Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Bought a car on auction in UK without v5

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,796 ✭✭✭Isambard

query answered on the other thread, maybe a Mod could amalgamate the posts?

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭11wingnut

Did you get sorted? I am in a similar predicament.. Tried export cert first then ni address for v5 but they recorded it as exported now want utility bill for ni address ..

• Registered Users Posts: 9,611 ✭✭✭ba_barabus

11wingnut wrote: »
    Did you get sorted? I am in a similar predicament.. Tried export cert first then ni address for v5 but they recorded it as exported now want utility bill for ni address ..

That's where I got snookered.

Are you friends with someone with a TAN number who could import the car for you and "sell" it to you.

It's a possible avenue.

the problem is the UK computer shows it has been exported already and there is no paperwork to register it in Ireland. In a case like this, it would need to be re-registered as a Uk car to generate a V5C to use to re-reg it here, and you need a UK address to do that. Nightmare.

Not only an address needed , but utility bill and license

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭Car99

Isambard wrote: »
    the problem is the UK computer shows it has been exported already and there is no paperwork to register it in Ireland. In a case like this, it would need to be re-registered as a Uk car to generate a V5C to use to re-reg it here, and you need a UK address to do that. Nightmare.

I rang DVLA about getting a new V5 for a car that is on their system as being exported , they said to get a new V5 the car would have to be brought back to the UK and registered again, I believe they have to check the car physically to issue a new V5 . The same way our VRT crowd inspect cars when we want to reg them in Ireland.

And the car needs a current UK MOT to be registered in the UK or NI .

I have not seen or herd of a physical inspection ,, but they are being awkward to europeans.

I have not seen or herd of a physical inspection ,, but they are being awkward to europeans.

I don't know if they do theinspections but they say on their info page they may request to inspect the car.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 2,957 Mod ✭✭✭✭macplaxton

Car99 wrote: »
    And the car needs a current UK MOT to be registered in the UK or NI .

Not quite. Whilst still in the EU, they have to mutually recognise other member states valid certs. If it has no current test cert, it'll need a MOT.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 2,957 Mod ✭✭✭✭macplaxton

Car99 wrote: »
    I don't know if they do theinspections but they say on their info page they may request to inspect the car.

They don't do them themselves any more since they closed all the local VROs. I think they subcontracted the job out to SGS. They don't check all cars, just some.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭gstack

Hi folks
    I am in a similar position to 11-wingnut and others , bought a car, dealer sent VC5 to Swansea DVLA who have now listed the car as exported .
    Do I have to re-register ?
    What is the exact procedure ?
    I have a friend in the uk whom is willing to help but I would like to be clear in my own head about what needs to be done first.
    Do I re-register in his name as he is UK resident has UK licence , utilities etc ?
    Any advice appreciated

gstack wrote: »
    Do I re-register in his name as he is UK resident has UK licence , utilities etc ?
    Any advice appreciated

That would be your easiest option.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,001 ✭✭✭✭Esel

I'm pretty sure the car has to be in the UK to be re-registered there.

Not your ornery onager

i think they may want to inspect it but possibly won't.

You can't just re-register it in his name as it is marked as exported. You'll have to go through the import procedure in order to get a new V5C issued in your friends name and address. You can then use this to register the car in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭gstack

i think they may want to inspect it but possibly won't.

You can't just re-register it in his name as it is marked as exported. You'll have to go through the import procedure in order to get a new V5C issued in your friends name and address. You can then use this to register the car in Ireland.
    Hi Isambard so will I have to import it in his name first to re-register it? just trying to clarify

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭TheBoyConor

I'd say the best bet here is put the car up on donedeal as sold as seen for a knockdown cash price and get rid of it asap.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,045 ✭✭✭Whocare

I'd say the best bet here is put the car up on donedeal as sold as seen for a knockdown cash price and get rid of it asap.

Who would buy it without a v5 no one

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭TheBoyConor

An import dealer perhaps. But they'd only give you small money.

you could also break it and sell it for parts.

gstack wrote: »
    Hi Isambard so will I have to import it in his name first to re-register it? just trying to clarify

you'll have to import it back into the UK (on paper as a minimum)to get it in his UK name and then re-import it here. You have to get a V5C somehow otherwise you can't reg it here.

you'll have to import it back into the UK (on paper as a minimum)to get it in his UK name and then re-import it here. You have to get a V5C somehow otherwise you can't reg it here.

Correct , should only be a paperwork exercise.. i will tell you how i get on.. Swansey are being very non european , they say the country you import it into will sort it. They have not had to deal with spanish nct company who say no way.

• Advertisement

Correct , should only be a paperwork exercise.. i will tell you how i get on.. Swansey are being very non european , they say the country you import it into will sort it. They have not had to deal with spanish nct company who say no way.

Ireland won't play ball either, you need the V5C.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,045 ✭✭✭Whocare

I think it be a good idea asking a car dealers who import lot UK car what your options as he may you came across this situation before

What car is it?

Ireland won't play ball either, you need the V5C.

It is a spanish company that do the NCT AND VRT

• Registered Users Posts: 12,751 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

car will have to go back to UK to get a new V5C. NI an option ??

I still don't understand how people are still getting caught with this. RoI drivers have been. importing cars from UK forever: this is not new.

And the new V5C even has it written on it that it MUST be given to a person exporting it so that it can be re-reg'd in the new owners country.

Does no one read anything anymore ??

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭jlow1

The dealer should apply for a permanent export cert on your behalf.
    Lean on them to sort it, its their mistake!
    or else maybe apply for one using your mates address.
    This will suffice for the VRT.

Also see what i did on this thread.
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=111385592#post111385592

Difference here is there had been no export cert submitted to DVLA.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭hi5

galwaytt wrote: »
    car will have to go back to UK to get a new V5C. NI an option ??

I still don't understand how people are still getting caught with this. RoI drivers have been. importing cars from UK forever: this is not new.

And the new V5C even has it written on it that it MUST be given to a person exporting it so that it can be re-reg'd in the new owners country.

Does no one read anything anymore ??

Don't underestimate how many in the UK think Ireland is part of the UK and would insist on sending all paperwork to the DVLA.

jlow1 wrote: »
    The dealer should apply for a permanent export cert on your behalf.
    Lean on them to sort it, its their mistake!
    or else maybe apply for one using your mates address.
    This will suffice for the VRT.

the whole problem is that they stopped issuing Certs of Export last February

• Advertisement

the whole problem is that they stopped issuing Certs of Export last February

I am well aware of that - see other thread - there is no reason why they cant send one to the dealer that sold the car though is there?
    I assume they just don't issue them to people outside of the UK.

Advertisement