Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Dublin Coach Experience

Comments

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

On a coach to Dublin recently, we got into a tight squeeze on Main St in Abbeyfeale (why parking is allowed on both sides is beyond me).

Driver clipped the mirror of a parked car. He immediately stopped, hopped out, took a few photos and left a note on the windscreen before carrying on.

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭mickmmc

https://www.flickr.com/photos/alanhughes/37497709746/in/faves-78398044@

A photo of a new model Tourismo in Dublin Coach green at NEC Bus & Coach show 2017 in Birmingham. Is that coach destined for Dublin Coach?

Will the window glass crack if the mirror is broken off on that coach?

Any update on the status of the 30 new Tourismos mentioned above in this thread?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,196 ✭✭✭boardsuser1

mickmmc wrote: »

A photo of a new model Tourismo in Dublin Coach green at NEC Bus & Coach show 2017 in Birmingham. Is that coach destined for Dublin Coach?

Any update on the status of the 30 new Tourismos mentioned above in this thread?

I cringe at the neglect that coach will suffer in the hands of DC.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,582 Mod ✭✭✭✭devnull

mickmmc wrote: »

I really think that the Mercedes Tourismo is a nice coach, but I have to say, looking at that picture I think the new model isn't so nice, looks a bit chunky at the front-end and I'd question the mirror set-up as well, but obviously I'd need to see it in person to get a better idea of how that setup is, and the changes inside and out.

I'm not sure it's for Dublin Coach however, there is a picture of a new coach on the Dublin Coach Facebook and it's the current generation Tourismo rather than the new one, can't see the registration of it but it has a white LED display, so it's for sure brand new as all the coaches delivered to date are Orange.

22007348_1495565167192119_4344626870838264587_n.png?oh=7a8b8898f8dcd8b4dfb37295f6148c13&oe=5A7F718E

Alternatively, perhaps they are getting a mixture of old and new?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,553 ✭✭✭✭Copper_pipe

I’ve noticed some mornings that they have 2 buses in the mornings to accommodate the 10 journey students to UL.

1 bus goes from Tralee/Killarney to UL and the other goes all the way to Dublin

• Advertisement

I’ve noticed some mornings that they have 2 buses in the mornings to accommodate the 10 journey students to UL.

1 bus goes from Tralee/Killarney to UL and the other goes all the way to Dublin

Driving from Limerick to Tralee yesterday evening around 7pm, I passed a DC double decker coming against me near Rathkeale and maybe half an hour later, two standard DC coaches one after the other.

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭belfast stephen

the green Mercedes-Benz coach at the NEC is a Mercedes-Benz Demo coach and not for Dublin coach the new Mercedes-Benz Tourismo do have White DMD fitted

Dublin Coach is a private company and there's plenty of well-earned bashing of it in this thread. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭Tickityboo

Quackster wrote: »
    Dublin Coach is a private company and there's plenty of well-earned bashing of it in this thread. :rolleyes:

Here's one I was behind on the Curragh about a half hour ago.

Tickityboo wrote: »

Will those pr1cks ever maintain their fcuking fleet :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,094 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

You have to laugh at their slogan.

"Quality in transport"

Yeah, quality if you're comparing to to horse and cart!

JCX BXC wrote: »
    You have to laugh at their slogan.

"Quality in transport"

Yeah, quality if you're comparing to to horse and cart!

If i decked out my trailer with seats you'd have a more luxurious ride than in some of their fleet,the Setra's especially.

Looks to be one of the 'new' 2009 Vanhools that joined the fleet a few weeks ago, I presume to replace some of those 2004 Neoplan deckers which were increasingly unreliable.

devnull wrote: »
    Looks to be one of the 'new' 2009 Vanhools that joined the fleet a few weeks ago, I presume to replace some of those 2004 Neoplan deckers which were increasingly unreliable.

Looks like an over decker itself given the height of it.

Do they paint them luminous to save on fixed bulbs or what?

Sometimes i think to myself, thank god i am gone out of that industry when i see how bad DC are.

