Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

18-04-2020, 22:47   #31
Oops!

And used to go through wheel bearings as often as a set of plugs!
Advertisement
18-04-2020, 22:50   #32
BrianD3

Quote:
Originally Posted by colm_mcm View Post
Not sure now - my initial reaction was that those are not Renault alloys but maybe I'm being fooled by the missing? centre caps and my own fading memories.
18-04-2020, 22:58   #33
colm_mcm

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianD3 View Post
Not sure now - my initial reaction was that those are not Renault alloys but maybe I'm being fooled by the missing? centre caps and my own fading memories.
These seem familiar
https://www.adverts.ie/car/renault/1...lt-19/13958622
18-04-2020, 22:59   #34
BrianD3

Quote:
Originally Posted by colm_mcm View Post
Those are phase 2 16v wheels - 15 inch
(2) thanks from:
19-04-2020, 00:26   #35
kev1.3s

Quote:
Originally Posted by road_high View Post
They were very popular in Ireland, they were big enough to offer the same for a family as a Sierra or Vectra class. The spec was decent for the time like electric windows etc
80 bhp in the 1.4l was probably alright for the time too.
This was always the case with Renault back then, I remembered my aunt had a renault 18 and it was the first car I remembered to have central locking and electric windows. I even remember the lock pin was red and popped up and down in a clear plastic dome. Ultimate cool to a 10 or 11 year old me.
Thanks from:
Advertisement
19-04-2020, 00:41   #36
Corradobri

Quote:
Originally Posted by kev1.3s View Post
This was always the case with Renault back then, I remembered my aunt had a renault 18 and it was the first car I remembered to have central locking and electric windows. I even remember the lock pin was red and popped up and down in a clear plastic dome. Ultimate cool to a 10 or 11 year old me.
Must have been a R18 GTL or GTS if it had central locking, we had a base TL at home and I remember being jealous of the higher spec 18,s with the fancy central locking with the red pin lol , they also had electric front windows and headlamps wipers !
Thanks from:
19-04-2020, 14:47   #37
BrianD3

I was surprised at how much interest there was in this thread, lots of people have good memories of them and they were a pretty popular van and car (while not selling in the number that Corollas did) back in the day.

Extrapolating from Howmanyleft.co.uk, there are probably less than 20 of all versions combined left on the road here. As with many late 80s/90s cars, rust resistance was good up to point but that point was passed a long time ago. The Megane Mk1, in particular the phase 2 is proving to be considerably more rust resistant than the R19 was at the same age. Even these are becoming an uncommon sight on our roads now.
19-04-2020, 16:10   #38
kev1.3s

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corradobri View Post
Must have been a R18 GTL or GTS if it had central locking, we had a base TL at home and I remember being jealous of the higher spec 18,s with the fancy central locking with the red pin lol , they also had electric front windows and headlamps wipers !
Would have been a high spec model alright, my aunt definitely would have been the hyacinth bouquet of the family
19-04-2020, 16:17   #39
kev1.3s

Quote:
I was surprised at how much interest there was in this thread, lots of people have good memories of them and they were a pretty popular van and car (while not selling in the number that Corollas did) back in the day.

Extrapolating from Howmanyleft.co.uk, there are probably less than 20 of all versions combined left on the road here. As with many late 80s/90s cars, rust resistance was good up to point but that point was passed a long time ago. The Megane Mk1, in particular the phase 2 is proving to be considerably more rust resistant than the R19 was at the same age. Even these are becoming an uncommon sight on our roads now.
The mk1 megane was a horrible looking thing in comparison to the 19.
Advertisement
19-04-2020, 16:20   #40
Oops!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kev1.3s View Post
The mk1 megane was a horrible looking thing in comparison to the 19.
It was a horrible thing in every way... It was a step backwards from the 19.
Thanks from:
19-04-2020, 19:18   #41
RandomViewer

Quote:
Anyone here own a 19 or have a fetish for them. Are they starting to appear at classic car shows - many phase 1s are now old enough for classic status.

The 19 16v "valver" was one of the most well regarded hot hatches of the 90s but I only ever saw a handful on the roads in this country and am not sure if they were ever officially sold here.

The 1.7 8v and 1.8 8v were also not sold here. So here it was basically 1.4s and diesels.

The highest spec phase 1 1.4 was the TSE, I always thought these were very nice especially as a Chamade and in a nice metallic. They had the all important yellow foglights, velour armchairs, electric sunroof, dinky 13 inch Zenith alloys . I wonder do any survive. Chamades/4 doors were uncommon in the UK due to their preference for hatchbacks. Howmanyleft suggests that 4 door TSE and TXEs (1.7) are virtually extinct in the UK with 5 door cars not far off it.

There was an Irish brochure on ebay recently, pics below.

1.7 were badged GTX, they hadthe4 bar rear axel, sold poorly here
19-04-2020, 19:24   #42
RandomViewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by road_high View Post
They were very popular in Ireland, they were big enough to offer the same for a family as a Sierra or Vectra class. The spec was decent for the time like electric windows etc
80 bhp in the 1.4l was probably alright for the time too.
Didn't really take many buyers from Ford or Opel, 88 to 95 Vectra/Cavalier was a very good car, most buyers came from the R9/11, Peugeot and Fiat, you'd get the odd Japanese owner but they rarely kept them long
19-04-2020, 19:26   #43
RandomViewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oops! View Post
And used to go through wheel bearings as often as a set of plugs!
Doorlocks and anti roll bushes were also issues, Diesels ate front brake pads every 15_20 k
19-04-2020, 19:28   #44
RandomViewer

Quote:
Renault big claim at the time was that it had the lowest development budget of any model, the bolted shut doors on the van version were truly tacky
19-04-2020, 19:28   #45
RandomViewer

Quote:
Renault big claim at the time was that it had the lowest development budget of any model, the bolted shut doors on the van version were truly tacky

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion