Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Apple Watch Series 4

1171819202123»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,388 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Has anyone else noticed that their HRV is reading much more frequently since the latest update?
    I am very happy that this has started, it gives a much more accurate reading overall, it used only read at 2 or 3 times a day, and when I used the breathe app, but now it's reading 10+ times per day. actually, practically every 2 hours.

That's most likely to do with the new ECG and heart monitoring that was approved and included in 5.2 since last week.

So the watch will give you a warning if it notices you have an irregular/arrythmic heartbeat.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭ballyharpat

Yeah, I was aware of the ECG-it was the reason I purchased the watch initially, but the HRV is great, it was just annoying that I had to do the readings myself, now that it does them regular itself, it makes it way more accurate.

• Administrators Posts: 53,342 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Was playing with the latest watch in compub, it seems far snappier than my series 2.

Is it actually much faster?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,414 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

awec wrote: »
    Was playing with the latest watch in compub, it seems far snappier than my series 2.

I'd have all gens of the apple watch and this is by far the fastest. It's practically instantaneous for apps to open.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,300 ✭✭✭Bits_n_Bobs

In the states next week, is there much saving or other benefits to be had by buying an iwatch while there ? My back of the envelope numbers seem to show around €60 saving after paying Ca. Sales tax @8%

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,537 ✭✭✭FourFourRED

Blazer wrote: »
    I'd have all gens of the apple watch and this is by far the fastest. It's practically instantaneous for apps to open.

You could nearly say it’s.... blazing fast

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

awec wrote: »

It is. Everything is pretty much instant. Then you have raise to speak and Siri talks back to you. Then you have the slightly larger screen and rounded corners, slightly thinner body and the more rounded design, with the flush button below the crown. There is also of course the ecg and haptic feedback when you rotate the crown. There are also a couple of exclusive faces to the 4. There is also the new heart rate sensor. I haven’t seen any different between the old and new sensors.

If all that is important to you.

Saying all that. In real world use, if you don’t use many 3rd part apps or interact with many apps, want or need the ecg and haptic feedback when you rotate the crown. The 2nd series is just as fast. Has the same screen brightness in a square design and more square body (screen on the 2 is better in my opinion as it has hardly any blue shift. The 4 has a much more pronounced blue shift). Is also 50m water resistant. Has the same kind of battery life too. Also there is double the storage. 8gb vs 16gb. Again, I don’t put music on it or photos so it makes no difference to me.

I use the modular face with battery, time, date in the middle, HeartWatch, weather, step counter. Works exactly the same and just as fast between the 2 and 4. Using this you wouldn’t even notice that the 2 has a square screen and the 4 rounded.

I get the same battery using this face between the two of them.

There is a little bit of stuttering on the 2. The 4 is very smooth. Not a bother to me though.

For me I just couldn’t get on with the aluminium body and glass. I like bracelets, and couldn’t match anything to the aluminium 4.

So I sold it. Then I got a mint space black 2 stainless steel and sapphire for £180 (€208). More important to me than the speed increase or ecg. Then I got a mint space black link bracelet for $130 (€115). I also prefer the more square design of the 2.

Besides the ecg, they work exactly the same for me. The 2 will check for a irregular heart rhythm too so it will alert you if it detects a fib.

Also forgot to mention. The 4 is supposed to have upgraded speaker and mic moved for better clarity. I found no difference. The 2 is as loud as the 4 and the mic is as clear as it ever was. Talking on the 4 or the 2 the other side says they sound exactly the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭turfthrower

Update on the Series 4 that can't do ECG because it was bought in Japan.

I'm gonna be in Belfast this week, so I'm gonna see if the nice people in the Apple store there will swop my Japan-bought Series 4 for an Irish/UK one. I rang AppleCare and asked them and they basically said 'They might, try it"

They also said that apparently the shop in Japan I bought it from should have told me that it was a regionalised watch, and not the same as those sold internationally. Apparently all Apple hardware is localised in this way - the guy on the phone told me that for example FaceTime is turned off on iPhones and iPads in Saudi Arabia because it's illegal there. (Why? The mind boggles? Is it to avoid women in their home not wearing headscarves FaceTiming people outside their homes? Who knows? Anyway . . .)

AppleCare said that I should first get in touch with the shop I bought the watch from and they would talk to Apple and attempt to get another one sent to me. But to do that I'd a) have to speak and write Japanese b)send the watch to Japan c)get the shop to send it to Apple and d)get a new watch sent to me.

Yeah. That's not happening.

So hopefully they'll just give me a new one.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,556 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

Not just Saudi FaceTime is not allowed on phones in UAE.

the Japanese version of iPhone 7 and above has an extra chip in them to allow them to be used as travel tickets on the Japanese subways.

