Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

How long do you get out of a tent

• 06-11-2019 10:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,177 ✭✭✭

I bought a tent in 2016 and it is mostly OK except for some fancy plastic windows they put in it that have disintegrated. I have had loads of poles break in this tent which is mostly down to bad design bending them too much. If I buy a replacement pole I might get another bit out of it. Must have used it 20 or 30 times since I got it

How long do they usually last?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,367 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

I bought a tent in 2016 and it is mostly OK except for some fancy plastic windows they put in it that have disintegrated. I have had loads of poles break in this tent which is mostly down to bad design bending them too much. If I buy a replacement pole I might get another bit out of it. Must have used it 20 or 30 times since I got it

How long do they usually last?

What kind of tent is it? You'll find most high end tents don't bother with any windows as they don't last.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,177 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

iwillhtfu wrote: »
    What kind of tent is it? You'll find most high end tents don't bother with any windows as they don't last.

Vango nemesis

• Registered Users Posts: 6,367 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

Vango nemesis

Other than the window does it have any other issues? Seems to be a reasonable tent so might be worth saving. I have a couple of vangos I used to use and they've lasted a good while. The windows are obviously a weak point as they can crack if creased when packed away.

A good time to pick up a new tent though :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,602 ✭✭✭victor8600

I had until recently a 4-person McKinley tent bought in 1998. It had been used for 15-20 days a year. Fibre plastic poles never had a problem, tent itself was very robust too. The only problem it had developed after 18 years is the waterproofing tape which covered seems inside started to degrade.

iwillhtfu wrote: »
    Other than the window does it have any other issues? Seems to be a reasonable tent so might be worth saving. I have a couple of vangos I used to use and they've lasted a good while. The windows are obviously a weak point as they can crack if creased when packed away.

A good time to pick up a new tent though :D

Most of the individual sections of pole have cracks near the end so I'll have to cut a piece from each one and maybe add an extra section to bring it back to the original length. They are aluminium poles. Are they known for breaking easily in this manner?

Might get a halo 300 which uses similar poles but at least they're not bent as sharply

• Advertisement

victor8600 wrote: »
    I had until recently a 4-person McKinley tent bought in 1998. It had been used for 15-20 days a year. Fibre plastic poles never had a problem, tent itself was very robust too. The only problem it had developed after 18 years is the waterproofing tape which covered seems inside started to degrade.

That is fair going. Do they still make them?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,602 ✭✭✭victor8600

That is fair going. Do they still make them?

Yes, the brand still exists. Mine was similar to this one:
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/McKinley-Scape-Tent-Colour-900-Blue/dp/B00W5GSIMO

Advertisement