OMC would typically have a sinking fund built-up from a proportion of the owners annual fees to cover these items.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 157 ✭✭Liamo57

Is there Block Insurance or Public Liability Insur.? The maintenance of these properties into the future is the problem. Owners will not have surplus cash to keep the properties up to scratch and the NAMA properties will be given to those on the housing list. I would stay clear of this apartment.

• Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭JustMe,K

Do you mean there is no management committee or no management company? I would not buy an apartment without a management company in place.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 micromurph

JustMe,K wrote: »
    Do you mean there is no management committee or no management company?

I meant company. Thanks :)

How did NAMA not manage to sell those 4 off to a Housing Charity by now and if not done now they are the obvious Customer for those 4 apartments so you will get neighbours who may not be to your liking given those 4 apartments

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭Doop

Liamo57 wrote: »
    Is there Block Insurance or Public Liability Insur.? The maintenance of these properties into the future is the problem. NAMA properties will be given to those on the housing list. I would stay clear of this apartment.

Insurance is a big question here.

But I beg to differ on the NAMA properties being given to the housing list. Is NAMAs remit not to get the highest return for the tax payer... ie sell to the highest bidder?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,832 ✭✭✭daheff

run a mile.

your solicitor should be telling you this.

is this a purchase from Nama or a resident?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,503 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

First thing is that this is unmortgagable - have you the funds to purchase already?

daheff wrote: »

is this a purchase from Nama or a resident?

From a resident. The apartment was being rented out before now, but the owner has made a permanent move to the other side of the country (supposedly).

L1011 wrote: »
    First thing is that this is unmortgagable - have you the funds to purchase already?

How do you mean unmortgageable? I have mortgage approval, is this something the bank would go back on?

• Advertisement

Doop wrote: »
    Insurance is a big question here.

But I beg to differ on the NAMA properties being given to the housing list. Is NAMAs remit not to get the highest return for the tax payer... ie sell to the highest bidder?
    I expressed interest in a house in a ghost estate with NAMA and doggedly pursued it. I would have been paying more than NAMA eventually got from teh Housing Charity(according to property price register). The estate is now ruined and a ghetto.
    I sometimes wonder whether those staff I corresponded with in NAMA were negligent in their duties or doing me a favour without being able to tell me that they were doing me a favour in not allowing me to purchase there.

Mod Note

haphaphap, while there's an outside possibility the empty units could be acquired by a housing charity. There's no suggestion it's happening here so please don't derail the thread further now you've already mentioned it.

micromurph wrote: »
    How do you mean unmortgageable? I have mortgage approval, is this something the bank would go back on?

The bank may refuse to provide a mortgage for the specific apartment you're talking about primarily because of the lack of an OMC.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,832 ✭✭✭daheff

From a resident. The apartment was being rented out before now, but the owner has made a permanent move to the other side of the country (supposedly).

and question to think about....is the price too good to be true?

I doubt your bank will accept a mortgage on the property. the resident is probably selling below market price for the area (but not too much) to make it seem a reasonable sale.

Graham wrote: »
    Mod Note

haphaphap, while there's an outside possibility the empty units could be acquired by a housing charity. There's no suggestion it's happening here so please don't derail the thread further now you've already mentioned it.
    This is not de-railing the topic at all. They are candidate No.1 for purchase of multiple units in an existing development especially one where the Management Company is not live as they will take the steps to rectify this particular issue. 4 units is too small for a REIT, too much for a private investor.

Do you not agree that my contributions are 100% on topic.

daheff wrote: »
    and question to think about....is the price too good to be true?

I doubt your bank will accept a mortgage on the property. the resident is probably selling below market price for the area (but not too much) to make it seem a reasonable sale.

The advert was initially posted for a specific price, then taken down and posted for 10 grand more. They allegedly received an offer for the initial asking price, which was then withdrawn. I've offered 5 less than this, so 15 less than the current price on the advert, and they are now looking for the initial asking price (ie. what was already offered by someone else and then withdrawn).

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,503 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

It is exceptionally unlikely a bank would allow draw-down on this property, AIP or no AIP.

