Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Bought a car on auction in UK without v5

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭jlow1

galwaytt wrote: »
    car will have to go back to UK to get a new V5C. NI an option ??

I still don't understand how people are still getting caught with this. RoI drivers have been. importing cars from UK forever: this is not new.

And the new V5C even has it written on it that it MUST be given to a person exporting it so that it can be re-reg'd in the new owners country.

Does no one read anything anymore ??

DVLA used to issue a permanent export cert up until September this year to ROI drivers, now they don't so hence why the increase of people in this predicament.

I bought a car in Scotland last Saturday and the great fella i dealt with knew exactly the craic and gave me the complete V5C including the export section of it as he knows the VRT send them off to the DVLA once you clear the car here.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,796 ✭✭✭Isambard

jlow1 wrote: »
    I am well aware of that - see other thread - there is no reason why they cant send one to the dealer that sold the car though is there?
    I assume they just don't issue them to people outside of the UK.

you assume wrong, they don't issue them anymore full stop.

jlow1 wrote: »
    DVLA used to issue a permanent export cert up until September this year to ROI drivers, now they don't so hence why the increase of people in this predicament.

I bought a car in Scotland last Saturday and the great fella i dealt with knew exactly the craic and gave me the complete V5C including the export section of it as he knows the VRT send them off to the DVLA once you clear the car here.

they haven't issued them since February.

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭jlow1

Isambard wrote: »
    they haven't issued them since February.

strange as i got one in March and they told me on the phone September.

In fact it was 14th January. See first post this thread

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4 driver83

Hi. I in the same situation now,
    bought car 28.01.2020 and previous owner send V5C to DVLA,
    I contact DVLA and in they system is now mark as permanently exported...
    HAS ANYONE SOLVED THE PROBLEM HOW TO REGISTER IN IRELAND ???

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭supervento

driver83 wrote: »
    Hi. I in the same situation now,
    bought car 28.01.2020 and previous owner send V5C to DVLA,
    I contact DVLA and in they system is now mark as permanently exported...
    HAS ANYONE SOLVED THE PROBLEM HOW TO REGISTER IN IRELAND ???

You need someone that lives in the Uk to fill in v62 form and send it to dvla in their name and address... take 4-6 weeks for new v5

• Registered Users Posts: 12,761 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

supervento wrote: »
    You need someone that lives in the Uk to fill in v62 form and send it to dvla in their name and address... take 4-6 weeks for new v5

if it's marked as exported by DVLA, then, to get a new V5C with number, you're going to have to present the car to a UK centre for visual inspection as well

Back to my earlier question: does nobody read anything anymore? ?

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 1,296 ✭✭✭CPTM

if it's marked as exported by DVLA, then, to get a new V5C with number, you're going to have to present the car to a UK centre for visual inspection as well

What are you trying to gain on this thread with that second question? Are you trying to give out to us or something? I read a lot, I just didnt see originals were required. Many people are saying visual inspection may not be required in all cases.

CPTM wrote: »
    What are you trying to gain on this thread with that second question? Are you trying to give out to us or something? I read a lot, I just didnt see originals were required. Many people are saying visual inspection may not be required in all cases.

he actually quoted the guy saying you need form V62 which isn't the case I believe with an export-marked car. Whether you can do this without an inspection remains to be seen. You won't find a definitive answer on here.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 2,957 Mod ✭✭✭✭macplaxton

you're going to have to present the car to a UK centre for visual inspection as well

Re: Imports/re-imports into UK.

That hasn't happened for a long time (since they closed all the local DVLA offices). Now they when they do want to do an inspection, they send SGS round to the applicant's (UK) address to look at it. So yes, and equal problem, but it's not like the old days when it had to be taken to a DVLA local office and someone came out to look.

I'd suggest, ring the DVLA to see what they say?

This was not the case for a friend of mine in a similar situation last year..

He purchased a vintage car in the uk. The export slip was sent off by the previous keeper (confirmed with seller he sent it in). Around 3 months later he went in to vrt it and because the bottom of the v5 was damaged and missing some document numbers he had to get a new v5. He simply transferred the vehicle into a family members name and address in the Uk and the dvla sent out a v5 in two weeks.... simple..

supervento wrote: »
    This was not the case for a friend of mine in a similar situation last year..

He purchased a vintage car in the uk. The export slip was sent off by the previous keeper (confirmed with seller he sent it in). Around 3 months later he went in to vrt it and because the bottom of the v5 was damaged and missing some document numbers he had to get a new v5. He simply transferred the vehicle into a family members name and address in the Uk and the dvla sent out a v5 in two weeks.... simple..

was it marked as exported on the system though? easy thing to check. Maybe the slip went astray

Isambard wrote: »
    was it marked as exported on the system though? easy thing to check. Maybe the slip went astray

Yes according to the vehicle enquiry checker it was marked as exported.