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭Tickityboo

It was a 2009 reg alright

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭TallGlass

Like there's low cost. Then there is just dodge. Ryanair are low cost and still have a modern fleet. Low cost prices are no excuse for a poor/poorly maintained fleet.

Whatever about customer comfort and what not. But when it's down right poor servicing and maintenance of buses that starts effecting other road users then that's a different more serious story. We shouldn't be seeing professional drivers or HGVs/buses going around without the basics like working lights.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Now I'm one for lights but them vanhools are lit like a Christmas tree and love the led set up.

I would say a fuse or wiring issue as all out on one side.

That could happen at any time but if its going out of the yard at 1st bus check then there are huge problems.

I've seen many with no brake lights and left for long time.

It was a 2009 reg alright

You’d think as ‘Dublin Coach’ they’d keep the fleet registered the same, most of the fleet is Kildare registered, I assume they are registered to John O’Sullivan’s house rather than the business in Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,377 ✭✭✭✭road_high

TallGlass wrote: »
    Like there's low cost. Then there is just dodge. Ryanair are low cost and still have a modern fleet. Low cost prices are no excuse for a poor/poorly maintained fleet.

Whatever about customer comfort and what not. But when it's down right poor servicing and maintenance of buses that starts effecting other road users then that's a different more serious story. We shouldn't be seeing professional drivers or HGVs/buses going around without the basics like working lights.

Not very appealing buses. Do little to entice me out of the car on regular Kilkenny-Dublin hops. Also, the Red Cow Luas stop was very disorganized. Not sure if it's still the same, but I remember being dropped there on a cold winter night (despite paying for city centre ticket) with scant directions given in broken English to the next Limerick bus (basically doubling up to save cash I assume) going to the CC.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭brokenarms

In all fairness. That bulb could have blown after its daily check.

brokenarms wrote: »
    In all fairness. That bulb could have blown after its daily check.

You could be right, however it looks like more than one is gone.

I was a stickler for that kind of stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Kopparberg Strawberry and Lime

You could be right, however it looks like more than one is gone.

I was a stickler for that kind of stuff.

Led rear lights plus the marker on top left gone too

Not just a bulb blown, electrical issue.... Be long time waiting for a fix....

Led rear lights plus the marker on top left gone too

Not just a bulb blown, electrical issue.... Be long time waiting for a fix....

Are you still with DB?

What are they like for maintenance?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,177 ✭✭✭PeterParker957

I had the misfortune to have to get the Dublin Coach from Portlaoise to the Airport the other Sunday at 3.30am.

Never ever again!!!!

I'll be getting up a bit earlier and getting the 2.50am JJ Kavanagh's. I don't mind a bit of craic but they could see and hear widespread antisocial behaviour and did nothing!

This doesn’t surprise me in the slightest.

Hope all passengers are ok.

On the Dublin -Cork journey was it?

Is it me or the fact that this setra and the bus in Limerick a few weeks ago which also had a fire had Mercedes engines is an utter coincidence.

Is it me or the fact that this setra and the bus in Limerick a few weeks ago which also had a fire had Mercedes engines is an utter coincidence.

Complete co-incidence, Citaros and Setras use different engines for a start, there have also been Neoplans that have caught alight in Dublin Coach.

Setras are regarded as the pinnacle of European coach building and the Citaro is the best selling European Citybus, of course there will be an issue with some vehicles of all manufacturers from time to time, but you don't get the excellent reputation that the marque has if you are prone to going on fire.

• Advertisement

Complete co-incidence, Citaros and Setras use different engines for a start, there have also been Neoplans that have caught alight in Dublin Coach.

Setras are regarded as the pinnacle of European coach building and the Citaro is the best selling European Citybus, of course there will be an issue with some vehicles of all manufacturers from time to time, but you don't get the excellent reputation that the marque has if you are prone to going on fire.

Valid point, i retract my previous statement.

Setra's are no longer built in right hand drive sadly.

The Mercedes Tourismo is the new kid on the block where the Setra once shone.

The citaro is a bus that was always well thought of.

Bus Eireann in Cork took delivery of 16 last year.

Advertisement