Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

30-11-2019, 20:24   #31
outfox

This thread should be a sticky.
Advertisement
01-12-2019, 00:01   #32
JabbaTheHut

Quote:
Originally Posted by alfa beta View Post
He was a genius, a hard worker, an entrepreneur (before the word became trendy) and thrifty as hell when it came to watching the pennies.
Sounds like a lot of dads back then. They would have remembered the war, and know what it was like to use straw instead of tubes in bicycles, and also what it was like to make do with what you had. As well as that, things were built without built-in-obsolescence, so repair was a good option, and in most cases, was the only option.

Only thing I'll say is, for a man that watched the pennies, he didn't watch much of them when he bought what would not have been a cheap car, and then just let it sit. There was a lot of pennies in that parking spot. All I know is, my father would most certinaly not have done that. Fair play to your father and his achievements, but very very, VERY few people could afford to do that.

Regardless, my intention is not to take away from any of your post. A car with as little miles as yours is truly unique
Thanks from:
01-12-2019, 10:29   #33
Bitten & Hisses

Thing is, this car with its back story might be most valuable if it was displayed as-is and never touched!
(Not that I think it’s the best approach, just might be the most financially rewarding)
Thanks from:
01-12-2019, 12:46   #34
John Hutton

OP should give us little crypic pictures of parts of the car each day until the full reveal on Xmas day.

A boards classic car Advent calendar
01-12-2019, 13:28   #35
Markcheese

https://youtu.be/YEJxc1r_dtI

Johnny Smith formerly of 5th gear, similar (ish)
Situation... Think it might be a 2 part video...
(3) thanks from:
Advertisement
01-12-2019, 18:35   #36
alfa beta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bitten & Hisses View Post
Thing is, this car with its back story might be most valuable if it was displayed as-is and never touched!
(Not that I think it’s the best approach, just might be the most financially rewarding)

Yeah - I was thinking that recently. I mean, the minute it's registered and used on the road and stuff it just becomes another car .. .albeit an old one. The novelty of it being brand new, untouched and 100% original is what's interesting about it. Perhaps I should get two 'FOR REG' plates made and keep it that way. Just focus on getting it running and not worry about the tax/reg side of things.
01-12-2019, 18:44   #37
alfa beta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfasudcrazy View Post
Such a fascinating story. If you ever get weary of the ordeal I would gladly buy it as is and try to get it on the road myself. Have you any idea which 504 model it is L or GL etc. Obviously you know the colour and seat trim?

It's black with a lightish brown leather interior as far as I remember (but I'm only going by memory as I haven't uncovered it in a few years).

Don't know what model it is, just that it's a diesel car, which I guess wouldn't have been too common in Ireland in 1976.

Will be in a position to have a look at the car some evening this week so will post photos :-)
01-12-2019, 19:46   #38
mickdw

Quote:
Yeah - I was thinking that recently. I mean, the minute it's registered and used on the road and stuff it just becomes another car .. .albeit an old one. The novelty of it being brand new, untouched and 100% original is what's interesting about it. Perhaps I should get two 'FOR REG' plates made and keep it that way. Just focus on getting it running and not worry about the tax/reg side of things.
Or as used to be the case here, FOR REG scribbled across the plate position.
02-12-2019, 20:15   #39
airnwater

Quote:
Surprising what still survives !

My father had one back in the day , a white LD ,1.9 diesel afaik , b*tch to start !

Really like your thinking in the above post , it's very likely unique as an unused RHD car , would be a pity to put miles on it. A very low miles car is different , adding a few miles wouldn't matter too much.

Clean it , wax the original paint & preserve it , perhaps wax injection in cavities to make sure no rust works its way out.

Be sure & take pics of it amongst the "clutter" & more as it's uncovered

Transport it to a few shows perhaps (rope it off !) with display cards giving the back story to the car , bio of your father & photos too. Definitely would generate lots of interest.

It would be interesting to research the supplying dealership for sure.
Advertisement
03-12-2019, 12:13   #40
Alfasudcrazy

I am sure some Peugeot dealer would love it for a showroom display car.
(4) thanks from:
03-12-2019, 23:55   #41
galwaytt

Send a message via Skype™ to galwaytt
Quote:
He was a genius, a hard worker, an entrepreneur (before the word became trendy)
Gosh OP - sorry for your loss, but your story sounds like a life well lived.

And got me to thinking about my Dad.....still with us, but Def a man of his own mind. He too is....eccentric. ....and inclined to collect all manner of stuff. Cars, farm machinery, etc. Last time I checked there were.....22 cars at home.....originally a boat builder and carpenter he went through lots of phases. ...and he plays music as well. We, my generation, really haven't a fraction of the talent our parents had: much of theirs learned by economic necessity.

He lives frugally, has no interest in creature comforts. He buys cars no one wants, cos he likes them. S-Class. 7-Series. LS400. etc etc. He bought an 02 540i a while ago. "Why?" I asked......."because I've always wanted to see the inside of a V8" came the reply....

He's why I'm a petrol head. And builder. And.....everything else..

Must pop over again. Mustn't leave things unsaid. Life's too short.

I'll deal with the collection when the time is right.

Thanks for the reminder.

Last edited by galwaytt; 03-12-2019 at 23:58.
04-12-2019, 11:02   #42
alfa beta

Quote:
Originally Posted by galwaytt View Post
Must pop over again. Mustn't leave things unsaid. Life's too short.

That's lovely Galwaytt.

I never thought my post would turn in to an 'Eccentric Dad Appreciation' thread, but I'm glad it has. It seems there were (and still are in your case) quite a few geniuses, nut jobs, and hoarders out there. I think we owe it to them to uphold their legacy into the future by ignoring logic and rationale, hanging onto as much junk as we possibly can and trying to fix things wherever even vaguely feasible.

Do that, and I'm pretty sure there'll be a few ould fellas smiling down on us
04-12-2019, 17:01   #43
Wibbs
Wibbed for your pleasure.

Quote:
ignoring logic and rationale, hanging onto as much junk as we possibly can and trying to fix things wherever even vaguely feasible.
Welcome to my life.
05-12-2019, 20:21   #44
mgbgt1978

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isambard View Post
my bet is that a 1976 car would have been "FOR REG" and a number allocated. How you find out, I don't know.

Prior to the introduction of VRT a new car did not get a Reg number until it was taxed for the 1st time. Many people got the Dealer to Tax their new car prior to collection, and consequently it had a number when they picked it up. Many didn't .

The Beauty of driving around with "For Reg" was that you were avoiding Motor Tax (at least until some Guard decided you were taking the p!ss, and threatened to Fine you).

If the OP's Father's Car does not have number plates then it's probable that it was never registered and does not have a number assigned to it. As already mentioned this technically makes it a 'new' car and it is subject to VRT if the OP wishes to register it.
(4) thanks from:
06-12-2019, 12:32   #45
Markcheese

So would that make it a 201 car if it was registered for the first time next year ..?
(4) thanks from:

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion