Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Sociology of Extra-Terrestrial Life?

• 31-07-2009 12:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,483 ✭✭✭

I happened across these three papers in a search for articles on living systems theory.

I really....dont know what to make of them. Interesting ideas, but they just seem so pointless. If you have access to academic search premier, the fulltext HTML articles are available. One is public, so I'm posting the abstract. Personally, I think its indulgent nonsense, but it does remind me of a throwaway comment by Carl Sagan the the 'L' variable of Drake's equation was one for the sociologists :)

Harrison, Albert A. 2000. The Search for Extraterrestrial Intelligence. Free Inquiry, Vol. 20 Issue 3, p30

Harrison, Albert A., 1993. Thinking intelligently about extraterrestrial intelligence: An application of living systems theory. Behavioral Science, Jul93, Vol. 38, Issue 3

O'Donnell, Declan. 1994. Founding a space nation utilizing living systems theory. Behavioral Science, 00057940, Vol. 39, Issue 2

Abstract:

For the future exploration, utilization, and settlement of the space frontier, it is proposed that a separate nation be created for the New Millennium as humankind's representative government in space. Called a "Metanation," this innovative entity would fill the present political void in space and manage that "territory" with focus, financing, and the legal force of government. The "common heritage of mankind" (C.H.O.M.) would be protected while the orbital environment is first developed and then administered by that sovereign state in trust for all nations and all peoples of Earth. [C.H.O.M. (The Common Heritage of Mankind) is a legal "term of art" defined in the proposed United Nations Convention on the Law of the Sea, 1982.] This broader model of governance is "Metaspace," for that area of our Solar System beyond our terrestrial home. In both usages, the term "meta" is used in its classical sense of above, beyond, around and about. In this article, the combination of words indicates activities that are extraterrestrial. Thus, metaspace is governance that is beyond this planet, while being comparable in operation to that of earthly nations (i.e., on behalf of the all the citizenry). The suggested structure features an independent but representative governmental institution, complete with a legislature and a judicial system, which will have plenary jurisdiction to rule aloft. In planning for this off-world government, it is proposed here that living systems theory may be applicable.

Advertisement