Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My autonomous lawn mower thread/blog

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,030 ✭✭✭✭KCross

zetor 4911 wrote: »
    Hi Tubber Man,
    Was also thinking of the 430 but I am in the same boat as yourself with 2 laws divided by a tarmac drive way and concrete kerbs along the driveway. Would be interested to know how you get around this.

There isnt any real "getting around it". You have to make a path for the mower and how you do that is specific to every installation so Tubber Man wont have any silver bullet for you.

If the only way to "drive" the mower from one lawn to another is across tarmac then you have to cut a slot in the tarmac to lay the wire and have a slope on/off the kerbs at some point so that it can drive it.

The only other option is manually carrying it which, as I said earlier, defeats the purpose of the robot.

Best bet is to get an installer out to your place.

• Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭zetor 4911

KCross wrote: »
    There isnt any real "getting around it". You have to make a path for the mower and how you do that is specific to every installation so Tubber Man wont have any silver bullet for you.

If the only way to "drive" the mower from one lawn to another is across tarmac then you have to cut a slot in the tarmac to lay the wire and have a slope on/off the kerbs at some point so that it can drive it.

The only other option is manually carrying it which, as I said earlier, defeats the purpose of the robot.

Best bet is to get an installer out to your place.
    If I cut a slot in tarmac will the slot have to be left open in other words can it be covered over with the wire underneath?.

zetor 4911 wrote: »
    If I cut a slot in tarmac will the slot have to be left open in other words can it be covered over with the wire underneath?.

It can be covered. It can be several cm below the ground and the mower will pick it up fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭dec2000

Does anyone have the automower connect installed? Was considering getting it for the security of being able to track the mower via GPS but had a couple of questions:
    Does anyone know if it has it's own backup battery or how long it lasts if it needs to be tracked?
    Does turning off the mower disable the GPS module?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

Ok hopefully someone might be able to help and thanks, I was going to invest in tractor lawnmower but ended up talking to a few people at bloom and they all said a robotic lawnmower would work. I have attached image of house.

I want the lawn(especially at back) to be really low for the kids. I didn't think robotic lawnmower would work because there is a good few turns but everything is connected. There is one foot path which you can see from image and then it is connected to the front garden at one side of the house.

The total lawn area is circa 0.7 acre.

I was wondering would robotic work for this type of lawn?

• Advertisement

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    Ok hopefully someone might be able to help and thanks, I was going to invest in tractor lawnmower but ended up talking to a few people at bloom and they all said a robotic lawnmower would work. I have attached image of house.

I want the lawn(especially at back) to be really low for the kids. I didn't think robotic lawnmower would work because there is a good few turns but everything is connected. There is one foot path which you can see from image and then it is connected to the front garden at one side of the house.

The total lawn area is circa 0.7 acre.

I was wondering would robotic work for this type of lawn?

They are wide open areas with very few obstacles so they are ideally suited to robot.

I cant see any reason why you couldnt put a robot on that lawn.

Where in that pic would you like to put the charge station? You obviously need to run a wire to the edge of the lawn from your house somewhere, to power the charge station and you would need to bury that wire out of sight.

Just based on the pic I'd suggest it would go in the side area which looks more secure from prying eyes and then have the 2 guide wires going out to the left and the right to the respective lawns and have them taking a big arc all the way to your front entrance. You can then tell the mower to start cutting at any point of the lawn.

They are wide open areas with very few obstacles so they are ideally suited to robot.

I cant see any reason why you couldnt put a robot on that lawn.

Where in that pic would you like to put the charge station? You obviously need to run a wire to the edge of the lawn from your house somewhere, to power the charge station and you would need to bury that wire out of sight.

Just based on the pic I'd suggest it would go in the side area which looks more secure from prying eyes and then have the 2 guide wires going out to the left and the right to the respective lawns and have them taking a big arc all the way to your front entrance. You can then tell the mower to start cutting at any point of the lawn.

No idea for charge station, I only had a look at these over last few weeks and haven't really talked to anyone in detail yet.

Does the charge station sit outside on grass or does it need to be inside?

No idea for charge station, I only had a look at these over last few weeks and haven't really talked to anyone in detail yet.

Does the charge station sit outside on grass or does it need to be inside?

At the edge of the grass and the perimeter wire is fed off it and it obviously needs power. Its not something you move around but you can bring it in for the winter by just disconnecting the cables/wires. You need to decide upfront where you are locating it.

It comes with a reasonably long cable (10m I think) and the other end of the cable is a transformer and a 3 pin plug so you would typically have that inside your house/garage to keep it dry and then run the cable out to the charging station.

If you can get your dealer to take you to a working system that is the best thing to do. Nothing like seeing it in action.

At the edge of the grass and the perimeter wire is fed off it and it obviously needs power. Its not something you move around but you can bring it in for the winter by just disconnecting the cables/wires. You need to decide upfront where you are locating it.