There’s tons of little variations in hardware, you need to be wary when buying any piece of hardware abroad.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,830 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

They also said that apparently the shop in Japan I bought it from should have told me that it was a regionalised watch, and not the same as those sold internationally. Apparently all Apple hardware is localised in this way - the guy on the phone told me that for example FaceTime is turned off on iPhones and iPads in Saudi Arabia because it's illegal there. (Why? The mind boggles? Is it to avoid women in their home not wearing headscarves FaceTiming people outside their homes? Who knows? Anyway . . .)

AppleCare said that I should first get in touch with the shop I bought the watch from and they would talk to Apple and attempt to get another one sent to me. But to do that I'd a) have to speak and write Japanese b)send the watch to Japan c)get the shop to send it to Apple and d)get a new watch sent to me.

AppleCare shouldn't be leading you up the path like this. People buy products abroad because they are cheaper, or not available in their territory. If Apple were to switch out every iPhone or iPod bought abroad they would sell very little in Ireland. AppleStore wouldn't entertain you looking for a swap either. You bought it, it was up to you to find out any regional differences first. When you buy in Ireland you are protected by Consumer legislation, that you do not get buying abroad. I bought a MacBook Pro in Australia, do you think Apple would change it for me, because I didn't check to see if it had an Australian keyboard?

• Advertisement

does anyone else notice the battery dying faster since the latest update? Mine used to last 2 days easy, now it lasts about 40-44 hours instead of 48-52 hours.....

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

does anyone else notice the battery dying faster since the latest update? Mine used to last 2 days easy, now it lasts about 40-44 hours instead of 48-52 hours.....

Did you enable irregular heart rhythm monitoring?

mad muffin wrote: »
    Did you enable irregular heart rhythm monitoring?

Yeah. i thought that may be it alright. It reads my Heart rate more frequently and uses that information for my HRV, which I use to gauge my fitness and send it to my coach if it is above or below a certain level without having done an extreme block of training.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭Eire Go Brach

Had quite a serious incident with my heart last Thursday. Totally unexpected.
    Having a heart rate monitor made a big difference in my decision to go to the hospital.
    The doctors here are very impressed with the ECG function. While it technically only checks for AFIB. It’s quite accurate compared to a real ECG. Not something Apple highlighted.
    Knowing now what I was looking at last Thursday. I would have went into the hospital immediately rather than waiting.

Apple Watch will more then likely be a big help to be going forward.

What happened was. I went for a swim last Thursday and going home I noticed my heart rate was quite high and not coming down. Also had a pain in my shoulder/chest.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,421 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Learned something new today.
    Went to work and left phone at home, so obviously connected to the house WiFi.

Get to work wearing the watch and it obviously remembered it was connected to the work WiFi before.

I was able t9 receive and reply to texts all day while my phone was at home but watch with me several miles away!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭willowthewisp

Hi,
    I have 2 queries for anyone who has one of the watches. Predominantly I want to use the watch when going for a run, and don't want to bring my phone along.

So specifically when the phone isn't in range of the watch.

Does the watch track Time Distance & Pace?
    Can you listen to Podcasts from the watch?

Feedback on this would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

Hi,
    I have 2 queries for anyone who has one of the watches. Predominantly I want to use the watch when going for a run, and don't want to bring my phone along.

So specifically when the phone isn't in range of the watch.

Does the watch track Time Distance & Pace?
    Can you listen to Podcasts from the watch?

Feedback on this would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks

Yes to both. The watch has GPS so can do all that tracking stuff.

Apple’s podcast app (which I don’t use so can’t comment on it) can be used without the phone too. Don’t know whether you have to synch from the phone before you leave for your run or whether you can download them directly.

Yes to both. The watch has GPS so can do all that tracking stuff.

Apple’s podcast app (which I don’t use so can’t comment on it) can be used without the phone too. Don’t know whether you have to synch from the phone before you leave for your run or whether you can download them directly.

As said above, yes to both, I use apples podcast app, it syncs automatically from the phone, you will have the podcasts available that you subscribe to, they download When charging

• Registered Users Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭willowthewisp

Thanks a million really appreciate your responses.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭podge018

anybody find the apple podcast app confusing?

How can you tell which podcasts are downloaded to the watch and which are only playing because your connected to the phone? I select one, go out on a run without my phone, and 2 minutes later the podcast stops saying no internet connection, awful pain in the arse.

Really should be a Downloaded section.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

podge018 wrote: »

How can you tell which podcasts are downloaded to the watch and which are only playing because your connected to the phone? I select one, go out on a run without my phone, and 2 minutes later the podcast stops saying no internet connection, awful pain in the arse.

It's an awful, awful app. I've tried giving it a go on numerous occasions but always get frustrated when playlists don't play as they're supposed to. There are loads of much better apps out there for podcasting. I use RSSRadio which doesn't seem to be that popular but it does everything I need and is easy to use. Others will vouch for their favourites I'm sure.

Edit - should have said I sync mine over from the phone and never use as a stand-alone app without the phone so apologies if that’s what you meant.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,475 ✭✭✭DelBoy Trotter

I gave up trying after a couple of frustrating failed attempts. Like you, I wanted the podcasts on my watch for runs. I decided to give Overcast a go, and it's infinitely better, much easier to transfer to the watch

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭kittytwister

Can someone please advise. Thinking of purchasing an Apple Watch 5 in Uk with cellular. Will it work here, am on three network with iPhone 10. They told me at three that it should work but not convinced. If I go out for a walk or run can I receive calls, can I play music on earphones via bluetooth? as I am a premium subscriber to Spotify with 2 family members, is it a chore to change over to Apple Music as that seems more compatible with Apple Watch? Am I being foolish and should forget the whole idea ? Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 26,556 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

Watch will work but it won’t have any cellular connectivity. You won’t be able to make/receive phone calls using just the watch. Your iPhone will have to be within range.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭podge018

I gave up trying after a couple of frustrating failed attempts. Like you, I wanted the podcasts on my watch for runs. I decided to give Overcast a go, and it's infinitely better, much easier to transfer to the watch

Bit of a ****show since Overcast latest update. Can’t seem to send podcast to watch for offline listening any more. Lot of similar tales of woe on twitter. Any other apps able to do a similar good job that Overcast once done?

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭sean72

Bit of a ****show since Overcast latest update. Can’t seem to send podcast to watch for offline listening any more. Lot of similar tales of woe on twitter. Any other apps able to do a similar good job that Overcast once done?

Give Outcast a go, I find it the best solution for podcasts on Apple Watch

• Registered Users Posts: 3,614 ✭✭✭The Sparrow

sean72 wrote: »
    Give Outcast a go, I find it the best solution for podcasts on Apple Watch

Outcast is also what I use. Everything else seemed a disaster. Apple have really made what should be a straightforward task into an awful process.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,305 ✭✭✭splashthecash

Am thinking of jumping into the Apple watch pool for the first time and I see that Series 3 & 5 are currently available on line - given the 3 is currently 3 years old, is it still holding up or would I be safer getting the 5? Don't want to splash out if the features in the 5 aren't mind blowing

Also, why isn't the 4 available to buy anymore through Apple? Was it a bad seller?

Also, I don't necessarily want to have my iPhone beside me all the time to get max benefit of the watch - I presume aside from streaming music and phone calls\texts, there are still lots of ways to use it?

When you phone is on your person, does the watch piggy back on the iPhone's mobile internet connection?

I do a good bit of running, so am looking forward to going out with only the watch and earphones and listening to downloaded music\podcasts to the watch

• Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭PaulT21

Am thinking of jumping into the Apple watch pool for the first time and I see that Series 3 & 5 are currently available on line - given the 3 is currently 3 years old, is it still holding up or would I be safer getting the 5? Don't want to splash out if the features in the 5 aren't mind blowing

Also, why isn't the 4 available to buy anymore through Apple? Was it a bad seller?

Also, I don't necessarily want to have my iPhone beside me all the time to get max benefit of the watch - I presume aside from streaming music and phone calls\texts, there are still lots of ways to use it?

When you phone is on your person, does the watch piggy back on the iPhone's mobile internet connection?

I do a good bit of running, so am looking forward to going out with only the watch and earphones and listening to downloaded music\podcasts to the watch

My tuppence worth:D
    The Apple Watch is a great companion for the iPhone and is heavily dependant as a result. I have had a number of the watches and find them great. I currently wear the Series 4.

My wife has the series 3 and loves it. It will continue to be supported by  for some time I suspect. The Series 5 is basically the Series 4 with an AOD (Always On Display) It also has better processor and I think storage than the series 3.
    I didn't think the AOD was worth the upgrade!

As for using the watch for max benefit, there are apps for all sorts of things. How much benefit to a user is subjective! Apple Pay is great except BOI don't support it a far as I know. Most other banks do!

The Apple Watch will not stream Spotify without the phone when running but Apple Music works a dream and you just need to download your Apple Music Playlists and you can leave the phone at home. Podcasts are the same.

Hope this is of benefit and if you do get an  watch, I don't think you will regret it.:D

• Advertisement
Advertisement