Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The Audiophiles' Lounge

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,375 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

whatdoyaknow, the fidelio's sound great from a mobile phone :D yup, late night, but Rammstein's "Liebe ist für alle da" always puts me in a better mood :D

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

flyswatter wrote: »
    . I have a third party Grooveshark downloader a

*cough* details *cough*

• Registered Users Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭peckerhead

• Registered Users Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭marko93

Going back to the iPod soon enough, tbh cannot come sooner. Sansa Clip is just a pain in the bollóx.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,375 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

Ah well, works for me :P

• Advertisement

Mactard wrote: »
    Ah well, works for me :P

Was working for me, but realised, I don't use the EQ or any other "extra functions" so it's just plain irritating and the ipod classic has a fine ole sound anyway. So hopefully I can be happy again :p

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭doing

marko93 wrote: »
    Was working for me, but realised, I don't use the EQ or any other "extra functions" so it's just plain irritating and the ipod classic has a fine ole sound anyway. So hopefully I can be happy again :p

If it's in good nick would you consider selling it? If so is it a clip or a clip+?

It's virtually impossible to buy the thing anywhere.

doing wrote: »
    If it's in good nick would you consider selling it? If so is it a clip or a clip+?

It's virtually impossible to buy the thing anywhere.

Tis a clip zip!

Tis a clip zip!

And if you're happy to sell it, is it in decent nick? 2,4 or 8GB? What kind of price would you be looking for?

If not, anyone have any idea where I could buy one of these things? Amazon won't ship it to Ireland. Pixmania charge crazy money. Expansys.ie have just discontinued selling it, ebay is extremely dodgy.

Even UK stores don't seem to be selling it anymore, neither Currys and PCWorld.co.uk sell it.

Is it possible for an Irishman to buy this thing for a reasonable price from a reputable company?

Tis a 4gb. :) perfect nick! I'd sell it tomorrow except it'd mean I have no player what so ever! As for price, not sure, make an offer in PMs :p

• Advertisement

Tis a 4gb. :) perfect nick! I'd sell it tomorrow except it'd mean I have no player what so ever! As for price, not sure, make an offer in PMs :p

Sent you a pm.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,441 ✭✭✭micks_address

My home theatre is monitor audio radius hd with rsw12 sub. For music listening on the go i have sennheisser ie80 iems just bought an ibasso d2 portable amp and dac so looking forward to getting that. Cheers mick

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Going back to the iPod soon enough, tbh cannot come sooner. Sansa Clip is just a pain in the bollóx.

LOL. I'm a bit the same. great sound but I find the buttons and interface a little awkward vs my Sony.

BostonB wrote: »
    LOL. I'm a bit the same. great sound but I find the buttons and interface a little awkward vs my Sony.

Are you looking to sell?

doing wrote: »
    I sent both of those fellas a private message. The least Mark09 could have done is responded yes or no, especially since he specifically asked me for a PM and was sporadically online over the next hour or so. Bad form.
    Jesus mate relax there, I'm mostly on this on my phone so notifications for PM's don't show up. I've replied just there

Jesus mate relax there, I'm mostly on this on my phone so notifications for PM's don't show up. I've replied just there

When you put it like that, I over reacted. Sorry.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,699 ✭✭✭Brian

Sooo close to buying HE-400s...

Brian wrote: »

If you do, I demand a go.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,396 ✭✭✭PPC

Where are you considering getting them from?
    They're so expensive in Europe compared to the US.

Would be ordering from head-direct.com

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,185 ✭✭✭emo72

anybody see sennheiser momentums in the wild yet? just wondering when they are on sale in ireland.

You should try heading to Tullamore where they're made at Sennheiser HQ ;)

Got a NAD amp off gumtree yesterday, plenty powerful for my AD700s. Hope it sounds good with the HE-400s. Have a Kenwood amp in the works too.

GATUl.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 6,185 ✭✭✭emo72

yea, but i doubt they'd let me in. delighted that they are made in ireland. it'd be great if i could buy them in ireland too! anyone know when they are on sale?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,574 ✭✭✭dharn

this thread should be renamed the headphone lounge...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭Custardpi

Got a NAD amp off gumtree yesterday, plenty powerful for my AD700s. Hope it sounds good with the HE-400s. Have a Kenwood amp in the works too.

