Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Would you keep it or not **trigger warning: sexual assault**

• 04-07-2020 9:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 259 ✭✭

I was having a hypothetical conversation with my friend. She told me about a movie where a woman was raped and had a kid with the rapist. I told her I’d have an abortion if a rape resulted in pregnancy and she said she would keep it because it would still be her baby...
    It got me thinking would you keep the baby or not if you got pregnant from a rape?

Would you keep a baby if you got pregnant from rape 25 votes

Yes
    84% 21 votes
    No
    16% 4 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,016 ✭✭✭Blush_01

I was having a hypothetical conversation with my friend. She told me about a movie where a woman was raped and had a kid with the rapist. I told her I’d have an abortion if a rape resulted in pregnancy and she said she would keep it because it would still be her baby...
    It got me thinking would you keep the baby or not if you got pregnant from a rape?

I think your thread title needs a content warning, to be fair.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭sullivlo

Mod note

Trigger warning added to thread

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

No chance - I'd be booking the abortion as soon as I saw two lines on a test. Two kids already, zero interest in a third and I'd rather not have the constant reminder of trauma. I'm also over 35, overweight and at risk of blood clots due to having had Covid-19 in March so that raises the stakes higher again.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

I've no idea to be honest. I've had a tubal ligation so chances of conception would be low anyway

I had complications on my third pregnancy, where I had to wait for amniocentesis to see if the foetus had a fatal anomaly. Early testing found there was a probability of a fatal syndrome. Waiting a month for more extensive tests was agonising. And during that time I realised I wanted to continue the pregnancy no matter what, even if the news was the worst possible news. This was during the referendum campaign, so we'd have had to travel but that wasn't a factor in my thoughts.

So while I might be able to say hypothetically what I'd do, I can't say for sure what would happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭Addle

It’s one of those things that I think no one really knows what they’d do until it happens to them. No way you can plan a reaction to that sort of atrocity.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 119 ✭✭8kczg9v0swrydm

Real life scenario:

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

If I got pregnant by having sex with my husband I’d have an abortion. I’ve moved on from that part of my life. Certainly wouldn’t keep a pregnancy caused by rape, would be unthinkable.

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Real life scenario:

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Lie Action? Seriously?

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭flowerchild

No - a baby is a baby and always precious to me, but I think all women should have a right to choose, free of judgement and financial cost.

Advertisement