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭mac_daddy

I am unfortunately now in the same position as some folks here. Dealer sent slip to DVLA. I tried to register the car here last week and told I need the full log book. Contacted dealer who contacted the DVLA. The DVLA confirmed that they will now destroy the VC5 as it has left the country. Not sure what path to follow to get it resolved. My parents live up north which might be one helpful thing. I have a few queries if folks wouldn't mind sending back their thoughts.

1. Am I at risk of the car getting impounded if I am stopped by a guard for having an English reg. I legitimately want to pay the damn fee which is frustrating!
    2. Would my car be classed as exported by the DVLA if they destroyed the original? If so I guessing I cannot request a new cert and would have to import it into my old man's name up north. Then take the new VC5 slip he receives and bring it to the NCT office to get registered. Pretty sure all this won't be resolved quickly and will have well exceeded the 30 day deadline which has me super anxious.

Thanks!

mac_daddy wrote: »
    I am unfortunately now in the same position as some folks here. Dealer sent slip to DVLA. I tried to register the car here last week and told I need the full log book. Contacted dealer who contacted the DVLA. The DVLA confirmed that they will now destroy the VC5 as it has left the country. Not sure what path to follow to get it resolved. My parents live up north which might be one helpful thing. I have a few queries if folks wouldn't mind sending back their thoughts.

1. Am I at risk of the car getting impounded if I am stopped by a guard for having an English reg. I legitimately want to pay the damn fee which is frustrating!
    2. Would my car be classed as exported by the DVLA if they destroyed the original? If so I guessing I cannot request a new cert and would have to import it into my old man's name up north. Then take the new VC5 slip he receives and bring it to the NCT office to get registered. Pretty sure all this won't be resolved quickly and will have well exceeded the 30 day deadline which has me super anxious.

Thanks!

I would get on to the garage to see if they can help get it re-registered in your fathers name in the north. I threatened legal action with the garage, and told them it's a reasonable expectation from a consumer perspective for a garage to know and follow a process which allows the purchaser to drive the car in their own name. I'm sure many on here are dying to jump up and point the finger and say that isn't the case and the onus was on me, but, it worked for me and the garage seems to have done all the paperwork to re-register the car in my name at my sister's address in London. We're just in week 2 after those documents and cheque was submitted to the DVLA. I think we have to wait 3 or 4, and with this Coronavirus that might take longer.

Edit: You'd be very unlucky for a Garda not to understand your situation. Keep a record of all emails showing you're doing your best to get things resolved.

You can check here if the car is listed as exported or not:

https://vehicleenquiry.service.gov.uk/

I would get on to the garage to see if they can help get it re-registered in your fathers name in the north. I threatened legal action with the garage, and told them it's a reasonable expectation from a consumer perspective for a garage to know and follow a process which allows the purchaser to drive the car in their own name. I'm sure many on here are dying to jump up and point the finger and say that isn't the case and the onus was on me, but, it worked for me and the garage seems to have done all the paperwork to re-register the car in my name at my sister's address in London. We're just in week 2 after those documents and cheque was submitted to the DVLA. I think we have to wait 3 or 4, and with this Coronavirus that might take longer.

Edit: You'd be very unlucky for a Garda not to understand your situation. Keep a record of all emails showing you're doing your best to get things resolved.

You can check here if the car is listed as exported or not:

https://vehicleenquiry.service.gov.uk/

This is great info. Thanks very much for the reply. Hope you get yours sorted soon!

I spoke with the UK dealer. As they have a scanned copy of the original logbook (vc5) they will reregister the vehicle with the DVLA in my name and at their premises. They can do this online and expect it to be 4 working days. Then they will send it to me by recorded delivery. Hopefully this all goes to plan and it's an end to this rediculous saga. Hope this information helps others that end up in this situation too.

I spoke with the UK dealer. As they have a scanned copy of the original logbook (vc5) they will reregister the vehicle with the DVLA in my name and at their premises. They can do this online and expect it to be 4 working days. Then they will send it to me by recorded delivery. Hopefully this all goes to plan and it's an end to this rediculous saga. Hope this information helps others that end up in this situation too.

That's good news because theres a lot of paperwork involved there as far as I could see. So it's good they're taking that on. Best of luck with the next few steps.

