Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

“The Book People” Clearance sale plus extra 35% off code

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Capet

2nd of march. They emailed me last week to say the order, apart from one book, was dispatched. Received it today

• Registered Users Posts: 30 traceystacey

I ordered on the 1st of March and received my order this morning via GLS

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭in2dark

I ordered on the 4th
    I emailed them twice. Never got any answer back.
    I called them 3 times. They said on the phone they will email the warehouse to prioritise my order...

Eventually today i got 2 out of the 3 boxes. The other one in theory will come tomorrow.

On the phone they told me they dont even check the emails...

• Registered Users Posts: 955 ✭✭✭devil-80

I ordered 3 march and didnt received anything only email which could be sent to anybody.Chargeback requested from Revolut so either get books or money from Visa if they dont give good explenation for this very long delay.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,347 ✭✭✭Rackstar

devil-80 wrote: »
    I ordered 3 march and didnt received anything only email which could be sent to anybody.Chargeback requested from Revolut so either get books or money from Visa if they dont give good explenation for this very long delay.

Surely the pandemic is as good an explanation as any?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭silver2020

1 Pandemic

2 HUGE volume of orders

3 Notification that it is taking 7 weeks for dispatch

so, they are a few days late and you've rushed for a chargeback?

Suppose if you get delivery and chargeback you'll keep both.

4 weeks was promise to me when ive placed order then 7 weeks thats gone and nothing so couldn't t wait longer revolut have only 45days for it. Not going to keep it if i ever get the books and if you want to wait for it till christmas like for money back from Ryanair that's your choice. In my opinion if they couldn deliver books in promised time they should cancel order simple as that.
    silver2020 wrote: »
    1 Pandemic

2 HUGE volume of orders

3 Notification that it is taking 7 weeks for dispatch

so, they are a few days late and you've rushed for a chargeback?

Suppose if you get delivery and chargeback you'll keep both.

4 weeks was promise to me when ive placed order then 7 weeks thats gone and nothing so couldn't t wait longer revolut have only 45days for it. Not going to keep it if i ever get the books and if you want to wait for it till christmas like for money back from Ryanair that's your choice. In my opinion if they couldn deliver books in promised time they should cancel order simple as that.

Christmas is a utterly wild exaggeration and what on earth does a book shop have to do with Ryanair?

45 days must be some rule of revolut as both mastercard and visa offer 540 days and once one of those symbols are on it, it is the mastercard or visa chargeback you apply on.

You may be mixing it up with a sepa direct debit or something else unless revolut have dodgy practices.

The 7 weeks notification was put up on March 5th as that when i made a second order. Then oyu had the coronavirus issue that is causing further delays.

Yes, it would be helpful if they put a note on their website, but as was mentioned by others, this is an administration process operated by a reputable accountancy firm, so I certainly have no worries whatsoever

Dont know where did you find so many days where max is 120 days or 180 for chargeback and this timeframes are vary.
    https://blog.revolut.com/what-is-a-chargeback/
    Anyway its my money and my decision so i did whatever i thought is the best for me to keep my mone safe in case if books never arrive and my timeframe will be gone.

Dont know where did you find so many days where max is 120 days or 180 for chargeback and this timeframes are vary.
    https://blog.revolut.com/what-is-a-chargeback/
    Anyway its my money and my decision so i did whatever i thought is the best for me to keep my mone safe in case if books never arrive and my timeframe will be gone.
    Its sort of off topic, but maybe good for you to know in future.

That link states clearly that it is 120 days from the agreed delivery date of your goods (this is then subject to an overall limit of 540 days). So if you bought concert tickets last May for a concert this week and it was cancelled, you would have until the end of August to commence a chargeback. That over a year since the transaction but within 120 days of the "delivery date"

Same with this or any retail transaction. Its 120 days (4 months) from the expected date of delivery.

Its the merchant (retailer) who has 45 days to respond.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭Pique

I received a reply from an email I sent a few weeks back asking for an update.
    My orders were on 3rd and 6th March.
    Thank you for getting in touch with us at The Book People.

Please accept our apologies for the delay in despatching your orders. We would like to reassure you that all orders are being fulfilled. However due to unprecedented circumstances and high demand due to our clearance sales, standard orders are currently longer than usual to be despatched.

Your orders have been processed and are due to be despatched shortly. Once an order has been despatched you will receive an email to confirm your order is on the way and this email will also include a tracking link so you can follow the progress of the parcel with our courier.

Please accept our apologies for the inconvenience caused. If you have any further questions, enquiries or feedback, please contact us. We’re happy to help.

Kind regards,

Gareth Phillips

Customer Services Team

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭Thewife

I spoke with someone on the phone last week and they did inform me that anyone who wanted to cancel the order could and would refunded but I’ve waited this long I decided to wait another while . Maybe if you keep trying the phone number you will eventually get through and request a refund .

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭in2dark

Finally the third part of my order was delivered today.

I want to emphasise that calling them unlocked my dispatch.

Once again thanks OP for the bargain. 127 books for 80 euros including shipping was great bargain.

Waiting for so long was not good or smtg i would recommend.

I was about to go for refund, just called them and hoped that would help.

Best of luck everyone

• Registered Users Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭Hococop

Don't mind waiting as I'm not in a rush, Hopefully we will see ours processing soon

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭thegreatescape

No longer taking orders according to their website.

No longer taking orders according to their website.

They stopped taking orders about 3 weeks ago.

edit - rang them earlier. Very pleasant girl, she was working from home and sounded very tired. I told her i understood fully the frustration and probably people blaming her. She got a laugh out of that - apologised profusely for the delay, said they have over 70,000 orders still in the backlog and are processing about 5,000 a day. She said mine was still in the queue but its in the top part now and would expect to go out early next week.

I ordered 5th March.

If you are calling, have the customer number ready as that's what they use for checking.

But with schools unlikely to be open before September, the new books will be welcome whenever they arrive.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,596 ✭✭✭Cape Clear

silver2020 wrote: »
    They stopped taking orders about 3 weeks ago.
    Haven't the time with all the emails they are getting from impatient Paddies.

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭Toastytoes

Cape Clear wrote: »
    Haven't the time with all the emails they are getting from impatient Paddies.

I know it’s lockdown for some but surely you could find something more productive to do with your time?

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭JimmyAlfonso

Toastytoes wrote: »
    I know it’s lockdown for some but surely you could find something more productive to do with your time?

I think it's a reasonable comment. People bought books for pennies in the pound and some expect 5 star service despite the company closing and the world going to pot since 2/3rd March. :rolleyes:

I think it's a reasonable comment. People bought books for pennies in the pound and some expect 5 star service despite the company closing and the world going to pot since 2/3rd March. :rolleyes:

Maybe it would be if this was AH, I thought casual racism wasn’t considered a basis of reasonable commenting outside of that but it takes all kinds I guess....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 826 ✭✭✭DublinCJM

Good to see these are getting delivered.

I ordered on 3rd March myself.

I emailed them today to see if I could change the delivery address as I'm now not in work, and there's nobody there to take it in.

Did people get an email to say it's dispatched, as was there any way to contact the delivery company to change delivery address.

Thanks in advance.

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭Corvus Libros

It's reasonable to expect them to fulfil orders in the quoted time or else inform the buyers about further delays. The quote at time of order was 4 weeks. There was no email to say it had been extended to 7 weeks. And the 7 weeks has now passed. Other companies are managing to do business and keep customers informed. If they can take your money, the least they can do is send a mass email to buyers with open orders.

It's reasonable to expect them to fulfil orders in the quoted time or else inform the buyers about further delays. The quote at time of order was 4 weeks. There was no email to say it had been extended to 7 weeks. And the 7 weeks has now passed. Other companies are managing to do business and keep customers informed. If they can take your money, the least they can do is send a mass email to buyers with open orders.

There are other very simple options

1 - go to their website and you will see they are quoting 7 weeks.

2 - check your order confirmation email, give them a call, have your customer number ready and they'll give you an update. - I was waiting less than a minute to be answered and given an update (see above)

Toastytoes wrote: »
    Maybe it would be if this was AH, I thought casual racism wasn’t considered a basis of reasonable commenting outside of that but it takes all kinds I guess....
    No racism here boss.

There is an inherent risk buying from most companies that risk is increased when the company is in difficulty. Buyer beware

Cape Clear wrote: »
    No racism here boss.

Just ignorance so is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,314 ✭✭✭Brego888

This thread is hilarious. Company essentially out of business and administrators are fulfilling previously agreed deliveries during a pandemic and people are crying that their books are late.

I ordered on the 6th of March and I'm willing to cut them a bit of slack and be patient.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭robfahy

I ordered 3rd March to Parcel Motel. They arrived at Parcel Motel depot today. I did receive an email from the Book People and Hermes a few days ago when they were dispatched.

• Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭Sixtoes

I spoke to them on the phone today. Very nice staff. Couldn’t say when my order would arrive, but said they are fulfilling all orders. Warehouse expected to be empty by 15th May. So worst case - 3 more weeks.

• Advertisement

Brego888 wrote: »
    This thread is hilarious. Company essentially out of business and administrators are fulfilling previously agreed deliveries during a pandemic and people are crying that their books are late.

I ordered on the 6th of March and I'm willing to cut them a bit of slack and be patient.

People seem to be just looking for some communication from what I can see. Would a generic email advising of delays be too much to ask for? No one is asking for a personal visit or even a call. The administrators are a professionals and they should have no issue managing the situation, that’s what the do day in day out. It’s not like they are doing it as a favour.

Advertisement