Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin City

• 05-04-2003 6:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Might be of interest to people.

Dublin had a proposed re-design in the early 1900s, which never went ahead. Plans were to move the City Centre west to capel st and have o connel st more of a secondary role. A few satellite towns were going to be creates in Swords & Tallaght, to try prevent urban sprawl, & an underground was going to be built.

Shame it didn't happen, but fascinating reading. Guess what was going to be the centre piece of the city. :D

Scanned in article:
    http://www.multiblah.com/stuff/dublin/

- Kevin

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,731 ✭✭✭DadaKopf

Very Hausmann. Possibly as a precursor to that plan was the setting up of the Wide Roads Commission which lliterally did what it said on the tin - knocked down buildings to widen the streets. It wasn't finished though; a testament to that is the bottleneck where Stephen's Green meets Baggot St. Not sure what happened but I assume either a better more ambitious plan came along (like this Hausmann style one) or they simply ran out of money.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

Holy sh!t, my house would never have been built if that had've been completed.

Which means my mothers mother would never have lived here. Which means my mother would probably never have met my father.
    Which means I wouldn't exist.

Freaky.

Advertisement