Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

27-05-2020, 17:36   #1
BonnieSituation

Changing tax class for 30yo vehicle

Howyiz!

So it's now that glorious time of 2020 where the Carina has turned 30, so it's time to get that sweet sweet €56.00 tax!

Looking at the RF111 do I fill in the "Other section" of PART 4?

https://www.motortax.ie/OMT/pdf/RF111_en.pdf
Thanks from:
Advertisement
27-05-2020, 17:46   #2
kdevitt

Send a message via Skype™ to kdevitt
Yes, just write in it that tax status should be amended to Vintage.
Thanks from:
27-05-2020, 17:48   #3
BonnieSituation

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdevitt View Post
Yes, just write in it that tax status should be amended to Vintage.
Cheers. That's what I was gonna do, but it seemed to "Irish" as a solution, so just had to make sure.
27-05-2020, 17:53   #4
antodeco
Warning: Contains traces of nuts

Just be aware that it's the 30th year but the 30th birthday. So if your car was originally registered in November 1990, it'll be 29 years old until that date
27-05-2020, 17:59   #5
BonnieSituation

Quote:
Originally Posted by antodeco View Post
Just be aware that it's the 30th year but the 30th birthday. So if your car was originally registered in November 1990, it'll be 29 years old until that date
Aye. It's an April reg. Do nae worry.
Thanks from:
Advertisement
27-05-2020, 19:38   #6
kdevitt

Quote:
Vintage tax status is based off manufacture date, not registration date. Done a few at this stage, all with a printed email from BMW with the date of manufacture on it.
Thanks from:
27-05-2020, 19:39   #7
kdevitt

Quote:
Originally Posted by BonnieSituation View Post
Cheers. That's what I was gonna do, but it seemed to "Irish" as a solution, so just had to make sure.
Is is a bit alright - I was a bit wary of the form being sent straight back to me the first time I did it.
Thanks from:
27-05-2020, 19:43   #8
BonnieSituation

Quote:
Vintage tax status is based off manufacture date, not registration date. Done a few at this stage, all with a printed email from BMW with the date of manufacture on it.
WHAT?

I could have had this done in November so! :O

Good to know now for any future oldie I change.
27-05-2020, 19:59   #9
JabbaTheHut

Quote:
I tried that. Was met as if I had two heads when I got to the tax office. Had a form to say when it was manufactured, from the manufacturer, but apparently they knew better and was told it was on the system as first registered. No real effort to help me.
Advertisement
27-05-2020, 21:19   #10
kdevitt

Quote:
Originally Posted by JabbaTheHut View Post
I tried that. Was met as if I had two heads when I got to the tax office. Had a form to say when it was manufactured, from the manufacturer, but apparently they knew better and was told it was on the system as first registered. No real effort to help me.
I've heard of one or two people saying that alright. Quite a few of the county councils have decent pages explicitly stating manufacture date on it - https://monaghan.ie/motortax/vintage/

Gov.ie page states it has to be over 30 years of age. I just post it off - saves the hassle!
Thanks from:
27-05-2020, 22:06   #11
w124man

Quote:
My 300SE will be 30 y/o on August 1st and I've had €56 road tax since January so what you say is incorrect!
28-05-2020, 12:26   #12
antodeco
Warning: Contains traces of nuts

Hmm. It seems it might depend who you get in the tax office. I've had to vintage tax 5 cars and each time was told I had to wait until the "anniversary date". Bastards!
Thanks from:
28-05-2020, 14:23   #13
JabbaTheHut

Quote:
Hmm. It seems it might depend who you get in the tax office. I've had to vintage tax 5 cars and each time was told I had to wait until the "anniversary date". Bastards!
You must be meeting the same people I do.
Thanks from:
28-05-2020, 20:37   #14
turbocab

so which is it ,date of manufacture ,or date of first registration,also that rf 111 form does not have on a change to vintage tax on the form
28-05-2020, 20:53   #15
kdevitt

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbocab View Post
so which is it ,date of manufacture ,or date of first registration,also that rf 111 form does not have on a change to vintage tax on the form
Thats literally the question that the OP asked - you have to fill in the Other box on the form and state that the car should be on vintage tax.

Its date of manufacture - virtually every county council in the country states date on manufacture on their websites, the gov.ie says the car has to be 30 years of age. Nowhere mentions date of reg.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion