Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Breaking news to someone that their history is a lie.

• 06-09-2019 11:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,033 ✭✭✭

OP has asked me to delete this but I think the conversation generated is very interesting, so to move it to a more hypothetical position.
    Almost every week now we hear of some family secret uncovered by a DNA test. Some of it is devastating, some of it a relief.

Does uncovering a secret from DNA have to be shared with the relevant people or should it be kept?

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,291 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

That's a tough one.

All I can think of is would it be possible to bring up the subject of DNA generally and see where that goes. Maybe there are examples from blogs you've read that you could tell him about. That general conversation might give you a sense of how he feels on the matter but also provide you with an avenue to discussing your own situation.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 13,981 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

Why would you tell him?

You seem to be concentrating on reasons NOT to tell him, what are your reasons TO tell him?

Based on what you have posted it is likely he would not believe it and then you and he have a problem for whatever time he has left.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,609 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

Good advice from Hermy there.

But as moderator, I want to point out that none of us are (openly) therapists and we can't give qualified advice here.

You know the man.
    Think about what he will gain or lose from it.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 6,033 ✭✭✭OU812

pinkypinky wrote: »
    Good advice from Hermy there.

But as moderator, I want to point out that none of us are (openly) therapists and we can't give qualified advice here.

You know the man.
    Think about what he will gain or lose from it.

Well the reason to tell him and what he’ll gain from it is he can perhaps let the grudge go and be more at peace with himself.

Of course there’s always the likelihood that it will cause a bigger issue for him.

Ok thanks folks.

Could someone delete this thread please?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,342 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Content snipped to protect the OP's original query.

The summary of Banie01's helpful post was "don't open the can of worms, discuss it later when the most relevant person is dead".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭mrslancaster

Content also snipped here for the same reason as above.

If the DNA revelation brings up a very close relative, does that make it more important to reveal the news?

Advertisement