It comes with a reasonably long cable (10m I think) and the other end of the cable is a transformer and a 3 pin plug so you would typically have that inside your house/garage to keep it dry and then run the cable out to the charging station.

If you can get your dealer to take you to a working system that is the best thing to do. Nothing like seeing it in action.

Cheers, in terms of dealer I haven't even started.

I was been recommended Viking for tractor lawnmower but don't know on Robotic.

Is there any recommended brands? I did see what I think is Irish brand at Bloom, think it was Robotic.ie or something like that, was lashing so I just ran past.

Is there recommended brands? I see a few mentions of Husqvarna here but I was told by a friend to stay away from there tractor lawnmowers

I have heard Husqvarna tractor mowers are poor as well from one individual and another says its fine. I guess its a bit of luck and how you treat them.

However, their robot is fine for me so far and I believe it has a good reputation.
    Robomow is also another popular one.

Read the first few pages of this thread from @prospect who has a Robomow and some of my own comments here to get a feel for what is available and what our experiences were:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=91372720&postcount=36

• Advertisement

Thanks KCross. I had read those pages yesterday but when I read them last night it made a lot more sense.

I have attached an updated image. I have a dog so I plan on running a fence around the house to keep the dog to front and kids at back. It will be just standard posts and green netting.

I seen you mentioned KCross about the guidewire, I have tried to show what I thought I could do on image, red line will be fence. So I run border wire around. Should I follow the path of green line so it know where hole is? do I then need to run guidewire through it?

Any idea how they handle dog poop?

Thanks KCross. I had read those pages yesterday but when I read them last night it made a lot more sense.

I have attached an updated image. I have a dog so I plan on running a fence around the house to keep the dog to front and kids at back. It will be just standard posts and green netting.

I seen you mentioned KCross about the guidewire, I have tried to show what I thought I could do on image, red line will be fence. So I run border wire around. Should I follow the path of green line so it know where hole is? do I then need to run guidewire through it?

Any idea how they handle dog poop?

I have a similar setup with post/rail fence and netting. As you have read I dug an underpass under the fence for the mower to travel.

I'll draw you a picture later of how it would be wired but I will have to make an assumption about where you are putting the charge station which may not be right but that shouldnt matter to the overall plan as such.

I have a dog as well... admittedly only a small dog so the poo is relative! I dont have any issues with it. If it hits one obviously its going to be on the blades and wheels but since its out for hours at a time it will wear off quick enough.

I have a similar setup with post/rail fence and netting. As you have read I dug an underpass under the fence for the mower to travel.

I'll draw you a picture later of how it would be wired but I will have to make an assumption about where you are putting the charge station which may not be right but that shouldnt matter to the overall plan as such.

I have a dog as well... admittedly only a small dog so the poo is relative! I dont have any issues with it. If it hits one obviously its going to be on the blades and wheels but since its out for hours at a time it will wear off quick enough.

Thanks, its ok. No need for pic, I will prob be putting dog on perimeter fence thing so will just leave a spot.

Based on the info I think it option for me. Now to try and find supplier and purchase :-)

Still not certain of what model to go with but will contact a few suppliers and see what they offer

Thanks, its ok. No need for pic, I will prob be putting dog on perimeter fence thing so will just leave a spot.

Based on the info I think it option for me. Now to try and find supplier and purchase :-)

Still not certain of what model to go with but will contact a few suppliers and see what they offer

Too late, I have it done! :) It only took a minute.

388318.png

The yellow is the charge station
    Green is your fence
    Red are the 2 guide wires
    And obviously blue is the perimeter.

The Blue wire is a continuous wire from one side of the charge station all the way around the lawn back to the other side of the charge station.

Where I cross the 2 fences is where you put the underpass for the mower to travel under the fence and note that the perimeter wire does not cross the underpass.

The guide wires come out of the charge station and take whatever path you like and they have to terminate at any point you like on the perimeter but they cannot pass over a perimeter (AFAIK).

You then tell the mower how often in % terms it is to use that wire when it leaves the charge station and how far out the wire it is to go.

Sorry I final question, how do you actually work out size of your lawn?

I used the following and saying around 1,200m2

I don't have original plans and only buying house now

You then tell the mower how often in % terms it is to use that wire when it leaves the charge station and how far out the wire it is to go.

Class, thanks man!!!

Sorry I final question, how do you actually work out size of your lawn?

I used the following and saying around 1,200m2

I don't have original plans and only buying house now

Tape and measure or use google maps and some online tools like this one:
    https://www.freemaptools.com/area-calculator.htm

Tape and measure or use google maps and some online tools like this one:
    https://www.freemaptools.com/area-calculator.htm

Based on that I am looking at a little over 1500m2.

Is there any recommendation to be aware of? Like it mower is for 1800m2 and you are close to it should you jump to next size? or just stick to guidelines from manufacturers?

Based on that I am looking at a little over 1500m2.

Is there any recommendation to be aware of? Like it mower is for 1800m2 and you are close to it should you jump to next size? or just stick to guidelines from manufacturers?

