Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Accounting Technician Apprenticeship

• 13-06-2018 12:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭

Hi all, I am looking for advise. I have been approved for the accounting technician apprenticeship and want it so bad. I have financially prepared for a lower salary for 2 years but do need to contribute something. At the moment I am unemployed and waiting to hear from employers. I have been told that if I don’t hear anything by end of August I have not been selected. Does anyone have any idea on the success rate? Should I be applying for other jobs just in case?? I need to generate some form of an income by mid September..

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭Vladi_

Dubh73 wrote: »
    Hi all, I am looking for advise. I have been approved for the accounting technician apprenticeship and want it so bad. I have financially prepared for a lower salary for 2 years but do need to contribute something. At the moment I am unemployed and waiting to hear from employers. I have been told that if I don’t hear anything by end of August I have not been selected. Does anyone have any idea on the success rate? Should I be applying for other jobs just in case?? I need to generate some form of an income by mid September..

Hey! Did you have an interview with the employer already? I had my phone interview 2 days ago and it went great. Basically I'm wondering about the same things as so so hopefully we get some answers. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭Dubh73

Best of luck I hope it goes well for your nope I haven’t heard a thing from anyone just that my details would be passed on.. o am older and have a Masters in a different field so I wonder would that have an impact, have to just wait and see. ☹️

Best of luck I hope it goes well for your nope I haven’t heard a thing from anyone just that my details would be passed on.. o am older and have a Masters in a different field so I wonder would that have an impact, have to just wait and see. ☹️

In my case it took 2 weeks between the application and the interview. I'm older as well. ;) best of luck to you too. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,279 ✭✭✭Garzard

I've had 4x interviews since June - two of these companies unfortunately decided not to offer a position and have been waiting to hear from the latter two firms for 2 weeks by now. Very tantalising.

Garzard wrote: »
    I've had 4x interviews since June - two of these companies unfortunately decided not to offer a position and have been waiting to hear from the latter two firms for 2 weeks by now. Very tantalising.

When did you apply? I got email that my application will be forwarded to employers 2 weeks ago and still nothing. :( Losing all hope already. What city did you apply for?
    Good luck with the other two! :)

• Advertisement

I would like to know if any employers in my area are interested in taking an apprentice I still haven’t heard anything from employers, I have to find employment soon and really don’t want to start a position and leave so soon. It would be great if we knew how many employers in the area are considering an apprentice and how many applications there are. Vladi you still haven’t heard anything???

I would like to know if any employers in my area are interested in taking an apprentice I still haven’t heard anything from employers, I have to find employment soon and really don’t want to start a position and leave so soon. It would be great if we knew how many employers in the area are considering an apprentice and how many applications there are. Vladi you still haven’t heard anything???

That would be great to know... I know that they are taking 20 in my area but no idea how many applicants.
    3 weeks ago I had my phone interview. I really thought it went great but never heard back from any employer. :(

Oh sorry to hear that it seems that we are in the same position now although I have yet to hear from an employer on any level. I would have thought city base would have a quicker turnaround.Garzard seems to be the only one that is a step closer. ☹️

Maybe I have the wrong impression about what they are looking for. :/ I was pretty confident it would be rather easy to get it in a smaller city. Or at least get an interview.
    I think you got me wrong before. Or I got you wrong. 😠I wasn't contacted by any employer yet.

Vladi_ wrote: »
    When did you apply? I got email that my application will be forwarded to employers 2 weeks ago and still nothing. :( Losing all hope already. What city did you apply for?
    Good luck with the other two! :)

Got the same email a few weeks ago asking if I'd received any offers yet; if not they'd resend my application among Batch 3. They did so but only one firm has come back with an interview - thought a few more would. Would be awfully disappointing to get no offers as I've worked hard on these interviews and I had to take days off work to attend them.

• Advertisement

While I was on my holidays actually the second firm I interviewed with emailed and said although they wouldn't be offering me a spot in their audit section, they said I presented well enough that they'd pass on my CV & application to their section that deals with insolvency / advisory / restructuring as there was apparently a position open there. They emailed back the following week that the manager of this section had changed their mind and unfortunately wouldn't be taking anyone. I felt a bit cheated there to be honest.

I get you, I'd feel the same. :/ Though I feel bad enough already because no one rang me and I really feel like this is something made for me and exactly what I want. :(
    I hope it will end good for all 3 of us.

Because of how long the process takes with apprenticeships, rejection causes more disappointment to people. I was optimistic about getting an offer in June because I had a good momentum going with passing the phone interview and then getting final approval the day after.

