Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

4k Fire TV stick - PLEASE READ OP BEFORE ASKING QUESTIONS

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,815 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

OmegaGene wrote:
    Getflix is great I’ve been with them for 2 years without a hitch

I've had it 2 years or so. I could only use it on mobile devices until recently. Smart TV & Virgin router wouldn't let me set DNS. Virgin router started acting up recently on WIFI so bought Google Wi-Fi. This let me set the DNS. I now have all my US stuff like HULU & HBO running alongside UK iplayer hub etc without having to switch a VPN on & off. The 2 year plan is a bargain

• Registered Users Posts: 10 EDEB1305

kaerobe wrote: »
    Can sideload RTE player.

How do you do this?? Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭holidaysong

Do I need to change my billing address to UK in order to use VPN On BBC iPlayer, ITV Hub etc.

I have a VPN already, but have no interest in Amazon Prime.

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭okla

For RTE player the last 3 posts here explain how to install. It works a treat and the best part is there's no ads

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=112155555

• Registered Users Posts: 1,320 ✭✭✭BBMcQ

For Amazon Prime I just got into Amazon chat and they fixed it instantly. I wasn’t asked where I was or anything. They just flicked a switch.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,867 ✭✭✭bittihuduga

OmegaGene wrote: »
    Virgin are a pain in the hoop alright, I find getflix smart dns better than a vpn as it’s harder for iplayer etc to detect
    Setting the dns on the router is handy but some people think it’s risky running all your traffic through getflix but I’ve never had an issue

can you set dns on virgin media router? i thought you couldn't.

can you set dns on virgin media router? i thought you couldn't.

I wasn't able to for years until I added Google wi-fi

• Registered Users Posts: 1,635 ✭✭✭torrevieja

For anyone on the fence, these are fantastic. They've revolutionized my TV viewing. You can use them for the following:

Netflix
    Prime Video
    BBC iPlayer
    Channel 4 player
    Channel 5 player
    ITV player
    YouTube

Obviously some of the above will require a VPN to access but that's easy to setup and use. I haven't used my Chromecast in a very long time.

i cant get BBC iplayer to work here im using vpn

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Poolboy19

torrevieja wrote: »
    i cant get BBC iplayer to work here im using vpn

Try using your VPN and watching BBC iPlayer through Firefox, it's the only way I can watch it with fire stick

• Registered Users Posts: 859 ✭✭✭PeterDuggan

Can this stick play movies stored on a networked pc? Do it have Kodi? Thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,315 ✭✭✭fergiesfolly

Can this stick play movies stored on a networked pc? Do it have Kodi? Thanks.

I don't have Kodi on mine, but I've seen YouTube videos where it's installed.
    Honestly, most the questions asked here would be answered in Google and YouTube. It's where I got all my info and was fairly straightforward.

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭Apt8

It’s pot luck with them on chat tbh some people have had to make numerous attempts and others get lucky like yourself

If you go on after 10pm or before 7am you have better luck because that's when the Cork and Edinburgh sites are closed. Reps in other sites are more agreeable because they want a positive survey.

• Registered Users Posts: 859 ✭✭✭PeterDuggan

Has anyone specific experience that it can play movies stored on a networked pc please?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,449 ✭✭✭blastman

Has anyone specific experience that it can play movies stored on a networked pc please?

You can do this with Plex

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭normanbond

I bought a ROKU streaming stick on Amazon black friday for £30
    Anyone got tips or a link to help me load apps?
    Tnx

• Registered Users Posts: 891 ✭✭✭NyOmnishambles

A few options have been mentioned above, another I have used is to install Kodi, it works just fine for that and other purposes

I will throw up a link to a tutorial later as it has a handy method of side loading apps

But Plex mentioned above is a very good option

• Registered Users Posts: 34 Kav_Piero

Anyone know if it’s possible to side load the Now Tv App on the Firestick?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,924 ✭✭✭Nforce

Possible to do this too using ES File Explorer on the FireStick. You don't have a nice GUI ,however, if that is of concern

• Registered Users Posts: 7,066 ✭✭✭MarkY91

All this VPN, specific apps, playing movies etc..just get yourselves and android box

• Registered Users Posts: 7,066 ✭✭✭MarkY91

Why bother when this does the same thing ?
    I have the nvidia shield and the 4k stick and there’s feck all difference tbh

They could download stuff from the app store instead of having to ask here how to sideload apps???

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 891 ✭✭✭NyOmnishambles

A few options have been mentioned above, another I have used is to install Kodi, it works just fine for that and other purposes

I will throw up a link to a tutorial later as it has a handy method of side loading apps

But Plex mentioned above is a very good option

As mentioned earlier

An easy method to get Kodi on the firestick

https://troypoint.com/how-to-install-kodi-on-fire-tv/

• Registered Users Posts: 23,797 ✭✭✭✭mailburner

Why bother when this does the same thing ?
    I have the nvidia shield and the 4k stick and there’s feck all difference tbh

agreed

I have both also

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭2PLUS2EQUALS10

Had the 4K stick months it’s never let me down!

It also works well if you open it up to it’s full potential, if you know what I mean.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,945 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

This is by far the easiest way to side load any app you want onto the firestick/firetv. You just install what you want on your phone and then use this app to push it to the firestick. Takes 10 seconds to do with any app after the initial setup which is easy.
    If you need help setting it up, just consult youtube.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=mobi.koni.appstofiretv&hl=en_IE

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭fawlty towers

For anyone on the fence, these are fantastic. They've revolutionized my TV viewing. You can use them for the following:

Netflix
    Prime Video
    BBC iPlayer
    Channel 4 player
    Channel 5 player
    ITV player
    YouTube

Obviously some of the above will require a VPN to access but that's easy to setup and use. I haven't used my Chromecast in a very long time.

If you don't mind me asking. What VPN are you using

If you don't mind me asking. What VPN are you using

Getflix https://www.getflix.com.au/ Will get you all of the above without need for VPN. Express VPN is still the best but also one of the most expensive

I have Getflix setup on my router so any device on my WiFi can get Disney plus, US Netflix, Hulu, Iplayer, Prime Video , UK Now TV etc. Been using it two years now without fail

• Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭holidaysong

I cannot install BBC iplayer, ITV hub, etc. from the app store on my Firestick even with a UK VPN.

Is this normal and requires just having to side load these from APK version?

• Registered Users Posts: 381 ✭✭_John C

I cannot install BBC iplayer, ITV hub, etc. from the app store on my Firestick even with a UK VPN.

Set you default amazon address to a uk address. Set your device location to the uk. Both of these settings can be found in your amazon account through a web browser. Reboot firestick. Then the uk apps will be available. Download whatever apps you want (BBC iPlayer, ITV Hub, My5, UKTV Play). Change back the amazon address and device location. Your done. The apps you downloaded will always be available to you later without changing these settings again, even if you buy more firesticks, youll be able to download the uk apps without changing address and location settings as they will be added to your amazon account for easy downloading whenever you need to.

Pity RTE and VM wont release their apps for download through the amazon app store. Would be so much easier.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Install them to your phone and then use apps2fire to send them to the stick.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 381 ✭✭_John C

McMurphy wrote: »
    Install them to your phone and then use apps2fire to send them to the stick.

Better to use versions from the amazon app store as there for Android TV which works without the need to use pointers. And they will also receive updates as needed. And once downloaded to your amazon account, you can reinstall whenever you want .

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement