Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

iPhone 11, 11 Max/Pro, 11R

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭cramp

Dispatch times have slipped on pro max on most variants to 2 to 3 weeks
    Got a pro max space 256gb for delivery 20th
    wasnt going to bother this year .......but gave in to temptation in the end !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭the corpo

The wife will be in Seattle the week after release, any idea if sales are still pandemonium for new iphones these days or has she a good chance of popping into an Apple store and picking one up? For me ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭Micky 32

You could save 300 ish euro in the states!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

the corpo wrote: »
    The wife will be in Seattle the week after release, any idea if sales are still pandemonium for new iphones these days or has she a good chance of popping into an Apple store and picking one up? For me ;)

I’d say they will have some but not for all combinations of size/colour/capacity.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,435 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

the corpo wrote: »

I’d say you’ll get one. Just make sure to get the sim free one.

• Advertisement

I believe the pro max scored 462k on antutu, holy cow!

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 3,713 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeloe

Did anyone actually manage to order off Vodafone’s website today?

Such a **** show

• Registered Users Posts: 17,415 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

Micky 32 wrote: »
    I believe the pro max scored 462k on antutu, holy cow!

still disappointing that ram is still only 4gb on the new phones.
    Considering what they cost now its sheer greediness.
    Even I who used to religiously upgrade my phone every single year since the iphone 4 refuse to fall into this trap and now only upgrade every 2 years or so since the iphone 8.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,668 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Is the 11 Pro's battery life now on par with the XR's?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭Ivefoundgod

Blazer wrote: »
    Even I who used to religiously upgrade my phone every single year since the iphone 4 refuse to fall into this trap and now only upgrade every 2 years or so since the iphone 8.

Think the RAM thing has been debunked. The 11 pros are 6GB, the 11 is 4gb. Seems reasonable to me.

• Advertisement

Think the RAM thing has been debunked. The 11 pros are 6GB, the 11 is 4gb. Seems reasonable to me.

Anyway the ram has never been an issue on any of the iPhones.

I'd say the pro battery will beat the 11/Xr, . Anyway a lot of cases where the max matched the xr battery.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,602 ✭✭✭200motels

skinny90 wrote: »
    I am in the exact same boat, I would always be pro apple but the gap between other offerings is soo wide at this point. really considering taking a punt at the Mi 9T pro
    I’ve had iPhones since they came out and currently have the 7 which is fine and working perfectly but until they get rid of that horrible notch I won’t be going anywhere near them. I like the look of the new Samsung’s and Huawei top phone, the only thing stopping me is the operating system as I don’t like the look of Android but I suppose I could get used to it. I’ll probably wait until the next Iphone’s and hopefully they’ll get rid of the notch.

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭HairySalmon

200motels wrote: »
    I’ve had iPhones since they came out and currently have the 7 which is fine and working perfectly but until they get rid of that horrible notch I won’t be going anywhere near them. I like the look of the new Samsung’s and Huawei top phone, the only thing stopping me is the operating system as I don’t like the look of Android but I suppose I could get used to it. I’ll probably wait until the next Iphone’s and hopefully they’ll get rid of the notch.

The notch will only be reduced for the next iPhone because under screen camera tech is not there yet.

Apple won’t use cut outs since there’s far too much going on with FaceID compared to Samsungs and the rest.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,905 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

I don’t like the look of Android but I suppose I could get used to it.

I would have thought it would be easier to get used to the notch than to get used to Android (if you like iOS). I think it took me all of an hour to stop noticing it on my XR.

Don’t think of the notch as a bite out of the screen. It’s really just two extensions at the top for the time and the WiFi/cell/battery status. You don’t lose anything from the screen in any apps.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,391 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Whether true or not why would you care about this?

It's all about the performance and optimization. I wouldn't judge a phone purely on spec.

I'd say 90% of phone users have no idea what the RAM is on their phone, and if asked would think you're referring to storage.

I’m not a spec guy anyway and don’t think specs matter as long as the user experience is smooth, but aren’t the Pro / Pro Max supposed to have 6gb?

Just to update you on what I did.

Rang Eir, to see what upgrade options were as contract us up in 2 weeks. I spoke to Loyalty team and not normal sales. That is important.

Offered me iPhone 11 64gb for €249 up front and €55 per month bill pay package. I hummed and hawed a bit and asked could they not do anything on price for a loyal customer and he immediately offered the package for €44 a month for first 12 months. I thought that was a good deal and took it. Nice €120 discount.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭j8wk2feszrnpao

I’ll probably wait until the next Iphone’s and hopefully they’ll get rid of the notch.
    Agreed. It’d be nice if they caught up to the competition. The notch is looking dated at this stage, esp as they haven’t even reduced the size of it.
    Moving from iOS to Android isn’t that big of a jump these days. My work phone is a OnePlus, and with email/Chrome/WhatsApp synced, it’s easy go between them.
    But you’d lose your apps from the App Store (so depends on what you use and have purchased).
    Just check it all out as much as you can first.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭Eire Go Brach

murpho999 wrote: »
    Just to update you on what I did.

Rang Eir, to see what upgrade options were as contract us up in 2 weeks. I spoke to Loyalty team and not normal sales. That is important.

Offered me iPhone 11 64gb for €249 up front and €55 per month bill pay package. I hummed and hawed a bit and asked could they not do anything on price for a loyal customer and he immediately offered the package for €44 a month for first 12 months. I thought that was a good deal and took it. Nice €120 discount.

EIR have a loyalty team. Mind blown (o:

Good deal all the same. It’s nice they are rewarding you for being a long customer.

EIR have a loyalty team. Mind blown (o:

Good deal all the same. It’s nice they are rewarding you for being a long customer.

Yes, I'm not a fan of Eir or their customer service, I refuse to get their broadband or landline but their mobile deal is hard to beat.

Did it two years ago too got €50 off 8 plus and €5 off package for 6 months. It's good you can deal with them.
    Mr.S wrote: »
    Not a bad deal- assume the €44 p/m is for unlimited everything? What's the data cap on Eir these days?

Yes, it's unlimted data. Was chatting to rep whilst payment was going through an he said the fair usage limit is 80gb.

Plenty for me.

• Advertisement

It's possible the pro models might have 6gb ram unconfirmed.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,358 ✭✭✭DubDJ

Micky 32 wrote: »
    It's possible the pro models might have 6gb ram unconfirmed.
    Looks like it’s actually 4GB across the board.
    https://twitter.com/markgurman/status/1173710838970167297?s=21

• Registered Users Posts: 2,602 ✭✭✭200motels

Agreed. It’d be nice if they caught up to the competition. The notch is looking dated at this stage, esp as they haven’t even reduced the size of it.
    Moving from iOS to Android isn’t that big of a jump these days. My work phone is a OnePlus, and with email/Chrome/WhatsApp synced, it’s easy go between them.
    But you’d lose your apps from the App Store (so depends on what you use and have purchased).
    Just check it all out as much as you can first.
    I’ll hold out till next year as my iPhone 7 is only about 6 months old as I lost my previous one and got it replaced under insurance. Wouldn’t be much point I suppose of upgrading to an 8 as I’ve been offered a 8 for free on contract.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭dmcg90

Any idea if there are devices to walk up and buy on Friday morning in the Dublin stores?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,116 ✭✭✭pad199207

• Registered Users Posts: 17,415 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

murpho999 wrote: »
    Whether true or not why would you care about this?

It's all about the performance and optimization. I wouldn't judge a phone purely on spec.

I'd say 90% of phone users have no idea what the RAM is on their phone, and if asked would think you're referring to storage.

I know the iPhone is very optimised but we already see android phones with 8gb ram.
    It will be fine at launch but a year or 2 later that 4gb of ram will be holding it back.
    It’s happened before when they released the plus models and what’s the point of releasing a 64bit cpu if they’re not going to give it the ram to take advantage of it.
    I love apple products but it smacks of sheer greediness that a phone costing €1179 at its entry point only has 4gb ram, optimised or not, and has only 64gb storage.
    I use the cloud anyway on my64gb but it’s still penny pinching.
    Of course the real reason Apple switched to 64bit is to eventually use them in their macs etc and the iPhone makes a great testing bed.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,655 ✭✭✭CIP4

Done a lot of thinking over the last few days and I had been threatening to buy an Iphone XR for the last 6 months.

But finally decided and pulled the trigger and ordered an 11 128GB. I have an iPhone 8 the last two years so the 11 will feel like a good upgrade without going to the expensive of getting an 11 Pro. Looking forward to the bigger screen and no home button :)

Just a waiting game now.

It will be fine at launch but a year or 2 later that 4gb of ram will be holding it back.

I don’t know ... I don’t feel the 3GB of my 2 years old iPhone X are holding it back today, and at the time there were the same talks saying it was half of the 6gb found on some android phones and would be an issue in the long term.

Also, 2GB phones like the iPhone 8 are still running more than decently, and that model is indeed still present on this year’s line up. As they are still selling the 8 this year, Apple has to make sure iOS still runs decently with 2GB for another while, which kind of guarantees it will run very fine with 4GB.

I think iOS and Android are just 2 very different beasts in terms of memory management.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,116 ✭✭✭pad199207

Bob24 wrote: »
    I don’t know ... I don’t feel the 3GB of my 2 years old iPhone X are holding it back today, and at the time there were the same talks saying it was half of the 6gb found on some android phones and would be an issue in the long term.

Also, 2GB phones like the iPhone 8 are still running more than decently, and that model is indeed still present on this year’s line up. As they are still selling the 8 this year, Apple has to make sure iOS still runs decently with 2GB for another while, which kind of guarantees it will run very fine with 4GB.

I think iOS and Android are just 2 very different beasts in terms of memory management.

Yup my iPhone 8 running spot on at the moment. Can’t say anything bad about it at all.
    An upgrade to iPhone 11 would only be just to have the latest Apple Goodies.

Advertisement