Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Understanding Honor in Arab culture.

• 07-05-2019 5:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15,176 ✭✭✭✭

I was studying Arab culture and being given advice on how to respect the working culture of Arabs and Muslims.
    Obviously a huge topic.

Its a rich culture i admire and want to learn more about.

But one thing that constantly came up (and for Arab Jews Mizrahim/Christians also) was the idea of 'Honor'.

Infact Mizrahiam and Ashkenazi in Israel often have cultural differences because of this concept of honor etc. Ashkenazim can appear rude or curt or blunt when they think they are being forthright or lacking in loyalty or more accurately SENSITIVITY TO LOYALTY..

In particular that Arabs feel the west has insulted and shamed their culture.

The concept of 'face' and 'saving face'

I and my brothers against my cousins; I and my cousins against the stranger.

Honor is easily offended.Never refuse a gift etc. Never question the value of a gift or a gift that someone else gives an Arab you know.

Middle eastern notions of honor and insult appear to be different slightly.

One type of honor 'Sharaf' applies only to men. This means respecting their opinions.

It has often been said Arabs strive for honor NOT success or winning. They don't love to win they love honor.

I think this is a good thing. I think it's lacking in our culture etc. Taking pride in honor etc.

Can anyone elaborate?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭the14thwarrior

no i can't elaborate

• Registered Users Posts: 15,176 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

no i can't elaborate

Wrong forum??:o

The Islam forum is closed.

Mods can delete or move if it's in the wrong place.

Maybe humanities would be best.

BTW I hope its not offensive to anyone who is Arab or Muslim if it is please mods delete etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,939 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Why do Arabs think the west has insulted and shamed their culture? What is the basis for this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭Sonny noggs

Any mention of honor killings?

• Advertisement

Any mention of honor killings?

I don't consider that relevant to modern day Arabs quite frankly.

I dont consider it to a part of mainstream Arab culture at all. I know all Arabs would be appalled at it. As appalled as an American etc.

But its like how French culture is different from German culture etc.

Arab hospitality etc. Its unique.

I would like to treat it with the same respect as if we were talking about French culture etc and free from bigotry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭Sonny noggs

I know all Arabs would be appalled at it.

If ‘all Arabs’ are appalled by it then it wouldn’t happen, right? Or do you mean all Arabs you know would be appalled by it?

looksee wrote: »
    Why do Arabs think the west has insulted and shamed their culture? What is the basis for this?

Repeated colonization partic by the french and the British.

Also more recent events. Iraq etc ...

• Registered Users Posts: 13,096 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

I don't consider that relevant to modern day Arabs quite frankly.

I dont consider it to a part of mainstream Arab culture at all. I know all Arabs would be appalled at it.

But its like how French culture is different from German culture etc.

You don't consider honour killing a part of mainstream Arab culture?

If it 8s not mainstream, it is at least tolerated by mainstream.

Conversely french culture seems to be more respected than British speaking french etc.

• Advertisement

Danzy wrote: »
    You don't consider honour killing a part of mainstream Arab culture?

If it 8s not mainstream, it is at least tolerated by mainstream.

That is ridiculous. Of course it isn't.

It's like saying the IRA is tolerated by mainstream Irish people. We cant control everything and everyone in society.

My post has nothing to do with that topic i shan't be responding to posts that contain it.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,939 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Ah, ok I see what you are saying, though it seems like an odd way to describe a reaction to invasion and defeat, especially since Arabs have their own history of invading all around them. I suppose that (thinking it is odd) is the definition of cultural difference though.

looksee wrote: »
    Ah, ok I see what you are saying, though it seems like an odd way to describe a reaction to invasion and defeat, especially since Arabs have their own history of invading all around them. I suppose that (thinking it is odd) is the definition of cultural difference though.

I think you understand me completely.

Advertisement