Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Domestic Electricity Usage

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,733 ✭✭✭CoBo55

Been with Energia for about 2.5 years. I shop around every year. Went to change a few months ago and Energia came back with a counter offer so I stuck with them for another year.

Ha ha, did the very same myself I was moving and they offered me 37% discount so I stayed, I'm entering my sixth year with them. Nice to see a company making the effort to keep their customers.

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭Argo foc yourself

CoBo55 wrote: »
    Ha ha, did the very same myself I was moving and they offered me 37% discount so I stayed, I'm entering my sixth year with them. Nice to see a company making the effort to keep their customers.

yeah they offered me a discount too but only to match the other company. I said no. The next day they offered me a google home speaker too so I said ok!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,070 ✭✭✭✭KCross

CoBo55 wrote: »

What kWh rate does that equate to though?

Unless you compare actual rates it’s meaningless really.

I’m a very high electricity user (worth 4 or 5 of your average house) and I tell them I’m leaving every year unless they match the best offer from another provider and they never match it. So I always switch.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,532 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

KCross wrote: »
    What kWh rate does that equate to though?

1 unit = 1 kW for one hour.

All electricaty suppliers charge per unit (for domestic)
    Unless you compare actual rates it’s meaningless really.

That is what these guys are for.

So if you can reduce the units you consume and switch to the cheapest supplier it is not meaningless.

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭Argo foc yourself

2011 wrote: »

So if you can reduce the units you consume and switch to the cheapest supplier it is not meaningless.

I think I know what he means - some have a fee of 16 cent per unit but charge a standing charge of €100 whereas others might charge 20 cent per unit but no standing charge etc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,070 ✭✭✭✭KCross

I know all that. What I’m asking is what does his % discount actually get him in cent per kWh.

It’s the rate you need to quote, not the discount.

KCross wrote: »
    I know all that. What I’m asking is what does his % discount actually get him in cent per kWh.

It’s the rate you need to quote, not the discount.

13.86c per unit including vat.

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭t8010789

3 bed semi with gas central heating, electric hob and cooker, both washing machine and heat pump dryer on everyday for 3 young children. I’m currently averaging 9kw a day.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,822 ✭✭✭air

t8010789 wrote: »
    3 bed semi with gas central heating, electric hob and cooker, both washing machine and heat pump dryer on everyday for 3 young children. I’m currently averaging 9kw a day.

That's pretty economical given your stated occupancy and appliances.

air wrote: »

Probably a roof full of solar panels or speed dial to the local takeaway...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,532 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

air wrote: »

Remarkably so.
    I would question the accuracy of the meter or perhaps this is the net imported units and there is another source such as solar.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,466 ✭✭✭John.G

Two only in my house.
    3 bed semi with oil fired central heating, thermal solar panels supply all hot water needs from April to september, one washmachine/day & one dishwash/day., no clothes dryer. Average yearly daily usage 10.0 kwh/day.

Daily usage from Jan 1st to today.....11.79kwh/day.

5 in my house and 3 are teenagers :eek:
    1 to 2 working from home (it varies)
    4 bed detached with gas central heating (boiler isn't great) and wood burning stove.
    Clothers dryer is used far too much!
    Dishwasher and washing machine used once a day
    Electric hob & oven

Average for December was 20 units per day

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭monkeycork

I can't post links

but check this site out loads of money-saving deals including electricity and gas

https:// www. moneyguideireland. com/ electricity-prices

https://www.moneyguideireland.com/

they posted this recently

Energia Ireland Electricity Prices
    Posted on February 3, 2021
    energia ireland
    Updated February 8th 2021 –

The current Energia Promotional code for Electricity is – ELECTJUNE .
    This will get you 41% off their electricity rates for a year plus €35 cashback. Available only on the Energia Website.
    (You won’t get this deal with Bonkers or Switcher.)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,466 ✭✭✭John.G

5 in my house and 3 are teenagers :eek:
    1 to 2 working from home (it varies)
    4 bed detached with gas central heating (boiler isn't great) and wood burning stove.
    Clothers dryer is used far too much!
    Dishwasher and washing machine used once a day
    Electric hob & oven

Average for December was 20 units per day

We have had a solar clothes dryer for the past 50 years, its called a clothes line and super energy efficient, also provides a little exercise in taking the washing in and out between showers.

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭monkeycork

John.G wrote: »
    We have had a solar clothes dryer for the past 50 years, its called a clothes line and super energy efficient, also provides a little exercise in taking the washing in and out between showers.

Solar clothes dryer..... What a hipster ☀️☀️🀣🀣

Advertisement