Be interested to hear what you think of the Nad amp with your headphones. I love how my 302 sounds through my speakers but was never that impressed with its headphone out so got a separate headphone amp for that. Good choice on the CD player btw.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,822 ✭✭✭Morf

GATUl.jpg

Are those AD700's just a different colour to the current ATH AD700's?

emo72 wrote: »
    yea, but i doubt they'd let me in. delighted that they are made in ireland. it'd be great if i could buy them in ireland too! anyone know when they are on sale?

I don't know of any high-end headphone sellers in Ireland with a physical store. A couple of music production shops might sell you some HD 25-1 IIs or middling AKG models but that's about it.

Came across this site recently (who don't have the Momentums at the moment), don't know anything about them but they could be worth contacting - http://www.headphonehub.ie/
    dharn wrote: »
    this thread should be renamed the headphone lounge...

Why? Nothing stopping you from posting loudspeakers or hifi either.
    Custardpi wrote: »
    Be interested to hear what you think of the Nad amp with your headphones. I love how my 302 sounds through my speakers but was never that impressed with its headphone out so got a separate headphone amp for that. Good choice on the CD player btw.

Enjoying it very much. Haven't had a proper amp since my MiniBox E+ (portable) broke last year though. The AD700s improve a lot more with amping than I expected, but it's mainly in preparation for the HE-400s.

Love my CD-63. Gave up on waiting for a matching PM-__ model to show up on Adverts though, so I got this NAD at least for the interim. Found an interesting Kenwood KA-5010 as well which I think I'll be picking up this evening. Next step is to find some nice old bookshelfs.
    Morf wrote: »
    Are those AD700's just a different colour to the current ATH AD700's?

I spray painted the grills black. Probably seems a bit hypocritical of me, since I've often held to the "looks don't matter" line in headphones, but I mainly wanted an excuse to take them apart. The purple didn't bother me all that much.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,574 ✭✭✭dharn

@ brian, true enough but 90% of post here at present seem to relate to headphones

Well headphones are an easier hobby to get into. No room treatment, box damping, stand adjustment, and so on. I'm interested in buying speakers but it seems quite intimidating and the budget floor is much higher (at least in Europe).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,340 ✭✭✭yimrsg

Got a pair of beyerdynamic dt770 there and I'm really liking them. I wanted to get something that had some bass and would be good for pc gaming and after reading madlustenvy's guide on head fi and doing some research it came out on top.

Build wise:
    No qualms on build quality. Tank like construction, good lead and connector and solid strain reliefs.

Comfort:
    I've read stories about how good the velour earpads are but until you try them you won't believe it, they're amazing comfort wise. The dt770 is not a small headphone by any standard but once you put them on it feels very discreet, my ears don't touch the velour pads or the domes are plenty deep also. The pleather headband is also great and since it's metal it's more adjustable than a plastic one and resilient too. Clamping force is about perfect for me, snug and firm.

Soundstage:
    This is a real eye opener coming from mostly IEMs and a grado, at times it's a bit disconcerting having various instruments so separate and far away; in Clapton's I Feel Free feels like the bass guitarist sounds like he's playing in another room. For other songs like Baba O'Riley you appreciate all that space as the synth orbits around you and the bass kicks in. It does make you want to keep listening to songs as it's easier for you to appreciate individual instruments.

Isolation:
    At the moment it's hard to say if these are better at isolation than my triple flange IEMs but they're certainly very good. Background noise is no issue wearing these.

Amping/Source:
    I've done most of my listening using these with an ipod classic as I can't find my e5 at the moment. It's not an easy headphone to power and at 80Ω it takes 75% volume on the ipod to really get going, my IEMs would get enough juice on 10-25% so I'm reluctant to go too loud with these. I've used them very briefly with my laptop and it seems more capable of driving them as you'd expect.

Sound:
    It's a bit of a bass monster so certain songs will give you goosebumps and others will leave you feeling very little. I've not had a bass heavy headphone so it's definitely appreciated as it's bringing a new lease of life to certain genres. I kept listening to new songs (Groove Armada's Easy and Prodigy's One Love were the highlights) well into the night, it was a struggle to stop listening.

Overall:
    I'm sure my opinions on the sound will change over time but for now I'm chuffed with the dt770. It's been a while since I've had goosebumps from listening to music but it was a regular occurrence wearing these last night. It's hit the spot perfectly.

Advertisement