Because of how long the process takes with apprenticeships, rejection causes more disappointment to people. I was optimistic about getting an offer in June because I had a good momentum going with passing the phone interview and then getting final approval the day after.

Exactly the same here! :) It was going so good and quick and now it has just stopped. I was hoping that smaller cities will have less candidates than Dublin but it seems that that's not the case.

Exactly the same here! :) It was going so good and quick and now it has just stopped. I was hoping that smaller cities will have less candidates than Dublin but it seems that that's not the case.

Isn’t it strange how it’s the same for all of us although Garzard you did get a step closer and I can fully appreciate how gutted you must be feeling. I thought at least we would know if our name was sent to x any of people. I am in the Kilkenny Waterford area where are both of you? How did you find out there were 20 positions around you Vladi?

Yea, very frustrating. :/ Waterford. I've found an article in some news paper saying that it's 20 people in Waterford.

Maybe we've applied too late and most of the positions are gone already.

Would be nice to know if that is true! I am hopefully Kilkenny first and then Waterford would be great to see you at college Vladi as you can imagine when I live in Kilkenny and will be on apprentice money I am hoping not to have to travel daily 😊 where are you hoping for Garzard?

That would be amazing. :(
    I live in Dublin atm and I'm desperate to move to Waterford and this would be a perfect chance to move without having to be jobless for god knows how long and sort out my career and education at the same time.

• Advertisement

As I'm a Dubliner, I applied locally :) Your point Vlad about all the positions being filled; I wondered this myself but AFAIK the interviews weren't meant to start until May which is still fairly recent. I'm open to correction though on that! Any of you know when the applications were first opened? Also during a phone call with a woman from one of the firms recently, she commented that quite a number of people she'd already contacted for an interview were no longer pursuing their applications / weren't interested or weren't replying either way - a manager in another firm also confirmed this during another interview.

Applications were open in February. I don't know when did interviews start but hard to believe that people were waiting for 3 months. But not impossible. :/
    Well...that gives a tiny bit of hope. :D I don't know how did your employer interviews look like but I got the impression that they are looking for motivation and, even more, the ability and willingness to commit to the program which makes me think that a lot of people are not able to do. I've been asked twice in the phone interview do I realise that it's a 2 years program. Even though I said that myself already. 😂 Also I guess that not many people are willing or able to work for minimum wage for 2 years and people straight after school don't really know what they want.
    That's just me trying to make myself be positive because I really want it and really don't see myself getting it any more. 😂

On my Facebook page there's still the ad for the apprenticeship ''Applications now open'' :confused: I still haven't heard anything back from those interviews. I'm only in my early 20's but I've done possibly 40-50 job interviews in my life and I've still never gotten used to the whole thing of never hearing back or even going through an excellent, flawless interview and still being rejected for the job. I'm sure everyone's experienced this and they're two nasty facts about job hunting.

I'm still seeing the ad on Facebook every day too. :/
    I'm still relatively new to Ireland (2,5 years) and job interviews as they basically don't exist in my native country. 😂 But this one is the most frustrating so far because I want it so bad.
    Let's keep each other updated with any news we get and good luck to us! :)

i have foolishly put off looking for employment as I thought the process would move faster and I would be leaving any job I did find. I have worked here all my life and have been unemployed for the first time ever since February. There seems to be a new trend in the job sector of recruitment companies advertising jobs just to fill their databases with people ie they have not been asked to recruit on behalf of the company and also no follow up with feedback, in fact the process has lost a lot of the professionalism it is looking from employees

Oh yeah, I gave up on recruitment agencies long time ago. I never ever got any feedback or reply from them and I've applied to so many. But starting from scratch is a different story because my experience from Croatia is not relevant at all here.

I have a friend that is far more qualified than the job she is doing but same situation as you it’s veey disheartening. Also here they don’t seem to appreciate transferable skills like the UK do, jobs are very specific industry like for like.

Guys just thinking when does college start? If it isn’t until end of sept does that mean a future employer wouldn’t take us on until then???

Guys just thinking when does college start? If it isn’t until end of sept does that mean a future employer wouldn’t take us on until then???

All my interviewers gave me a figure of mid-late September although it says somewhere in the AT Apprenticeship site that if we don't receive any offers by the end of August then we've failed to make it into the programme. Apparently no decision has been reached as to what day of the week will be the study day - was discussing this with some of my interviewers and it'll be either Monday or Friday. They all said Friday carries the most risk with regard to students attending.

• Advertisement

Would be interested to know how many applied to this - a former colleague of mine told me it was over 3,000(?) but apprenticeships do tend to attract a ridiculous number of applications for so few places.

Advertisement