Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

22-05-2020, 17:48   #16
Max Headroom

Quote:
Originally Posted by ?Cee?view View Post
40 years ago

....AND....??????????? whats your point....
Advertisement
22-05-2020, 17:50   #17
Max Headroom

Quote:
Originally Posted by kadman View Post
Even at 50 quid an hour, you can see how the costs mount up.

Thats 2 k a week before any consumables.

You wont get cheap restorations, and why should you. You are paying for a particular skilset

and that costs money. You would not seek out a cheap brain surgeon if you needed one

Its hardly brain surgery now is it....its painting....
Thanks from:
22-05-2020, 21:04   #18
kadman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Headroom View Post
Its hardly brain surgery now is it....its painting....

Of course you could paint it yourself with a roller....boss
23-05-2020, 09:07   #19
Max Headroom

Having painted a kit-car in my crappy garage and am currently repairing AND spraying in my front garden, believe me its not even rocket science...prep is the key.....anybody can do it....
23-05-2020, 10:27   #20
kadman

In all fairness there is a world of difference in both finish and price of front garden repairs and resprays

and pro body shop repair and resprays. Chalk and cheese.

But if you dont need a concourse result , then nothing wrong with it.

Painting is not rocket science or brain surgery, but it took a master with a brush to paint

the ceiling of the old chapel
Thanks from:
Advertisement
23-05-2020, 13:04   #21
Max Headroom

I must be a master then.........I had better finishes than some exhibit cars at Terenure....
23-05-2020, 16:44   #22
kadman

Quote:
I must be a master then.........I had better finishes than some exhibit cars at Terenure....

24-05-2020, 10:48   #23
Max Headroom

To answer the OP's initial query, are you sure the car is worth spend 000's on...the cost of rechroming is also a BIG factor, then theres the upholstery,door cards,carpets, electricks, safety belts , and dont forget the engine/box.......sometimes its just better to buy one that someone else has got fed up with........what car is it..??
Thanks from:
25-05-2020, 15:48   #24
_ptashek_

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoodie6029 View Post
Some people have taken to shipping their cars to Poland for restoration. Might be an option since you're not in a rush.
Doctorclassic.eu and many others offer this service

I have, but the only saving is on labour rate, and not much these days if you want a quality job. I would account for €25/h at a minimum. I've paid less only because my dad knew the workshop owner for 30+ years. Anything that needed to be outsourced still cost full-price, e.g. restoring the chrome bumpers on my W116 alone was three(ish) grand.

If you're sourcing parts locally too, VAT and shipping costs savings can add up to a couple grand on a big project.

My car (gold 450SE) was on the MB club stand in Terenure last year, and most people seemed to have liked the quality of the job done. Four years later it's just as good.

Anyone dreaming of restoring a classic for five grand needs a reality check. Unless it's already mint and you're just sorting out minor cosmetics, it's never going to happen.

Also, any workshop giving a quote on a job like this upfront is best avoided. They've no idea what they're doing
Thanks from:
Advertisement
18-06-2020, 16:42   #25
bluesteely

Quote:
Originally Posted by McOptimist View Post
I have a car that I'd like to get restored. Would anyone have recommendations in and around the Dublin area?

The body is in fairly good condition. Main rust is around wheel arches. I've two new panels for front wheel arches so it's only rear that needs serious work.

Apart from the rear wheel arches it's just basically a full stripping down and respray that I need.

It's not something I have any time lines on so I'm happy to leave it with someone for few months so they can tip away at it, to keep costs down.
If distance isn't too important, take a look at Lyons Garages in Co. Clare
Thanks from:
20-06-2020, 10:59   #26
galwaytt

Send a message via Skype™ to galwaytt
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesteely View Post
If distance isn't too important, take a look at Lyons Garages in Co. Clare
Can't believe I've never come across them before- anyone got experience of their work ?
20-06-2020, 11:32   #27
?Cee?view

Quote:
Originally Posted by galwaytt View Post
Can't believe I've never come across them before- anyone got experience of their work ?
Have a look at his blogs as well as Facebook page. They seem to do lovely work. I’ve not met them but very helpful with advice via email and what to expect costs wise.
Thanks from:
22-06-2020, 15:56   #28
galwaytt

Send a message via Skype™ to galwaytt
Quote:
No decent bodyshop wants to (or needs to) do work on old cars..theyre getting stupid money from insurance companies for minor tips..so why should they bother....they need a wake up call...maybe this situation will help...I had a MK3 Cortins repaired and full respray (metallic bronze) done for £400 back in the 80's....i dont know how thay can charge 5-8k for a weeks work...maybe because some people are willing to pay it...
Quote:
Originally Posted by kadman View Post
Even at 50 quid an hour, you can see how the costs mount up.

Thats 2 k a week before any consumables.

You wont get cheap restorations, and why should you. You are paying for a particular skilset

and that costs money. You would not seek out a cheap brain surgeon if you needed one
£400 in the '80s. What the sweet Jeebus has that got to do with anything ? I was paid £1.50 an hour in 1984, so are you telling me that's relevant now too ?

Fwiw, I'm currently looking to get a (classic) repainted, and I cut/paste one of the prices I got here:

"I don’t see a repaint on the (car) coming in at any less than 160hrs by the time the car is stripped of all trim, bumpers, lights, mirrors, glass removed, doors off, etc, then stonechips sanded out, dings repaired, primed, rubbed down, painted, lacquered, flat and polished, and all put back together again.

That gives a minimum of €8000 labour plus approx €1200 in materials and then 13.5% Vat on top.
"

So, €50/hr then. Sounds not unreasonable that way (when you see main dealers charging nigh on 3-figure sums p/hr for servicing), but it's the sheer amount of work - hours - that's the killer. It's not the rate.
Thanks from:
22-06-2020, 16:00   #29
?Cee?view

Quote:
Originally Posted by galwaytt View Post

So, €50/hr then. Sounds not unreasonable that way (when you see main dealers charging nigh on 3-figure sums p/hr for servicing), but it's the sheer amount of work - hours - that's the killer. It's not the rate.
Completely agree. Can't see how people can't get this through their heads
(2) thanks from:
22-06-2020, 16:58   #30
chillyspoon

Armstrong's in Co. Wicklow are another option, although I know they have one very fancy (not mine) and one the opposite of fancy (mine) cars in at the moment for significant body restoration work: http://www.armstrongbodyrepairs.ie/craftsmen.php, so there might be a long lead time!

Agree with everything the guys have said about about realistic pricing. E.g. if you've bought an MG Midget with what looks like minor tin worm for a few grand, you'll be putting at least 5k in to come out of the project with the rust sorted and a modern (i.e. better than factory) level paint job at the end of it. Note; I'm completely excluding engine, electrics, running gear etc.

If your car happens to be Porsche; Jon Miller is fantastic: http://www.classiccarworkshop.ie/index.html
.. I think he does Ferrari and Jag stuff too.

Last edited by chillyspoon; 22-06-2020 at 17:06. Reason: I can't get sentences the right way around!
(2) thanks from:

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion