Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

09-02-2019, 08:43   #1
pawelba

Bought a car on auction in UK without v5

Bought a car on auction in UK without v5, DVLA used to send cert of permanent export which was enough to register the car here. They stopped doing that on 14th of Jan 2019. So if the car has neither v5 nor the cert, is there any way to vrt it?
Can apply for v5 replacement giving them my friend's uk address? Or if the car is in ireland already it won't work?
Advertisement
09-02-2019, 12:28   #2
macplaxton

Don't buy a car without a V5C!

https://www.gov.uk/taking-vehicles-out-of-uk
(3) thanks from:
09-02-2019, 13:48   #3
Isambard

Quote:
Originally Posted by macplaxton View Post
Don't buy a car without a V5C!

https://www.gov.uk/taking-vehicles-out-of-uk
especially if that's really true about not sending export certs any more.
Thanks from:
09-02-2019, 19:29   #4
macplaxton

It is really true.

https://www.gov.uk/government/public...rmanent-export
10-02-2019, 07:47   #5
galwaytt

Send a message via Skype™ to galwaytt
Quote:
Originally Posted by pawelba View Post
Bought a car on auction in UK without v5, DVLA used to send cert of permanent export which was enough to register the car here. They stopped doing that on 14th of Jan 2019. So if the car has neither v5 nor the cert, is there any way to vrt it?
Can apply for v5 replacement giving them my friend's uk address? Or if the car is in ireland already it won't work?
How do you know they owned it if you didn't see the V5 ??

Even if you did see it, you still need it with you. The amount of people who let the seller 'send it to the DVLC first' boggles : does no-one read anything anymore? It actually says it on it.

And the sellers are equally uninformed.
Thanks from:
Advertisement
10-02-2019, 14:15   #6
pawelba

buying and selling for last few years. most of the cars from auctions do not have v5 as they are destroyed by insurance companies. up to 14.01.19 you could get cert of export.
now - you can apply for replacement v5 but you need uk address.
i was wondering if anybody has done it already or if there is any other way to register it here?
11-02-2019, 15:14   #7
macplaxton

Quote:
Originally Posted by galwaytt View Post
How do you know they owned it if you didn't see the V5 ??
You still don't know they owned it. The name on the V5C is the "keeper", the one they send the fines to, not necessarily the legal owner, which could be a finance co or other.

Either way, the current procedure is what it is. Either you work with that, or give up.

There are ways of registering an unregistered vehicle, but the procedure is a complete ball-ache compared to just have a vehicle registration certificate from another country to hand.
Thanks from:
11-02-2019, 15:36   #8
galwaytt

Send a message via Skype™ to galwaytt
Quote:
Originally Posted by macplaxton View Post
You still don't know they owned it. The name on the V5C is the "keeper", the one they send the fines to, not necessarily the legal owner, which could be a finance co or other.

Either way, the current procedure is what it is. Either you work with that, or give up.

There are ways of registering an unregistered vehicle, but the procedure is a complete ball-ache compared to just have a vehicle registration certificate from another country to hand.
True, but importing aside, a car without paperwork is...........a paperweight. Or boat anchor.
11-02-2019, 16:09   #9
biko
Arbiter

Moved out from a thread about VRT
Advertisement
02-03-2019, 12:46   #10
Vladp

Is NIreland address any good?
03-03-2019, 11:19   #11
macplaxton

NI address is good with the DVLA,.
31-05-2019, 09:54   #12
11wingnut

In a similar situation .. is new v5 to uk address only option..? or is there an understanding vrt person?
13-06-2019, 01:41   #13
smc1993

vc5 form (logbook)

hi I am in similar situation I bought a car but didn't know I had to take the vc5 form so the seller sent it to DVLA Swansea and they still have not sent me out anything will they send me any sort of proof of ownership or does anyone know what I have to do to get new log book its causing me a lot of hassle at min and cant seem to get a answer anywhere any advice will help ? is there any way to get the car's VRT done ??
13-06-2019, 09:10   #14
Isambard

Quote:
Originally Posted by smc1993 View Post
hi I am in similar situation I bought a car but didn't know I had to take the vc5 form so the seller sent it to DVLA Swansea and they still have not sent me out anything will they send me any sort of proof of ownership or does anyone know what I have to do to get new log book its causing me a lot of hassle at min and cant seem to get a answer anywhere any advice will help ? is there any way to get the car's VRT done ??
They won't send a new one out to an Irish address. If you contact them, they might send the old one to you, if they can trace it. You are probably looking at penalties for late VRT payment as I doubt it's a quick process. I know of no other way to do it as they no longer send out Certs of Export.
13-06-2019, 23:40   #15
11wingnut

Swansea say it is up to the country the car is exported to . to get a new book.. they obviously never dealt with vrt office here ,, An Ni or Gb Address is most likely an easy way to go but takes up to 6 weeks costs 25 stg on dvla web site .
Thanks from:

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion