Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Domestic Electricity Usage

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,350 ✭✭✭Lenar3556

I have to admit I never realised there was such variation in unit price charges between the various suppliers. For example I’m currently paying 0.1753c per unit. Energia seem to have a plan with 0.1143c per unit. There are some additional variations in standing charges etc but for my usage this is a big saving before doing anything else.

When I built my house I had intended putting in a night meter but my electrician advised against it at the time. I don’t recall the reason why mind you.

With the night rate (dual tarriff meter), you pay a slightly higher day time rate, a higher standing charge and then half price electricity during the off peak hours.

It can yield a saving, but you need to be quite disciplined to move consumption to the off peak hours as much as possible - otherwise it will end up more expensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,551 ✭✭✭Gooser14

You should still look at changing supplier but because of your low usage a supplier who offers cash back for signing up would better suit you. A simple spreadsheet detailing all options would help in deciding the best option.

Edit: For example, SSE Airtricity currently have a plan that gives a signing up welcome credit of Eur 200 (Eur 176.21 + Eur 23.79 VAT) & 10% discount provided you accept direct debit payment & ebilling.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,822 ✭✭✭air

The difference between day and night rates is such that if you use more than 2 units every night during the 9 hour night rate period you should be on dual tariff.
    8 units a night makes it a no brainer to be on dual tariff.
    Bonkers.ie is the best option for evaluating the different suppliers.
    I recently got a €150 credit to stay with my own dual fuel supplier for another year.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,738 ✭✭✭CoBo55

The meter has always been read albeit intermittently every year.

Thanks for all the contributions to this post. For extra information over the past 3-4 nights I have monitored my electricity usage when most electrical items have been switched off. I use 8 units overnight 10pm - 8am. So while the majority of electricity draw is during the day as expected, the residual overnight usage is not insignificant either.
    I expected the overnight use to be less but then I started to realise many items are plugged in 100% such as fridge/freezer, a separate stand-alone freezer, CCTV System / house alarm, internet router, water pump, outside sensor lights. I can do better here by putting some of above on timers etc.

Coupled with a bit more common sense and a better rate for electricity I’m sure we can make significant savings on what we currently pay.
    Thanks

I'd try turning off the pump for one night and see does it make a difference, I'm assuming it's a submersible so you've no priming or any messing to get it running in the morning. 8 units for those hours is a lot. I have one of those standby switches I got in Aldi years ago, you put it between the TV and the wall socket, when you switch the TV off after a few seconds it cuts the power. Pressing the power button on the remote wakes it up, I have it connected to a trailing socket so everything on it is shut down totally, radio, amp, etc.
    I read my meter at 11am and I'll read it again tomorrow and see what I'm using. A few shouts out of me into the bathroom has yielded good results in reducing shower duration times....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,105 ✭✭✭Ger Roe

CoBo55 wrote: »
    I'd try turning off the pump for one night and see does it make a difference, I'm assuming it's a submersible so you've no priming or any messing to get it running in the morning. 8 units for those hours is a lot. I have one of those standby switches I got in Aldi years ago, you put it between the TV and the wall socket, when you switch the TV off after a few seconds it cuts the power. Pressing the power button on the remote wakes it up, I have it connected to a trailing socket so everything on it is shut down totally, radio, amp, etc.
    I read my meter at 11am and I'll read it again tomorrow and see what I'm using. A few shouts out of me into the bathroom has yielded good results in reducing shower duration times....

Put a timer on the wall of the shower - I bought a battery powered cheap 'sucker stick' LCD timer online. One push of a button and it starts a ten minute countdown that ends in a beep alarm - time to get out then.

• Advertisement

Ger Roe wrote: »
    Put a timer on the wall of the shower - I bought a battery powered cheap 'sucker stick' LCD timer online. One push of a button and it starts a ten minute countdown that ends in a beep alarm - time to get out then.

Good idea, I'll have a look for one.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭SeanMacEoin

Good idea, I'll have a look for one.

Every little helps (Not intended to endorse Tesco!)

Every little helps (Not intended to endorse Tesco!)

Although they probably sell one...

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭glen123

When I built my house I had intended putting in a night meter but my electrician advised against it at the time. I don’t recall the reason why mind you.
    I think the Standing charge is higher when you have a Night meter which can negate the savings if you don't use much electricity during Night hours.

I have a Night meter but my washing machine/dishwasher both have timers and run only during the night so for me it makes sense to have it.

Your usage seems to be a bit high all right. We live in the newly built 2200sqr ft house, family of 5 (with 2 being teenagers so constantly on various gadgets etc) and currently using 14 units per day. This is with me working from home so my laptop, monitor is on all day. We never use immersion but electric showers are used daily, food is cooked several times a day. Also have spot lights in the kitchen but only use them in the evening when cooking, the rest of the time I just keep an industrial style little lamp on in the kitchen which is economical. The only thing we've trained the kids to turn off lights when they leave the room so we are never in a situation that there is nobody in the room and the light is on.

As for the pump, years ago we had an issue with ours and it was working non-stop and indeed our electricity usage went up that month significantly, so definitely smth to investigate.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,466 ✭✭✭John.G

The day rate is higher as well I think with night saver.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,070 ✭✭✭✭KCross

For extra information over the past 3-4 nights I have monitored my electricity usage when most electrical items have been switched off. I use 8 units overnight 10pm - 8am.

Thats too much for the items you have described. You are burning close to 800W on a constant basis as a background load. Should be half that. You have a rogue/hungry device somewhere.
    I'd try turning off the pump for one night and see does it make a difference...

+1

Prime culprit alright. After that start looking at the likes of heating pumps.

I completely agree, Iv isolated the pump on the stove now so let’s see over the next couple of days if that does the trick. I’m hopeful! Thanks

I completely agree, Iv isolated the pump on the stove now so let’s see over the next couple of days if that does the trick. I’m hopeful! Thanks

I meant your main water pump in the well. The circulation pump should turn off when the heating cools.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,350 ✭✭✭Lenar3556

KCross wrote: »
    Thats too much for the items you have described. You are burning close to 800W on a constant basis as a background load. Should be half that. You have a rogue/hungry device somewhere.

+1

Prime culprit alright. After that start looking at the likes of heating pumps.

Depending on the CCTV setup, you could have up to 200w there at night. Some cameras pull half an amp each at 12V to run the IR.

I meant your main water pump in the well. The circulation pump should turn off when the heating cools.

Got it. Isolated well pump now too. Thanks

Got it. Isolated well pump now too. Thanks

Looking forward to seeing if it makes a difference.

Will check my meter tomorrow just to see how many units I've used in 24 hours.

Looking forward to seeing if it makes a difference.

Will check my meter tomorrow just to see how many units I've used in 24 hours.

I asked my neighbour yesterday with a similar sized house to me to check his meter over 24 hours. Result: 13 units. Conclusion: I called him a miser and we had a good laugh.

Well that seems to be reasonably conclusive: with water well pump and heat pump isolated overnight 3 units used compared to 8 units on previous nights. Looks like we have narrowed it down. Thanks for your help - Much appreciated.

Well that seems to be reasonably conclusive: with water well pump and heat pump isolated overnight 3 units used compared to 8 units on previous nights. Looks like we have narrowed it down. Thanks for your help - Much appreciated.

That's a huge difference, my money is on the well pump. How to fix it is your next challenge. Outdoor toilet with a leaky ballcock would be my first port of call, if you have one.

That's a huge difference, my money is on the well pump. How to fix it is your next challenge. Outdoor toilet with a leaky ballcock would be my first port of call, if you have one.

Looks like you may be onto something with leaky ballcock. Iv just checked all toilets, an en-suite toilet (never used) has a leak. Judging by the witness mark it’s not recent and been there probably a few months at least. This all stacks up with the higher bills and likely to be the smoking gun. I’m going to sort out this leak today and continue to monitor. Great stuff. Thanks a mill.

• Advertisement

Looks like you may be onto something with leaky ballcock. Iv just checked all toilets, an en-suite toilet (never used) has a leak. Judging by the witness mark it’s not recent and been there probably a few months at least. This all stacks up with the higher bills and likely to be the smoking gun. I’m going to sort out this leak today and continue to monitor. Great stuff. Thanks a mill.

Nice one!! Just checked my 24 hour reading... 26 units, very depressing. Unfortunately I don't envisage an easy solution to getting a reduction. I'm on mains water.

Nice one!! Just checked my 24 hour reading... 26 units, very depressing. Unfortunately I don't envisage an easy solution to getting a reduction. I'm on mains water.

I hope you won’t be sitting in the dark on Christmas Day now trying to conserve electricity. All joking aside thanks for sharing your knowledge I’d have been forever trying to identify the issue on my own.

I hope you won’t be sitting in the dark on Christmas Day now trying to conserve electricity. All joking aside thanks for sharing your knowledge I’d have been forever trying to identify the issue on my own.

Nah, life's too short for that crack. No wonder energia won't let me leave:D They're like hotel California, every February I threaten to go to another provider, they tell me to stay and they continue to give me my 26% discount:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,702 ✭✭✭poker--addict

My Bill's earlier in the year were very high, got ratty with the electric company, said I wanted my meter calibrated, tried to put me off saying if it's not misreading we'll charge you €190, I said I'd chance it,anyway ESB fitted a second meter for a few weeks, Bill's have been much less since,

Did not know this was a thing? How would one check, were your bills way out?:confused:

😎

• Registered Users Posts: 3,466 ✭✭✭John.G

Was/is the original meter one of the new smart type?, you said the ESB fitted a second meter for a few weeks so is this the meter you are now using?.

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭Argo foc yourself

After reading this I am checking my own usage. It also seems high compared to national averages. I am guessing the jump from 2019 to 2020 is due to working from home etc. Still way above national average in 2019 though

Feb 2019 6370
    feb 2020 12273
    Feb 2021 19150

2020 - 6877 units - 573 units per month for 2020
    2019 - 5903 units - 491 units per month for 2019

After reading this I am checking my own usage. It also seems high compared to national averages. I am guessing the jump from 2019 to 2020 is due to working from home etc. Still way above national average in 2019 though

Feb 2019 6370
    feb 2020 12273
    Feb 2021 19150

Very similar to my usage. Who's your supplier? If you're out of contract there are great offers out there.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,532 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

I’m over 600 units per month at the moment. We have 5 in the house and 2 of us are working from home.

sorry I should have made it clearer. Those are the readings in Feb of each year so obviously they are increasing all the time.

Below are the usage figs

• Advertisement

Very similar to my usage. Who's your supplier? If you're out of contract there are great offers out there.

Been with Energia for about 2.5 years. I shop around every year. Went to change a few months ago and Energia came back with a counter offer so I stuck with them for another year.

Advertisement