The title is going to be a major issue as ownership of the freehold will be highly questionable. The building is almost certainly uninsured and indeed uninsurable by you.

The risk to the bank is far too high.

It is exceptionally unlikely a bank would allow draw-down on this property, AIP or no AIP.

The title is going to be a major issue as ownership of the freehold will be highly questionable. The building is almost certainly uninsured and indeed uninsurable by you.

The risk to the bank is far too high.

Thanks, this is really helpful. I'll speak to the bank about my concerns.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,278 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

In addition- if there is no Management Company- and no returns filed with the CRO (so its struck off)- the apartments can legally have their title changed to the Minister for Finance (including the ones that are owner occupied) allowing the Minister to dispose of the entire development as he sees fit.

The Management Company can be reinstated- but its convoluted and expensive- but probably necessary at the same time.

Avoid- at any price.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,956 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

You are approved to borrow x amount of money on a apartment or house with good title.... having no management company means you will be responsible for thing outside your control like cost of a new roof... the bank probably won't lend on it. Check with your solicitor but it sounds like a cash only purchase or at least channanging.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

It is in a block of 8 apartments, only 4 of which are occupied. The other four (on one side of the building) are owned by NAMA and have been vacant for a number of years. There is no management committee (although residents of the occupied apartments have organised bin collection between them). So this means any maintenance work would, for now, have to be carried out individually by myself.
    How many of the top most apartments are occupied? I'd say there's no insurance, and thus if a section of roof came off, the owners may not have the cash to fix it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭chicorytip

Is your bank aware that there is no management company in place? It may not be a deal breaker in any event. Neither is block insurance or the lack of it. Many small complexes require little or no maintenance. It is more important to get your own private insurance cover to cover the contents and interior of your dwelling. Block insurance will not cover you in the event of, say, a faulty kitchen appliance causing a major fire.

chicorytip wrote: »
    Is your bank aware that there is no management company in place? It may not be a deal breaker in any event. Neither is block insurance or the lack of it. Many small complexes require little or no maintenance. It is more important to get your own private insurance cover to cover the contents and interior of your dwelling. Block insurance will not cover you in the event of, say, a faulty kitchen appliance causing a major fire.

No insurance on the secured asset (the physical apartment) is going to be a deal breaker.

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭sheepondrugs

what is your solicitor saying?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,016 ✭✭✭JJJackal

This property sounds unpurchasable at almost any price. Only way to buy is to buy all 8 at once!

No insurance on the secured asset (the physical apartment) is going to be a deal breaker.
    What if the purchaser were to arrange their own insurance cover for the apartment and it's contents only? I know this is possible to arrange even where no management company or block insurance exists. Would a lender look favourably at a loan application under those circumstances?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,849 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

What if the purchaser were to arrange their own insurance cover for the apartment and it's contents only? I know this is possible to arrange even where no management company or block insurance exists. Would a lender look favourably at a loan application under those circumstances?

The bank don't give a F what's inside the apartment, the owner of an apartment only owns the air inside the walls.

The OMC owns and insures the building, each apartment owner has a share in the OMC, and there's no way an individual owner will be able to get a policy for the block and you can't insure an individual unit in a complex.

If there's no OMC then along with no block insurance there's no public liability cover and that means that each owner would be liable for any injuries on site.

That doesn't insure the actual asset and is hence irrelevant to the lender.

The purchaser cannot insure the block on their own (even if they could afford it) as they won't have an insurable interest in most of it

Del2005 wrote: »
    The bank don't give a F what's inside the apartment, the owner of an apartment only owns the air inside the walls.

The OMC owns and insures the building, each apartment owner has a share in the OMC, and there's no way an individual owner will be able to get a policy for the block and you can't insure an individual unit in a complex.

If there's no OMC then along with no block insurance there's no public liability cover and that means that each owner would be liable for any injuries on site.
    You can get insurance for an individual unit in a complex where no management company is active. I know this because I have done so myself, without difficulty, living - as I have been for the past three years - in such a development.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭Hollybeg

OP...

Don't walk away... run. Buying an apartment is stressful enough but one without a management co? Don't waste any more time on this.

Advertisement