Depends on price I suppose. At 1500m2 the Husqvarna 430x will do fine as it is spec'd for up to 3200m2.

@prospect (or others on here) should be able to give you some guidance on the equivalent Robomow.

This is another good tool to size your lawn using google maps and an online tool. Cool animation at the end when you colour in your lawn! I'm easily pleased! :)

http://robomow.com/robomap

• Advertisement

This is another good tool to size your lawn using google maps and an online tool. Cool animation at the end when you colour in your lawn! I'm easily pleased! :)

http://robomow.com/robomap

Similar to myself :-) loved the little mower flying around :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭morgana

I'm looking at the Robomow MC1000, its looks perfect for my requirements. Currently my area is just about 500 sqm, but I have a pretty wild field in front which I would add once I've tamed it :P.
    Most of my questions I answered by looking at the manual / Youtube vids. A few questions remain though.
    How does the roboter cope with the Irish climate, i.e. if it isn't able to mow for a while cause of constant rain?
    How does it cope with wet/rough/high grass/ weeds and uneven slightly bumpy ground?
    The ground is more or less level but a bit bumpy in places.
    And, most importantly, how safe is it with pets - cats specifically?

Dreaming of no more lawn mowing :P

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭cornet

For those that have a Robomow which crosses a driveway (e.g. Tarmac) to a sub-zone how wide was the passage and did you need to configure the perimeter wire as a narrow pass?

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭dec2000

morgana wrote: »
    I'm looking at the Robomow MC1000, its looks perfect for my requirements. Currently my area is just about 500 sqm, but I have a pretty wild field in front which I would add once I've tamed it :P.
    Most of my questions I answered by looking at the manual / Youtube vids. A few questions remain though.
    How does the roboter cope with the Irish climate, i.e. if it isn't able to mow for a while cause of constant rain?
    How does it cope with wet/rough/high grass/ weeds and uneven slightly bumpy ground?
    The ground is more or less level but a bit bumpy in places.
    And, most importantly, how safe is it with pets - cats specifically?

Dreaming of no more lawn mowing :P

I don't have a RoboMow but have a Husqvarna so answers are based on that.

- My mower goes out in all weather. I only brought it in once and that was th week I got it and there were thunderstorms and a lot of rain. I was told by the dealer the only thing they shouldn't be subjected to is standing water.
    - We have 3/4 acre that is fairy bumpy (it was a field and is planted with field grass) - not got around to levelling it yet. For the most part it's no issue at all - it gets over big bumps and dips no problem. We have one problem area where a hole is beside the clothes line and I forgot to cable it so it wouldn't go near it - it's got stuck there a few times os just need to either put cable around it or fill the hole.
    - Wet grass is no bother - it just trims the very top but the mower gets a lot of grass stuck to it and needs to be cleaned. At most I'm only cleaning it 1-2 a week and it goes for 12 hours for 5 days.
    - we have a dog and 2 cats - the dog ignores it completely. The cats like to chase it but then quickly give up. They've never jumped on it or done anything that would cause them harm - I don't think they'd ever get a paw under it if that's what you're worried about.

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭blue banana

keep away from thes e heap of scrap 0872133731

keep away from thes e heap of scrap 0872133731

What are you referring to and what is the mobile number for?
    Do you own a robot mower?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,183 ✭✭✭deadl0ck

Anybody else with a robomow getting a lot of clumps of grass all over the lawn with the rainy weather ?
    It seems to be mostly off the wheels where the grass sticks to it, but sometimes I'm getting lines just cut of grass either side of the track where it has cut, and also sometime in the middle.
    Just wondering if anybody else has experienced this ?
    By the way - I have an RS622

I know that it should really only cut in good weather, but that's kind of impossible with our climate.....

• deadl0ck wrote: »
    Anybody else with a robomow getting a lot of clumps of grass all over the lawn with the rainy weather ?
    It seems to be mostly off the wheels where the grass sticks to it, but sometimes I'm getting lines just cut of grass either side of the track where it has cut, and also sometime in the middle.
    Just wondering if anybody else has experienced this ?
    By the way - I have an RS622

I know that it should really only cut in good weather, but that's kind of impossible with our climate.....

Are you letting it cut often enough? I find that when i mulch grass that is to long this happens. if i cut grass regularly every few days no problem

• Registered Users Posts: 4,183 ✭✭✭deadl0ck

Are you letting it cut often enough? I find that when i mulch grass that is to long this happens. if i cut grass regularly every few days no problem
    Could be that. I'm only letting it out between 9am and 10pm.
    I was also stupid enough to fertilise my lawn this year and it's growing like crazy.
    I might also stop to drop the height bit by bit, I was cutting at 70mm and I'd like to get down to 50 or 45 mm.
    What sort of schedule you running? And at what cutting height?

• Advertisement

Just wondering has anyone experience of the Viking automowers?

I know there tractor lawnmowers are very good but wondering is there automowers any good?

Advertisement