Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Scaling good or bad

Options
  • 28-05-2020 12:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭

Hi all, I would welcome opinions on my situation. Basically I have a town house overlooking a river, small back yard beyond which is a drop of about 50 feet to the waters edge.The cliff face is not vertical but is very steep about a 120 degree angle. The board of works will be carrying out maintenance works along a stretch of the river edge below my house. The cliff face is heavily overgrown with small bushes and briars. I have been approached by my neighbour who is canvassing the residents on either side of my house (about 10) to fund the scaling of the river bank below our houses. He is adamant that this is a good thing and normal practice. My opinion is different as clearing the growth I feel will open the face to erosion which would worry me. Has any one had this issue or have experience in erosion. Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭kevcos

Hard to imagine that organic growth would consolidate a near vertical rock face in anyway more then superficially.
    On the contrary its continued growth will further disintegrate the rock face and I cant see it offering much to the way of protection against erosion.
    If it was gently sloping soil I would agree with you.

In any event I think once your neighbour receives a quotation for the work that will be the end of it.
    Those works would surely be very expensive.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

OP this is really a structural question, and as per the forum charter we can comment as such. suggest you get Neighbour to pay for engineer to prepare outline survey and study before any pricing takes place

Advertisement