Do you think the government will relax any fines for people who are struggling to rectify this situation due to Covid 19? I'm still trying to get the car registered in my sisters name in London. There was a bit of back and forth between herself and the DVLA a few weeks back when they asked for more details. Now I'm not even sure if the DVLA is open and running. In a few weeks, I'll be 3 months unregistered.

• Advertisement

Do you think the government will relax any fines for people who are struggling to rectify this situation due to Covid 19? I'm still trying to get the car registered in my sisters name in London. There was a bit of back and forth between herself and the DVLA a few weeks back when they asked for more details. Now I'm not even sure if the DVLA is open and running. In a few weeks, I'll be 3 months unregistered.
    To be honest, everything is so up in the air at the moment. I would expect they have not finalised rules being relaxed or widened but would think they would get to this at some point. It would be harder for them to fine you under the current circumstances. If you could maybe prove that you have been trying to get it resolved that might help. Hard to do that though with everything shutdown though. Perhaps if you sent emails to the VRT contact address you could use those as evidence.

To be honest, everything is so up in the air at the moment. I would expect they have not finalised rules being relaxed or widened but would think they would get to this at some point. It would be harder for them to fine you under the current circumstances. If you could maybe prove that you have been trying to get it resolved that might help. Hard to do that though with everything shutdown though. Perhaps if you sent emails to the VRT contact address you could use those as evidence.

Yes, I just hope they won't think I brought the car into the state in January and I'm using the virus as an excuse for my complacency. I'm not sure they'll read through all my emails to the garage asking for updates. If they do come up with a rule, it will probably be for cars brought in after a certain date (whenever the virus took hold here) , without thinking about cases like this where people had to resolve logbook issues for cars brought in shortly before that.

Did you get yours sorted mac_daddy? My sister got flipping coronavirus and so couldn't post the documents and now the DVLA are not accepting paper registrations.

Does anyone know if it's possible to do all this re-registration online with the DVLA?

How do I calculate how much I will be fined per month in worst case scenario?

Did you get yours sorted mac_daddy? My sister got flipping coronavirus and so couldn't post the documents and now the DVLA are not accepting paper registrations.

Does anyone know if it's possible to do all this re-registration online with the DVLA?

How do I calculate how much I will be fined per month in worst case scenario?

I did get sorted in the end. It was really worrying me but I got lucky to get it over the line before all of this. In the back of my mind though I did think that if it did drag out, as long as I could show I was trying to sort it I would not get any hassle from the department. The dealer I bought the car off were able to register it in my name at their address. I believe they did it online. They then posted the full cert to me by recorded delivery and I went to the VRT office and managed to get it registered here. Was it a private sale for yourself or from a dealer? If it was a dealer I would pressurise them into getting a new cert.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭cav93

CPTM did you get this resolved and get the v5? I'm in a very similar situation to you, bought a van off a guy who originally bought it off a ni auction without the v5. When I bought the van I had no idea the process was so complicated, but I have sent away the v62 form with my friends address in Derry, so hoping that works. Did u have any more hassle at all?

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭cav93

CPTM did you get this resolved and get the v5? I'm in a very similar situation to you, bought a van off a guy who originally bought it off a ni auction without the v5. When I bought the van I had no idea the process was so complicated, but I have sent away the v62 form with my friends address in Derry, so hoping that works. Did u have any more hassle at all?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭billy few mates

cav93 wrote: »

So just to be clear, I'm about to pick up a vehicle from NI this week and I should try and get the present owner to give me the whole logbook without tearing off the part he's supposed to send back to tell them it's being exported?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,002 ✭✭✭✭Esel

So just to be clear, I'm about to pick up a vehicle from NI this week and I should try and get the present owner to give me the whole logbook without tearing off the part he's supposed to send back to tell them it's being exported?
    The seller must give you the V5C. They can keep the 'export slip', you don't need that, but you definitely need the rest! They simply have to write in to say the car had been sold for export.

The procedure is explained on the DVLA website. Find the page and send the link to the seller in advance.

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭billy few mates

Esel wrote: »
    The seller must give you the V5C. They can keep the 'export slip', you don't need that, but you definitely need the rest! They simply have to write in to say the car had been sold for export.

The procedure is explained on the DVLA website. Find the page and send the link to the seller in advance.

Thanks, so I just let them fill in the export certificate (section 11) of the form and tear that section off and I need the rest of the form?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,002 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Thanks, so I just let them fill in the export certificate (section 11) of the form and tear that section off and I need the rest of the form?
    Yes, but they don't even need the export slip. A letter from them to state car exported is enough. Let them have the slip if it keeps them happy.

Clarify this with them in advance by providing the link that details the procedure to avoid any snags on the day you are doing the deal.

Not your ornery onager

Advertisement