Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving abroad

• 12-08-2020 9:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8

Anyone bought a house and shifted to their native?
    The rent will repay the mortgage. Is it worth doing all the hassle?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 502 ✭✭✭fran38

mjshravan wrote: »
    Anyone bought a house and shifted to their native?
    The rent will repay the mortgage. Is it worth doing all the hassle?

What does that mean?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

Will the rent pay the mortgage once tax, voids and potential bad tenants are taken into account?

Will you be shifting back from your native?

• Registered Users Posts: 8 mjshravan

I am planning to buy an apartment in Dublin, live there until I'm in Dublin and move back to my native in 2 years time.

Considering the rental demand I am thinking to rent the apartment and handover to letting agent and move back to my native. I can visit occasionally once in a year to see the quality of apartment.

Is it worth taking all the hassles

• Administrators Posts: 53,283 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

For 2 years? No, just rent.

No sense tying yourself to an asset here if you are planning to leave in such a short period of time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭dennyk

move back to my native in 2 years time.

I think you accidentally a word there... :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Del Boy

I am planning to buy an apartment in Dublin, live there until I'm in Dublin and move back to my native in 2 years time.

Considering the rental demand I am thinking to rent the apartment and handover to letting agent and move back to my native. I can visit occasionally once in a year to see the quality of apartment.

Is it worth taking all the hassles

big taxes for non-residents on rentals. not worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭dennyk

Del Boy wrote: »
    big taxes for non-residents on rentals. not worth it.

The taxes are the same whether you're resident or not, and are often less in total for non-residents who have just one rental property and no other income that's taxable in Ireland, since that rent alone is unlikely to exceed the maximum threshold for the 20% tax band, whereas folks living and working in Ireland making more than €35k before rental income will be paying 40% on that net rental income. (It is a bit harder to evade that tax as an overseas landlord if your tenant is withholding the tax from their rent payment as they're supposed to be, of course, but I'm sure that's not what you meant...) Depending on what country you move to, you could be facing double taxation on that rental income if there's no tax treaty between them and Ireland that prevents it, however, which might ultimately make it not worth your while.

The main issue with being a nonresident landlord is the headache of managing the property in general. Unless you have a very trusted family member or something in Ireland who can take care of everything for you, you'll have to hire an agency to manage the property and handle finding tenants and arranging needed repairs and all, which will cut into your income a fair bit, and if anything goes wrong, you'd either have to hire a local solicitor to represent you in the resulting months or years of legal proceedings (at great cost to you) or make multiple trips back to Ireland to handle things yourself. It'd suck to lose out on a year or more of rent (plus potential property damage) due to an over-holding non-paying tenant and then have to spend thousands on a solicitor to represent you at all the proceedings required to carry out an eviction on top of that.

Advertisement